Bangkok Prepares For Possible Flood

webfact

There won't be widescale flooding this year. There will always be some local flooding somewhere in Thailand. For the pedantic among you, Yinluck was referring to widescale flooding, and she is correct in what she said.

ermm.. and how the <deleted> would u know?

I just use common sense. It seems to be in very short supply these days. But here are some clues for you. Last year's flood was a once-in-50-years flood, so that means it will happen on average once every 50 years. The dams have less water than last year. So just those tow things should be enough to tell anyone with enough common sense that there won't be widespread flooding this year. Add in the fact that there has been some work on flood prevention, etc and it becomes even clearer.

So what's your excuse for not knowing?

We hope your excuse it not having been here last year. To say its a once in a 50 year occurence is incorrect: trees cut down in the north, big bag, mismanagement and corrupt opportunities to be had by politicians, poor decisions based on water levels in dams...it doesn't boil down to a once in a 50 year occurence,

• Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...or do they just have no idea what they are talking about ?

The answer lies within your question wai.gif

oops.. I obviously was not clearly awake asking the question and having it answered myself. coffee1.gif

Edited by stefb1964

I sometimes wonder if some of the negative remarks come from members that don't read more than headlines.

Thereby missing the story whilst drooling over the emotional headline that was meant to get them to actually read the article and discover the facts as reported.

Yingluck actually stated that there would be no flooding this year if the defensive actions that has agreed are actually put in place.The agreement that she extracted from provincial engineers of the relevant risk areas is that if defenses required at high risk spillover sites could not be completed in time for this flood season that all effort would be focused on the extreme risk spillover points.

This is exactly what has been largely been achieved already in Nakon Sawan and Bangkok. The completion of the upgraded flood defense projects in their entirety will take several years to complete.

That is why Yingluck has extracted a commitment from each of those responsible for executing each of the critical upgrading flood defense Projects.

So the provincial engineers have to direct their effort and the money that Yingluck set aside for this year’s flood defense contracts to ensure that critical spillover sites are defended before the flood season begins.

The extrme risk spillover locations Have already had as much of the additional defenses built.as was feasible in such a short time.

Further many weeks ago Yingluck instructed that filling of Dams should not exceed 65% of capacity this year in order to avoid having to open any Dam’s spillway sluice at a critical time. This order is to avoid a bore of water streaming south causing spillovers.

Personallyt I suspect that Yingluck has achieved an outstanding outcome. Bangkok and Nakon Sawan are taken care of to the greatest extent possible for this year.

Klong Sluice gates a freely operable, Pumping sytems up to specification.. Canals have had weed and debris removed.

I’m confident that there will be no serious flooding of central Thaland or Bangkok this year.

I sometimes wonder if some of the negative remarks come from members that don't read more than headlines.

Thereby missing the story whilst drooling over the emotional headline that was meant to get them to actually read the article and discover the facts as reported.

Yingluck actually stated that there would be no flooding this year if the defensive actions that has agreed are actually put in place.The agreement that she extracted from provincial engineers of the relevant risk areas is that if defenses required at high risk spillover sites could not be completed in time for this flood season that all effort would be focused on the extreme risk spillover points.

This is exactly what has been largely been achieved already in Nakon Sawan and Bangkok. The completion of the upgraded flood defense projects in their entirety will take several years to complete.

That is why Yingluck has extracted a commitment from each of those responsible for executing each of the critical upgrading flood defense Projects.

So the provincial engineers have to direct their effort and the money that Yingluck set aside for this year’s flood defense contracts to ensure that critical spillover sites are defended before the flood season begins.

The extrme risk spillover locations Have already had as much of the additional defenses built.as was feasible in such a short time.

Further many weeks ago Yingluck instructed that filling of Dams should not exceed 65% of capacity this year in order to avoid having to open any Dam’s spillway sluice at a critical time. This order is to avoid a bore of water streaming south causing spillovers.

Personallyt I suspect that Yingluck has achieved an outstanding outcome. Bangkok and Nakon Sawan are taken care of to the greatest extent possible for this year.

Klong Sluice gates a freely operable, Pumping sytems up to specification.. Canals have had weed and debris removed.

I’m confident that there will be no serious flooding of central Thaland or Bangkok this year.

Big, bold font. I could almost read it without glasses. Against forum rules, I'm afraid, but readable!

Thanks for your confidence. I now feel so much better.

That's impossible. Yingluck "promised" there would be no flooding this year.

You win today's prize for most original comment. Well done. Your prize is a course in English Comprehension. I hope you enjoy it. Once again, well done.

Blow me, the grammar (grandma) police are out in force. Sorry I'm not one of you TEFL underpaid English teachers. I am however a highly paid offshore worker who couldn't give a toss what you think of my "comprehension"...tongue.png

CAN U PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INFO ABOUT HOW TO GET AN OFF SHORE JOB OR EVEN AN ON SHORE JOB.

IM A BUILDER, BRICKIE BY TRADE BUT HAVE MASS EXPERIENCE IN ALL ASPECTS AND WOULD LIKE A JOB

OTHER THAN TEACH ENGLISH, CHEERS

You win today's prize for most original comment. Well done. Your prize is a course in English Comprehension. I hope you enjoy it. Once again, well done.

Blow me, the grammar (grandma) police are out in force. Sorry I'm not one of you TEFL underpaid English teachers. I am however a highly paid offshore worker who couldn't give a toss what you think of my "comprehension"...tongue.png

CAN U PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INFO ABOUT HOW TO GET AN OFF SHORE JOB OR EVEN AN ON SHORE JOB.

IM A BUILDER, BRICKIE BY TRADE BUT HAVE MASS EXPERIENCE IN ALL ASPECTS AND WOULD LIKE A JOB

OTHER THAN TEACH ENGLISH, CHEERS

I Teaching English to. But I want a job on shore or of shore or even somewhere in the Between. Can anyone tell me how to making a lots of money in Thai Baths or other monies? Thanks

When reading comments here I wonder why people complain that the Thai education system don't teach students analytical skills, because it's obvious that it's lacking in other countries too.

To answer a few misconspections of those who read nothing more than their own comments on this website and don't venture out of their local bar.

The Agricultural sector contributes 13,3% to Thailands GDP and rice is between 40% and 50% of that - 5% to 6% of GDP. Approximately 2 mil rai is at present effected by drought, but this could change if rainfall improves during the rest of the raining season. The rainfall in the major dams catchment areas are normal, but below the dams the rainfall have been below average. The government instructed the dams to be emptied to about 45% of capacity to allow storage of flood water from the north and north east. The emptying of the dams started in March this year and was completed in May. Off course something the previous government neglected to do last year and which contributed to the flooding in Bangkok. The dams have sufficient water in them and are letting water out to alleviate the drought conditions downstream, they can however not continue to do that as then they may run out of water during the dry season.

If you want to check if a flood is on it's way goto NASA's website and compare last year Septembers satelite pictures with the present ones. But this being Thailand two tropical storms after each other can change everything and thus they must prepare downstream for any possible flooding.

You have way too much time on your hands, speculation is more fun.

It all depends where your at my girlfriends family outside Mae Hong Song are getting flooded

Yes, and as I said at the time ... that promise was "based upon what"..?

Statistics...50 and 100 year floods rarely are back to back...unlikely with a drought upstream to have much flooding. Seems some areas flood fairly often in the years I have been here.

I'v been here 45 yr s and Bangkok has flooded every year. I'v lived in Satorn area and the water level came up to ones knees each year.... What will be different this year I wonder. I now live out side Bangkok and pray we don't get the same as last years flooding.....No one knows a thing until it happens..........TIT cheesy.gif

Statistically, there is no relationship about the probability to get 1-in-50 years flood this year assuming you just have got one of this kind last year. Thailand may experience 1-in-50 years flood three years in the row but the probability get the same size of flood for the fourth consecutive year remains 1-in-50 years, still.

1-in-50 years flood is in fact the average of one the most extreme flood event in 50 years. Therefore each year shares the same average probability of occurence, i.e. 2% or 1-in-50.

Would it possibe to have 1-in-50 years flood back to back with 1-in-50 years drought in a matter of two months? My guess is "yes". It is possible. Therefore, if you are assuming you just have 1-in-50 years drought in Thailand right now you can't say for sure there will be no 1-in-50 years flood two months from now.

I too incline to beleive there won't be any major flood about the size of last year in Thailand this year. I'm sure I'm 98% of the time correct about this one. But I know for sure such beleive is not done based on scientific reasoning.

Put speculation aside. Assuming Thailand has the same flood as the last year's flood this year, for both magnitude & duration, is Thailand better prepared this year than the last year? Answer-As I can observe from distant land, Thailand is better prepared this year than the last year. You can expect situation getting better this year for the same event. I don't say the preparation is perfect but it is a lot better this time as far as flood control point of view. To a certain extent, I think Thailand water management experts "overkill" the potential flood in the north. If I were them I would have kept reserve margin for flood control for Bhumibol and Sirkit dam up to 7 billion cubic meters rather than 10 billion cubic meters as per now, but I will make all practical efforts to preserve the margin until 1st October. In October I will fill up the reserve margin with flood waters systematically. The ultimate target is the dams shall be allowed to be fully filled not before 15th Nov. This target has to be met even if I have to open sluice gates gradually under control manner.

There won't be widescale flooding this year. There will always be some local flooding somewhere in Thailand. For the pedantic among you, Yinluck was referring to widescale flooding, and she is correct in what she said.

ermm.. and how the <deleted> would u know?

do those asterisks make up the words: Fon Tok the thai for 'rain'. Whether ( weather) or not I cant understand why idiots are trying to link weather patterns with government statements. Its all nonsence.

At the moment the skies look pretty clear, if there is a deluge on the scale of last year the government plans to avoid another disaster seem lacking. Yingluck's saying that the country is ready for the monsoons is not born out by the Governor of Bangkok. Dykes and flood barriers, klongs and dredging so far are projected to be finished next year not this year.

I hope the monsoons are light enough to be sufficient for irrigation but not so much as to test the Flood Relief program. Yingluck is in cloud cuckoo land with her idiotic platitudes.