Trips Outside Bangkok 3 - Maeklong Market

davejones

For my 3rd trip outside Bangkok it was a visit to Maeklong Market to see the famous train that travels through the market and directly over the fruit and veg. After seeing the waste water from the train dripping on to the fruit, veg and fish, I didn't fancy buying any food there.

We traveled by car, as it's a pretty easy drive, and there is a large car park 2-3 mins walk from the market. But for those that don't have a car you can get a van from Victory Monument for about 70 baht. The van takes around one hour to get there.

And here's the train coming through the market. It's a sight worth seeing.

There isn't much else of note in the town though, so we left soon after the train left the station and made our way to Amphawa Floating Market, which is a 5-10 min drive away. You can get a van for 10-20 baht. Almost all visitors to thsi market are Thai, so it's pretty authentic. The main attract is eating food. While we were there one of the Thai princesses visited the market and everyone was told to put their cameras and phones away, so no pictures.

This was an interesting day out.

What I didn't realise at the time is that damnoen saduak floating market is nearby. If I'd know I would have gone there as well. Another day maybe.

Next weekend will be Trip 4 - a weekend in Pattaya.

• Like 1

Very nice videos. Thanks for sharing! That train one is amazing.

I'd see the train video before, so it was great to see it in real life. One problem was waiting for the train. There were quite a few tourists waiting for the 11.10 train, but it didn't arrive until 12 noon. Apparently this is a regular thing and you should expect the train when it actually turns up.

If you can go early it would probably be better to see the earlier train at around 8am. Less tourists and a fuller market.

Was on my way last year, took the train from Wongwian Yai. What I didn't know at that time is that you have to change trains, don't recall exactly where. There are two railway stations, about 3 km away from each other. For the second train I had to wait 2:30h, so I was pissed and returned by Van to BKK.

So maybe next time I'll go straight by van.

Very nice videos. Thanks for sharing! That train one is amazing.

I'd see the train video before, so it was great to see it in real life. One problem was waiting for the train. There were quite a few tourists waiting for the 11.10 train, but it didn't arrive until 12 noon. Apparently this is a regular thing and you should expect the train when it actually turns up.

If you can go early it would probably be better to see the earlier train at around 8am. Less tourists and a fuller market.

I've been to Maeklong, and we were lucky as a train came through about 10 minutes after we arrived at the market. I had heard about it before and seen videos - but it is truly different and an experience when you are there.