Where To Buy A Scanner To Listen To Ships, Planes Etc?

dutchy124

Jsat, do you know of any websites that do the same thing? Perhaps a pm would be in order there. I bought a TV system off you a long time ago. Nice to see you are still in the game.

Wimpy. I already listen to those sometimes, but I was hoping to get something closer to home.

Thanks to the both of you for your help.

You wont hear much from the larger ocean going ships anymore as they went to satellite a good many years ago and increasingly they are using satellite based internet due to the costs saving as every Tom, Dick and Harry who makes coffee in the office empire wants a say in the way the ship is run. I cannot remember the last time I was on a ship that used morse/Teletype/RT, there wont be any land stations left to handle Morse and I doubt many that will handle Teletype. If you are on the coast near Sri Racha/MapTha Put you may hear some of the tankers on VHF but if they are on a regular run they are more likely to use a mobile.

• 2 weeks later...

Jsat, do you know of any websites that do the same thing?

Sorry do hot know any of the same sort based in Thailand for commercial radio traffic, but there are plenty of ham based sites which include Thailand. If you are looking for a scanner these links may (or may not) help albeit in Thai (google translate is your friend)

100 Watt Magazine (in most bookshops nation wide) http://www.100watts.com/

These are great guys to deal with and can point you in most directions - http://www.tenmetershop.com/ also based in Baan Moore / Old Siam.

Edited by jsat

I cannot remember the last time I was on a ship that used morse/Teletype/RT, there wont be any land stations left to handle Morse and I doubt many that will handle Teletype.

Commercial marine HF finished in 1999. It's all satellite now.

I cannot remember the last time I was on a ship that used morse/Teletype/RT, there wont be any land stations left to handle Morse and I doubt many that will handle Teletype.

Commercial marine HF finished in 1999. It's all satellite now.

The move to satellite started late early 80's with Sat A and ships radio rooms were replaced with GMDSS radio equipment in the early 90's. Commercial traffic may have finished in '99, however, various countries /organisations still required ship reporting on HF teletype for some time after that. I wouldn't like to say ''all'' traffic had finished as there will bound to be one oddball somewhere to prove me wrong.

Slightly off topic but you may also be interested in marinetraffic dot com which tracks vessels in realtime. Also flightradar24 dot com which tracks airplanes in real time.

Thanks for those links