Samui Police Are Going To Need Bigger Holding Cells

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm back in a few weeks so I should expect the roads to be pretty quiet while the the taxis are in Surat having a meter fitted. I'll have to get a friend to pick me up from the airport I guess too.

As I slight aside though still on topic. Never been refused a pick up, I have just refused to pay the asking price.

Taxis in Samui don't even have meters. What's the point of installing them if you are never going to use them?

Taxis in Samui don't even have meters. What's the point of installing them if you are never going to use them?

They do have meters, most of the times hidden behind panels or inside the glove box.

They do have meters, most of the times hidden behind panels or inside the glove box.

This is so, as far as I know.

The question is: "Arrested by whom?"

Big C?

Big C?

That could put things in "legal limbo" for years, trying to decipher the arrest reports !!!! biggrin.png

• Like 1

They do indeed HAVE meters.

Good luck finding one that works! biggrin.png

I think that the problem is that they are still in the wrapping that they were shipped with.

Out of warrenty and never been used. sad.png

In the real world - it's never going to happen on Samui.

There has always been a hotline to call for 'erring' taxi drivers, yet in Bangkok some still refuse to use the meters and there are always some that 'do not want to go there' and refuse the fare. Especially close to shift change times.

• Like 1

Big C?

I cannot do it as if I started to make citerzern arrests on people I might accidentally nick myself

There has always been a hotline to call for 'erring' taxi drivers, yet in Bangkok some still refuse to use the meters and there are always some that 'do not want to go there' and refuse the fare. Especially close to shift change times.

Yeah this more about being implemented in Bangkok, as it is becoming a problem there (i know it's a joke here, but more tourists pass through Bangkok than anywhere). I was there recently and had daily issues with cabs, either wouldn't turn the meter on, or wouldn't go to the place I needed to go. Rarely got the first cab I pulled over.

• Like 1

I got a taxi driver to turn his meter on once. I was going from the Ghost Road 7/11 in Bangrak to the ring road near Fisherman's Village. We already agreed on a price and I asked him to turn it on just out of curiosity. I forgot the exact amount, but I seem to remember that after including the 90 baht surcharge, it came out to about 50 baht less than what we had agreed on.

I got a taxi driver to turn his meter on once. I was going from the Ghost Road 7/11 in Bangrak to the ring road near Fisherman's Village. We already agreed on a price and I asked him to turn it on just out of curiosity. I forgot the exact amount, but I seem to remember that after including the 90 baht surcharge, it came out to about 50 baht less than what we had agreed on.

They want 700 baht to go from Lamai to the airport, I'm pretty sure the meter would show a lot less than that, including surcharge.

has anyone every had the one in a million chance of having had a meter switched on and charged via the meter for the journey

how does it work. the law requires themto turn them on but the mafia does not allowtheir driver to do so

so who is the winner. 1 nill to the mafia

They want 700 baht to go from Lamai to the airport, I'm pretty sure the meter would show a lot less than that, including surcharge.

I got a taxi from the lamai to the airport on meter , and it was 230 thb , but was still charged 600

I got a taxi from the lamai to the airport on meter , and it was 230 thb , but was still charged 600

600 to and 700 from is the going rate I think. If you head down to departures you can get a run back to Lamai for 3-400 Baht if that is where the taxi is based. If I don't have checked in luggage (most times) then I call a motor-taxi guy I often use while still in BKK who only charges me 150 Baht.

surely you would not have to pay if the meter says 230 plus the 90 baht. did u make a note of the taxi number and take a photo of the meter then call the police.

getting money back can be difficult but noot giving money is slightly easier.

what is the number for the BIB anyway

surely you would not have to pay if the meter says 230 plus the 90 baht. did u make a note of the taxi number and take a photo of the meter then call the police.

getting money back can be difficult but noot giving money is slightly easier.

what is the number for the BIB anyway

I had asked just out of curiosity I turn the meter on to see how much it should be , and the driver didn't mind , as long as the 600 far was paid

i remember a few yrs ago the boys in brown were pulling over the taxies and handing out tickets if they were not using the meter later the local press reported that the police arrested dozens of drivers i assumed from this that the law man considers a ticket which is a summons and arrest having said this, I have never seen a taxi use a meter on samui.

They do indeed HAVE meters.

Good luck finding one that works! biggrin.png

one who was using his taxi meter years ago was simply shot dead........no meter no taxi should be our mantra in samui

There is a huge oversupply of taxis on Samui resulting in many only getting perhaps 1 job a day so they have to charge the Earth to make anything. Enforcing meter usage will over time reduce the number of taxis until we are left with a sustainable level.