Meditation As Mental Exercise

huli

The more I think about it, it strikes me that mediation might well be described as exercise for the mind, comparable to physical exercise for the body.

Meditation is hard to describe to the masses, who often think it is thinking deeply about something or praying, or staring at something. It has a great benefit to people no matter what religion they might be, and people have so many mind problems.

I am not any kind of expert here, but if people could be told to try to 1) stop thought by focusing on their breathing, and then, eventually, become an inner witness to their thoughts and feelings without dwelling on them, it would be easy for them to understand meditation as a mental exercise.

Exercise is healthy, and a well-known term. It is done periodically to keep the body at peak function and health.

I am not sure if this idea will find any interest out there, but I am interested if this seems reasonable or if I have missed something.

The teaching of Concentration and Mindfulness (Awareness) has been adopted by many health and medical professionals.

Concentration of the breath and body is a standard practice now used by psychologists in assisting their patience to change and to let go.

Concentration and Mindfulness focused on the breath and body can bring about a reduction of stress, one of the major causes of illness in our modern world.

This practice can also overcome psychoses brought about by trauma or through negative thought/conditioning.

As you say, these practices need not involve dharma to bring about therapeutic benefit to practioners.

If you think about it, regular practice of concentration and mindfulness, allows us to be aware of our condition (body, breath, mind, feelings, interaction with the world).

Awareness of our current condition is essential for improvement and growth to occur.

Not only will there be improvement in our physical condition through awareness of breath and body, but the calmness, poise, and equanimity, which develops over time, will allow us overcome automatic reaction to our environment and allow us to enjoy living in the moment.

I can't help but feel this is what the Buddha was trying to teach.

Through awareness, live life as it actually is, and not react to it through beliefs, and conditioning.

Over time one will experience awareness developing to finer and more refined levels yielding jhanic states a far more.

Overcoming conditioning (bad habits, negative beliefs, sloth and torpor), are the biggest impediments which face those who could benefit from practice, and is probably why most will never be awakened.

When you read stories of nuns and Monks who have made arahantship, common themes include dedication to regular practice and non attachment to sense pleasures.

Two big road blocks for most of us.

A friend of mine would prefer 2 - 3 vodkas over an hour of concentration.

He doesn't realize the benefit is accumulative and potentially aboe to approach infinity (awakening).

People are lazy and prefer the easiest way out and will rationalize their behavior to align with their beliefs.

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Like 2

Interesting thoughts, thank you Huli.

I have used similar words about meditation but only when trying to explain to my friends and family why I was about to embark on a week-long meditation retreat. "Why, what's wrong with you?" they would ask. After telling then that there was nothing 'wrong' (almost the opposite lol), I tried to explain by using the analogy that if I wanted my body to get fitter and stronger, I would go to the gymn, and if I wanted my mind and spirit to get healthier, I would meditate. - seemed to work.

The only problem I have with my own analogy, however, and why I would not describe meditation as mental exercise, is that after a session in the gymn my body initially feels tired and sometimes painful and only later do I feel the benefits.

After meditation, however, I immediately feel calm and refreshed, which lends me to think that I haven't exercised my mind at all, quite the opposite in fact.

I can see another aspects to this though; in all my meditation there is almost always some effort applied to stop the conscious mind from wandering, and that can sometimes feel as though it is tiring.

In conclusion, my thoughts are that meditation for me is a calming (switching off) of the conscious mind to allow it to rest. So 'mental exercise' does not fit for me but 'doing a mental exercise' perhaps does.

The only problem I have with my own analogy, however, and why I would not describe meditation as mental exercise, is that after a session in the gymn my body initially feels tired and sometimes painful and only later do I feel the benefits.

After meditation, however, I immediately feel calm and refreshed, which lends me to think that I haven't exercised my mind at all, quite the opposite in fact.

I can see another aspects to this though; in all my meditation there is almost always some effort applied to stop the conscious mind from wandering, and that can sometimes feel as though it is tiring.

In conclusion, my thoughts are that meditation for me is a calming (switching off) of the conscious mind to allow it to rest. So 'mental exercise' does not fit for me but 'doing a mental exercise' perhaps does.

I have similar experience B T.

Sitting with focus on the long breath and the body can bring about a very calm peaceful state.

On a recent retreat however, for the first five days my mind just wouldn't let go.

During some of the periods I couildn't even manage two breaths before the mind took over again.

More than tiring, towards the end it felt like torture and served to increase my stress.

I overcame it by giving up trying to meditate.

I resolved not to attempt to meditate, but instead focused on my posture, and long breath without any expectation.

This did the trick and deep calm and joy flooded my being.

Also for those who abuse their bodies due to poor lifestyle over long periods, attempts at awareness can yield a poor experience.

A work colleague of mine is one such case.

He abstains from any form of exercise including walks, he's a heavy smoker, over indulges on a poor diet, and is about 40kg over weight.

When I first met him I thought he had a respiratory infection, but due to weight and smoking habit, he continuously sounds like Darth Vader when he breathes.

This morning at 7.30am he was tucking into a large chocolate cream eclair with his coffee and smoke.

He confided in me that meditation is useless and when he's tried it he feels really bad.

I tried to explain that Sitting is a form of awareness of the body and breath.

If his body is in extremely poor condition, sitting will only serve to make him aware of his condition.

For a wise person, awareness should help to reveal ones condition and allow steps to be taken to remedy the situation.

Problem is most are conditioned to take the easy path (greed, aversion, delusion).

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Like 1

Interesting thoughts, thank you Huli.

I have used similar words about meditation but only when trying to explain to my friends and family why I was about to embark on a week-long meditation retreat. "Why, what's wrong with you?" they would ask. After telling then that there was nothing 'wrong' (almost the opposite lol), I tried to explain by using the analogy that if I wanted my body to get fitter and stronger, I would go to the gymn, and if I wanted my mind and spirit to get healthier, I would meditate. - seemed to work.

BT,

I find your comments very interesting and on-topic.

Your description of meditation as an activity which makes your mind and/or spirit healthier perfectly describes what I was trying to say in comparing it to exercise.

I do note that you characterize physical exercise as being an effort, a chore, strength-sapping, and sometimes painful. It can be, but not necessarily by definition. Consider that for some people exercise is fun, a favorite activity, and induces endorphin-mediated pleasure.

Likewise meditation can go either way. Sometimes there is physical discomfort or unwanted mental activity, as Rocky describes, that is not calm and refreshing.

In both physical exercise and meditation, effort is often required. However, once the benefits are experienced first-hand, they can each become very positive. So, I see a similarity there.

The main reason it seems inappropriate to call meditation mental exercise is that exercise is usually defined as physical movement. However, if exercise can be defined as a health-inducing activity, as you do when you describe it to your friends and family, one needs only to appreciate the nature of mind to grasp the idea.

Lastly, in my view, it is better to call meditation mental exercise rather than doing a mental exercise. In the latter case, there is an implied self doing meditation that is best left out of the picture. Not to be too nit-picky.

I thank you for your stimulating comments to my post. I hope I didn't over-do the bolds.

Huli

I do note that you characterize physical exercise as being an effort, a chore, strength-sapping, and sometimes painful.

With respect, you have misquoted me; I said "....tired and sometimes painful". They are physical manifestations.

Your misquote suggests that I don't enjoy exercise; I do.

• Like 1

I do note that you characterize physical exercise as being an effort, a chore, strength-sapping, and sometimes painful.

With respect, you have misquoted me; I said "....tired and sometimes painful". They are physical manifestations.

Your misquote suggests that I don't enjoy exercise; I do.

Well, I did not quote you previously, so I could not have misquoted you.

You did say that "after a session in the gymn (sic), my body feels tired and sometimes painful". This suggests that at least sometimes physical exercise is not 100% enjoyable for you, does it not? You went on to say that, for you, meditation almost always takes some effort, and is sometimes tiring.

I believe you have made the point yourself, that physical exercise or meditation can be either enjoyable or not. In this respect they are similar, and in many other ways as well.

Very smart, well done you.

"You did say that "after a session in the gymn (sic), my body feels tired and sometimes painful". This suggests that at least sometimes physical exercise is not 100% enjoyable for you, does it not?"

No, it doesn't.

Edited by BoonToong

"You did say that "after a session in the gymn (sic), my body feels tired and sometimes painful". This suggests that at least sometimes physical exercise is not 100% enjoyable for you, does it not?"

No, it doesn't.

It really never occurred to me that you enjoy feeling tired and painful. I think this is what you just said. I hope I got it right this time.

Being as our discussion has moved away from comparing meditation and physical exercise, I hope you will accept my apology

for misunderstanding you, and agree with me, let's not proceed to tease the meaning of the word "enjoy" for the others, which is where this would be headed.

respectfully

Huli

• 11 months later...

No, it doesn't.

It really never occurred to me that you enjoy feeling tired and painful. I think this is what you just said. I hope I got it right this time.

Being as our discussion has moved away from comparing meditation and physical exercise, I hope you will accept my apology

for misunderstanding you, and agree with me, let's not proceed to tease the meaning of the word "enjoy" for the others, which is where this would be headed.

respectfully

Huli

When you meditate and physical sensations arise, you should observe them with a balanced mind, regardless of how unpleasant (or pleasant).

• 4 weeks later...