Crackdown On Cabbies Who Refuse To Take Passengers

webfact

What about when you get in in Rangsit and ask to go to Bang Na when the guy has to return his taxi to Klong 3 by 3 o clock or get charged for the extra time?

There are legitimate reasons why they can't take you sometimes, I think. When they are polite about it I don't mind. It'd would be pretty bad to arrest these people - anyone?

Agreed. I have never had an issue with the taxis refusing a fare. I would rather see a crack down on motorcycles driving the wrong way and weaving in and out of traffic.

I have lived here 12 years and haven't really had problems until about two or three months ago. Now it seems that maybe 50% of the taxis i stop don't want to take me or don't want to use the meter.

An example was Mother's day about 10.30 am and the traffic was very light. I wanted to go from Asoke to Big C Ratchada. FIVE taxis said "no". I timed the journey - 6 minutes... price 55 Baht.

Last week in the evening (8 pm no rain) I wanted to go along Sukhumvit Road from Asoke to Thong Lor. I stopped about ten taxis and most asked for 300 Baht and no meter. In the end I jumped on a bus and was nearly killed as I got off in the third lane at Thong Lor BTS.blink.png

Someone is bound to ask why i didn't take BTS. Well I tried that the day before and it was so packed. I waited for 3 trains to pass before I managed to squeeze in one.

As I said i haven't really had problems until recently.

• Like 1

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will this apply to Koh Samui, the most lawless land in the nation? The taxis charge 300 baht for a 1km. trip. Neither the impotent mayor Ramnate Jaikwong, the governor of the province, the supposedly concerned new sheriff in town, or any officials will do anything about it. From what I hear the taxi mafia is more powerful than the PM. What is to be done, with these gangster drivers? Anything? Ever? I have never had a problem finding a taxi in Bangkok willing to use their meter, except on Soi 4 Nana, which I try to avoid anyway.

The crackdown is on refusing to take passengers...no taxi refuses a passenger on samui...for the good reason u point out that they don't use a meter.

This paper is infuriating.

WHY all of a sudden is it such a serious offence to refuse a fare? Who decided to change the law? Where are they going to house all of these new inmates?

A fine for a minor offence and jail for refusing a fare???? Someone find this paper some journalists

They used to have "western" Jurno's then replaced them all with folks from India and Bangladesh. (Serous)

To save even more money, many of the proof readers are out sourced back in India. Hence, this is why so much just doesn't make sense and is shallow. Some times I am not sure which is more news worth the nation or notthenation.

They do this all over the world.

UNEMPLOYMENT must be low in India.

CHEAP CHEAP that is what it is all about MONEY nothing else.

giggle.gif

What about when you get in in Rangsit and ask to go to Bang Na when the guy has to return his taxi to Klong 3 by 3 o clock or get charged for the extra time?

There are legitimate reasons why they can't take you sometimes, I think. When they are polite about it I don't mind. It'd would be pretty bad to arrest these people - anyone?

These retardded axxholes have no legitimate reason but being retarded farmers who should be wet in their rice field instead of quietly spending time in their aircon taxi ! I hate them ! I wish they all go to jail !!!

I have lived here 12 years and haven't really had problems until about two or three months ago. Now it seems that maybe 50% of the taxis i stop don't want to take me or don't want to use the meter.

Same. been here a few years and while it's always been an issue to get taxis around 'spicy' hours or heavy traffic routes, only in the last few months have i noticed them regularly declining short 40 baht fares with no traffic. It's pretty weird.

Plus they probably don't even know the way. Could be in for some hefty fares?

jb1

How about a crackdown on not using meters, and then on tuk-tuks for being... annoying, smoke-belching tuk-tuks? wink.png

In case you are implying Tuk-tuks are polluting bear in mind they are actually all LPG. Despite the smoke being annoying it is actually far more environmentally friendly than diesel or petrol.

How about a crackdown on not using meters, and then on tuk-tuks for being... annoying, smoke-belching tuk-tuks? wink.png

In case you are implying Tuk-tuks are polluting bear in mind they are actually all LPG. Despite the smoke being annoying it is actually far more environmentally friendly than diesel or petrol.

Most tuk-tuks use CNG (natural gas) not LPG, most are 2-stroke, which is NOT environmentally friendly at all!

Nonsense.

Tuk-tuks are powered by two-stroke engines, which have oil injection in addition to LPG, which is burned incompletely in the combustion chamber. That is a MAJOR pollutant.

LPG is used because it's relatively cheap, NOT as a means to reduce pollution ...

Then the taxi's "available" light should not be on.

No doubt there are occasionally good reasons but usually they say something dumb like "rot tit" and when you finally find someone to take you there turns out to be no traffic.

My pet hate is the ones who spend a long time thinking about it without saying anything and just as you are getting into the cab they say "NO".

The sports manager at the British Club was attacked with a machete by a taxi driver who refused to take him somewhere objected to the way he closed the door afterwards. He was about to move back to the UK and took with him a permanently scarred face as a souvenir of his time in Thailand. Lucky he survived and wasn't blinded. Although the attack took place at a taxi queue on Silom Road the police were unable to find any one who witnessed the savage, mindless attack. Make sure you close that door properly after you have been rudely refused by one of these a-holes.

WHY all of a sudden is it such a serious offence to refuse a fare? Who decided to change the law? Where are they going to house all of these new inmates?

A fine for a minor offence and jail for refusing a fare???? Someone find this paper some journalists

Who said anything about jail? Chances are, 'arrested' in this case translates as 'will be stopped, or summoned' ... assuming they bother to follow through on this, the penalty will just be a fine. There is no chance in the law. Taxi drivers are not legally allowed to refuse fares.

Dont make excuses for the lowlife scum Taxi divers of Bangkok. They are simply trying to screw you

No doubt there are occasionally good reasons but usually they say something dumb like "rot tit" and when you finally find someone to take you there turns out to be no traffic.

My pet hate is the ones who spend a long time thinking about it without saying anything and just as you are getting into the cab they say "NO".

The sports manager at the British Club was attacked with a machete by a taxi driver who refused to take him somewhere objected to the way he closed the door afterwards. He was about to move back to the UK and took with him a permanently scarred face as a souvenir of his time in Thailand. Lucky he survived and wasn't blinded. Although the attack took place at a taxi queue on Silom Road the police were unable to find any one who witnessed the savage, mindless attack. Make sure you close that door properly after you have been rudely refused by one of these a-holes.

Make a passengers day . Piss off a taxi driver anyway you can There are many ways

Edited by KKvampire

Just returned from 3 weeks in Thailand and about 4 days in Bangkok....I agree! those taxi drivers are getting very picky...don't want to use the meter and don't want to have to turn around for a fare...I don't even screw around with them anymore. I use to be polite but not anymore. It's the worst I have seen in 20 years. So now I just tell them no fking way (in Thai) for pricy non meter quotes...let them all drive in circles without any fares.

I see a big economy crunch coming soon to Thailand. High prices and bad service is not a good combination.....

• Like 1

They used to have "western" Jurno's then replaced them all with folks from India and Bangladesh. (Serous)

To save even more money, many of the proof readers are out sourced back in India. Hence, this is why so much just doesn't make sense and is shallow. Some times I am not sure which is more news worth the nation or notthenation.

Classic invitation to the grammar police. Confuseus he say "Man who call for proofreader should proofread the call". 555

Thai at heart? Or maybe a "Thai taxi driver at Heart"

I read on Twitter that refusing to turn on the meter is also an arrest-able offence. Good news if it can be enforced.

My GF and I caught a taxi at the airport, I noticed the driver hadn't turned on the meter and my GF didn't catch it either. When we got to the apt, the driver attempted to shake us down for a hundred extra baht, but my GF got in his face, talked him down and reported his name and license. She got replies on the status of the case from the authorities.

"That which is measured is done."

How often do your hear when you've finally got a taxi home when it comes to paying the fare when you hand over a 100 baht note for a 60 baht fare that he's got no change and then next he says tip for me okay , drive on to the 7/11 and i'll get change smart arse !!!

How often do your hear when you've finally got a taxi home when it comes to paying the fare when you hand over a 100 baht note for a 60 baht fare that he's got no change and then next he says tip for me okay , drive on to the 7/11 and i'll get change smart arse !!!

I get the no change thing once a year or so, maybe less. Never had a taxi driver ask for a tip though.

Or what if I want a ride to Udon? LOL. Yes, I agree, but these issues should not be left up to interpretation by the driver.

I welcome this, however I do think the should raise the rate that taxis get in a traffic jam. Otherwise, if you ask to go from Siam to Chinatown, they're going to lose money, and that's not right either.