More Bad News For California Wow In Chiang Mai

WOWcm

Amazes me that people still talk positively about their amazing lifetime memberships, which is a major reason why CW is obviously in trouble to the point where they cannot / will not recover and return to being profitable (if they ever were - was the business model aimed simple at producing a revenue stream for as long as possible, with no real roi?).

Amazes me that people believe a business such as this, which has large cash expenses every month can survive when a large % of their members pay once only (lifetime membership).

FYI. Paragon gym in Bangkok going downhill as well. First no towels, then no soap and now the Sauna is not working properly. Water fountain turned off 6 weeks ago and they no longer sell water. Ironically I observed about 5 people signing up for new memberships today ! It seems to me that fewer members are going there now which might mean many have joined other gyms already.

California at esplanade in Bangkok is also open. I bought lifetime membership at 11000 baht 6 years ago so I can't really complain. I've had my monies worth.

Good for you, and I suspect there's quite a few of others of us, the local armchair economists not withstanding.

• 1 month later...

Heard today from the cleaning ladies that today (Thursday 4th Oct) was the last day for CWE Chiang Mai, could be a rumor or just gossip, but there was no regular staff around to confirm/deny the story. I keep expecting the doors to be locked when I get there, it's difficult to imagine they can stay open much longer.

Any new gossip? Just wanted to report that it's 2013 and the CW in Chiang Mai is still open....but barely.

Heard today from the cleaning ladies that today (Thursday 4th Oct) was the last day for CWE Chiang Mai, could be a rumor or just gossip, but there was no regular staff around to confirm/deny the story. I keep expecting the doors to be locked when I get there, it's difficult to imagine they can stay open much longer.

Any new gossip? Just wanted to report that it's 2013 and the CW in Chiang Mai is still open....but barely.

I joined Hiilside 2 weeks ago because I thought it would close within the week. Wrong I guess but it is quickly falling apart but still one of the better options in the area. Hillside is only a few minutes away and the fumes were killing me travelling from the near the Zoo.

im a member of another gym what always but me off wow was is if airport plaza does not open till 11 how can someone like me train

as a like to go at 7 am or do they let people in that are gym members before the general public ?

Yes, wow open 8 am, sunday 9 am.

Enter 3th floor (car) or next to the south entrance.

I joined Hiilside 2 weeks ago because I thought it would close within the week. Wrong I guess but it is quickly falling apart but still one of the better options in the area. Hillside is only a few minutes away and the fumes were killing me travelling from the near the Zoo.

I've been putting off finding another place since Wow remains open. It's still open, but for how much longer, nobody knows.

FYI. Paragon gym in Bangkok going downhill as well. First no towels, then no soap and now the Sauna is not working properly. Water fountain turned off 6 weeks ago and they no longer sell water. Ironically I observed about 5 people signing up for new memberships today ! It seems to me that fewer members are going there now which might mean many have joined other gyms already.

in the capital, Siam Paragon branch is closed....I understand Espanade branch (at MRT Cultural Sation) is still (barely) opened..

Chiang Mai branch is still open? I'm surprised...

They did well selling "Lifetime Memberships" to people like me who paid for one but never go....sad.png

I still pop in every year to renew it each year as one day I "might" want to go and do some excercise...its a comfort blanket for me, but don't worry about it closing till the day I decide to actively start using it.

With my luck that will be the day it closes for goodblink.png

Love the new sign they have on reception that says that membership renewals must be made at least 28 days in advance of expiry...that's a clever little trick that will probably get rid of another 10% of the membership. If it's legal or not...do they care?

What are some decent options to California Wow?

Depends what kind of training you do, I go to city gym (you can google it for map)

30 baht a time and 500 baht once a year, all free weights and a couple of machines

Really good gym, good comraderie and very cheap, you can shower there and park out front.

Dont expect to find a suana and air con, its a powerlifting gym.

Good Luck,

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Oh My God!! I wonder how all the middle aged sulky looking would be hi so Women of Chiang Mai who pose in California Wow will entertain themselves now until the Cosmetic Department and Hairdressing Salons of Airport Plaza open at 11am????!!!!!!!

Oh My God!! I wonder how all the middle aged sulky looking would be hi so Women of Chiang Mai who pose in California Wow will entertain themselves now until the Cosmetic Department and Hairdressing Salons of Airport Plaza open at 11am????!!!!!!!

Guess they will find another gym? Did a "would be hi so women" perhaps reject your advances an early morning?

Edited by Awk

Guess they will find another gym? Did a "would be hi so women" perhaps reject your advances an early morning?

Must have....he sure sounds bitter

Always nice to see a post by an unopinionated person. NOT

Is there any thing in Chiang Mai you don't dislike?

Who mentioned anything about disliking something in this thread? Certainly not me!! Obviously my humour is way too satirical for some of you!!

I have noticed an increase in membership at Fitness Thailand, young Thai's and farang who hog equipment while talking to their tee rak on the phone or just gas bag with other farang and seem put off when asked if they have finished with the equipment.

Would be great to see some money put into Fitness Thailand though would make a good gym better, btw I am no expert, I am happy with what I use there but there could be some improvements made

I have noticed an increase in membership at Fitness Thailand, young Thai's and farang who hog equipment while talking to their tee rak on the phone or just gas bag with other farang and seem put off when asked if they have finished with the equipment.

Would be great to see some money put into Fitness Thailand though would make a good gym better, btw I am no expert, I am happy with what I use there but there could be some improvements made

As a former California member I have been searching / trying a few gyms around.

Fitness Thailand could be great, However !!

They have lots of good equipment which require "free weight plates" to operate, but seems to only have enough weight plates to cater for about 10 % of the equipment.

I went at 14:00hrs and wasn't busy, but was still searchung around to find the plates. I should imagine it would be very annoying if it was even a little more busy.

Wouldn't take a lot of money to kit the place out with a whole lot more weight plates.

Anyway, I shall not be using it again for that one reason.

Who mentioned anything about disliking something in this thread? Certainly not me!! Obviously my humour is way too satirical for some of you!!

It is a package deal I am very familiar with you on another thread dishing 3 restaurants. Interesting enough one poster mentioned a good food place with good beer and your attitude changed you got excited. I am familiar with the other three and they do not rely on booze to draw people in. They do like any good restaurant sell it but it is not the big draw.

Make what you will of it. I have and see no reason here to change my mind.

Have to agree w/a lack of plates and disrepair of equipment etc. but I can have a good work out esp. in the off hours. Of course would help if some had some gym etiquette (no one set per 1/2 on phone would free up some weights) and the staff would do something constructive but it's ok.

• Like 1

It is a package deal I am very familiar with you on another thread dishing 3 restaurants. Interesting enough one poster mentioned a good food place with good beer and your attitude changed you got excited. I am familiar with the other three and they do not rely on booze to draw people in. They do like any good restaurant sell it but it is not the big draw.

Make what you will of it. I have and see no reason here to change my mind.

Well Hello Dolly.....If it is your intention to imply that I am an alcoholic, you couldnt be more wrong!! In fact, I hardly drink at all, just the odd glass of wine at home, so I m afraid you ll have to find another way of insulting me if that is your intention because that one fell on very stony ground!!