Crackdown On Cabbies Who Refuse To Take Passengers

webfact

I speak Thai fluently so it usually makes for pleasant exchanges. Once in a while there is one who wont use the meter - without fail it is at the airport. I lean forward and push the button for him and we both laugh like hell.

I have a heart for these guys. The govt has raised flag fall and rates only once (couple baht) SINCE 1996 !! These humps make 400 Baht a day avg. And the city allows thousands more on the streets than there should be, thereby reducing their possible fares. Its a shit job, but easy.. which means perfect for many.

I would accept a raise in fares if they could control numbers, driver street knowledge, and get rid of all the old small cars. Give the guys more money, limit the number and get better service. Plus fewer cars on roads. That would be an improvement.

• Like 2

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BANGKOK: -- Cabbies who refuse to take passengers can now be arrested if those affected call the 1197 hotline or visit www.trafficpolice.go.th and provide the taxi's licence plate number, Pol Colonel Weerawit Watjanapukka of the Traffic Police Command said yesterday.

Thats all well and good saying provide the Taxi's licence plate number but if the person is just yer average tourist how the heck do they do that ?? because if it was me I would be reporting it as Squiggly squiggly Squiggly and a few numbers because I havent the first idea about what those squiggly symbols in the Thai alphabet represent ! at least if I am on a trip to Bali and I have a problem with a Bluebird taxi I can just read the card on the dashboard with the drivers name and number and report it to their office where there is usually competent in english to take the complaint .

Step 1 - Snap a picture with your camera phone of the licence plate as he drives away.

Step 2 - Ask a Thai (Wife, employee, hotel employee) to translate the letters for you / type them when you send the complaint or have them make the call for you.

There are many places at night >20:00, where it is impossible to get a taxi who will use the meter resulting in having to walk some way to an area where you can find one. As far as refusing a fare is concerned they are not like Black cab drivers in London, often not knowing where it is that you want to go or no idea how to get there. Some are looking for a fare in the direction they're going as it's end of shift time. However, I've also come across some who have used the back roads during the 'rush hour' to get to my destination or have dropped me off at a BTS station part way due to traffic problems. If you get in a dirty taxi it's your choice. Win some lose some.

How about a crackdown on not using meters, and then on tuk-tuks for being... annoying, smoke-belching tuk-tuks? wink.png

I am one of your fans. Many times I stay at a hotel in Bangkok for 1 or 2 nights. I try to get a taxi to the airport and he gives me a price, I say use meter they say no and tell me aprice again so I say no.

I would love the police to get these guys wanting the cashies. I have offten just managed to get the airport before they close the check in.

What about when you get in in Rangsit and ask to go to Bang Na when the guy has to return his taxi to Klong 3 by 3 o clock or get charged for the extra time?

There are legitimate reasons why they can't take you sometimes, I think. When they are polite about it I don't mind. It'd would be pretty bad to arrest these people - anyone?

A system like Singapore would be easy to do. Singapore taxis put a sign in the windshield that says "Changing Shift : Bedok" or wherever the taxi has to go. By doing he will get a fare that is going his way. If no sign is present, then the taxi should be prepared to go anywhere in the Bangkok Metro area that he customer requests.

• Like 2

What about when you get in in Rangsit and ask to go to Bang Na when the guy has to return his taxi to Klong 3 by 3 o clock or get charged for the extra time?

There are legitimate reasons why they can't take you sometimes, I think. When they are polite about it I don't mind. It'd would be pretty bad to arrest these people - anyone?

That's very understanding of you. Taking the taxi back, shift finishing, just off to lunch................... all refusing a fair! Do you really believe what these guys tell you?

without offending my favorite Israeli taxi station (Ben Gurion-נתב"ג).

I guess cabbies will be cabbies whereverr you are.

I use taxies all over (I'm disabled and can't use the bus). 'Whenever a cabbie can round the corner and make a circle out of a square, so he/she can get one more $ or Bhat oe Shaqel, or any other currency, i know that he/she will do it. and to tell you the truth - if they dont want my money they will not get it - so i really dont care if someone doesnt pick me up... there will always be another one.

Great idea but totally unenforceable.....

Yes it is so annoying when you hail a taxi and they refuse to take you somewhere just because there's traffic??? They should give any offender the death penalty not just a jail sentence! There's always going to be bloody traffic!! You're a cabbie in Bangkok, Manila or Jakarta...what do you expect? Where can you get a free run with no traffic? And if you're in traffic then the meter is still ticking and you're earning money just for sitting in traffic. Cabbies that refuse a fare really piss me off when they say "too much traffic". I mean if it was the end of their shift and they were going the opposit direction home then fair enough, but any other reason should be an offence.

Taxi drivers have a light in the window that denotes if they are able to pick up customers or not.. if it's red they are within their rights to refuse anyone.

If green then it should be illegal to refuse a fare or refuse to go on the meter.

I leave the back kerbside door open and flick the child-lock switch as I do so, if they refuse to go on the meter.. I don't do that if they politely say they can't take me where I want to go.

Some drivers are nasty and deserve to have their licence revoked, most seem to be honest and decent guys just trying to make a living. Its a shame that the rouge drivers give them all a good name.

I agree. The only times I have been denied a ride is mid-afternoon. Near the end of his shift with traffic at a standstill means he will be late returnng the taxi.

This paper is infuriating.

WHY all of a sudden is it such a serious offence to refuse a fare? Who decided to change the law? Where are they going to house all of these new inmates?

A fine for a minor offence and jail for refusing a fare???? Someone find this paper some journalists

It's not the paper it's the Police Col. making an announcement.

Any bets on if he has a new boss, or is new to his position?

If one doesn't stop then he might be changing shifts,

the ones who stop and then refuse when they here where you want to go, are the one's I'd report in a heartbeat.

Edited by animatic

There are many places at night >20:00, where it is impossible to get a taxi who will use the meter resulting in having to walk some way to an area where you can find one. As far as refusing a fare is concerned they are not like Black cab drivers in London, often not knowing where it is that you want to go or no idea how to get there. Some are looking for a fare in the direction they're going as it's end of shift time. However, I've also come across some who have used the back roads during the 'rush hour' to get to my destination or have dropped me off at a BTS station part way due to traffic problems. If you get in a dirty taxi it's your choice. Win some lose some.

I agree that the taxi drivers here are very variable. I find some amazing - take short cuts and really get you where you want to go quickly; I've had some who really astonished me by not wanting a tip. One guy recently paid an express toll, whilst we were all dozing, and never asked for it back! Others either don't know where they're going or are dishonest. Fiddle the meter, take you the "scenic route". etc etc; and saddly thieving out your bags too. It really is a lucky dip - you never know what you're going to get (sounds a bit Forest Gump), until you get inside. Any enforcement that favourably reduces the variability appreciated.

• Like 2

Lets be realistic, you flag down a cab and it is close to his knock off time with another driver wanting the cab, or he hasn't paid the tea money to operate in another area or whatever reason the cabbie has for not taking you and he is forced by law to take you, he will be in a shitty mood and chances are he will be even more dangerous on the roads than waiting for a driver who will willingly take you.There are enough good cabbies who are polite and are reasonable drivers so just find one of them .

True enough, for that reason I change taxi during evening / night time when I have to make a "non-interesting" trip for him to my home. I feel pity for all the Thai I see polite opening the back-door and begging if the driver is willing to give them a ride and when they close the door after a refusal and he stops for me I even ignore him to avoid to get also a refusal from his side. Also avoid to answer a driver who is already opening his front-window to get informed about my destination.

Once I was "accepted", sat in the taxi, he drove off but saw that he wanted to make extra miles and I politely asked him to make a u-turn (in Thai) where-after I got his answer "mai pai" - I don't go, end of story.

The best change you have with the yellow or blue cabs.

I speak Thai fluently so it usually makes for pleasant exchanges. Once in a while there is one who wont use the meter - without fail it is at the airport. I lean forward and push the button for him and we both laugh like hell.

I have a heart for these guys. The govt has raised flag fall and rates only once (couple baht) SINCE 1996 !! These humps make 400 Baht a day avg. And the city allows thousands more on the streets than there should be, thereby reducing their possible fares. Its a shit job, but easy.. which means perfect for many.

I would accept a raise in fares if they could control numbers, driver street knowledge, and get rid of all the old small cars. Give the guys more money, limit the number and get better service. Plus fewer cars on roads. That would be an improvement.

You must have been very lucky to have good natured taxi drivers, in a good mood at the time to allow you to switch the meter on and just "laugh like hell".

They ain't all like this and I know quite a few who would kick you out the car with a few smacks, or slash with a knife,

• Like 1

Agreed. I have never had an issue with the taxis refusing a fare. I would rather see a crack down on motorcycles driving the wrong way and weaving in and out of traffic.

• Like 1

WHY all of a sudden is it such a serious offence to refuse a fare? Who decided to change the law? Where are they going to house all of these new inmates?

A fine for a minor offence and jail for refusing a fare???? Someone find this paper some journalists

They used to have "western" Jurno's then replaced them all with folks from India and Bangladesh. (Serous)

To save even more money, many of the proof readers are out sourced back in India. Hence, this is why so much just doesn't make sense and is shallow. Some times I am not sure which is more news worth the nation or notthenation.

So true! Many friends in the industry had to move to places like Singapore becoz those in power 'thought' an Indian could do the same job. Hence the drastic drop in quality, and huge rise in errors! TIT

They used to have "western" Jurno's then replaced them all with folks from India and Bangladesh. (Serous)

To save even more money, many of the proof readers are out sourced back in India. Hence, this is why so much just doesn't make sense and is shallow. Some times I am not sure which is more news worth the nation or notthenation.

So true! Many friends in the industry had to move to places like Singapore becoz those in power 'thought' an Indian could do the same job. Hence the drastic drop in quality, and huge rise in errors! TIT

Careful of judging the Indians so hastily. Some of the most intelligent, switched on workers in the offshore industry are Indian. And lovely chaps they are too.

Agreed. I have never had an issue with the taxis refusing a fare. I would rather see a crack down on motorcycles driving the wrong way and weaving in and out of traffic.

You have been very lucky then. I and most people I know have.

Completely absurd.

Taxi driving is a business, not a public service with state-paid 9-to-5 employees.

Both buyer and seller can refuse a deal.

Does anyone think about WHY a taxi driver would refuse?

It is usually because it is bad business for him with the offered trip. Especially long ones or those where traffic can be expected to be heavy.

Or he may have a wife and kid to return to, and don't want to go for one hour with the client and one hour back.

Or he may not like the person who asks, who could be rude, drunk or whatever.

Or be uncertain about the route.

Stop making it a better option for drivers to say "no".

If refusing is too frequent (and it is), there is something wrong with the system.

Review the meter fares for longer trips, and for waiting in heavy traffic.

That will remove 90% of the problem.

Don't force people by law to take a worse business option, just because it suits those who need the service.

• Like 1

A system like Singapore would be easy to do. Singapore taxis put a sign in the windshield that says "Changing Shift : Bedok" or wherever the taxi has to go. By doing he will get a fare that is going his way. If no sign is present, then the taxi should be prepared to go anywhere in the Bangkok Metro area that he customer requests.

Or, as I have experienced in NYC ... taxi's have their "Off-Duty" light on (equivalent in Bangkok - "Wang" light off) - then they can stop and see if you are going their way, but are not obliged to take you if you are not.

But it is infuriating when, at 5:30AM, I stopped a taxi and asked to go to the nearest BTS station, to be told that he didn't know the way. "Never mind" I said (in Thai), "I do". Then he told me that his shift was ending (at 5:30AM? Never heard of that before). Another taxi came very quickly, and I was able to observe the first taxi going straight towards the BTS station until stopping to pick up another passenger. That was just racism.