Bees, Hornets, And Wasps

T_Dog

I grew up on a farm and remember getting stung by something every summer. Now living in the country in Thailand it is the same thing. Trimmed a few branches from a tree today and two Dahn Lek (Iron Wasps) got me with their rather painful sting and two weeks ago it was something else. Two years ago my wife spent two nights in the hospital after a Tiger Hornet sting which was better than the friend of a mountain biking buddy that died from one. I take Benedryl as soon as anything stings me but I just keep wondering, what next!

where do you get Benadryl here, I wish I had some around.

As for wasps and their ilk, I hate the feckers, been stung a lot over the years, but it has been at least two years since the last time which was by iron wasps too.

Yeah, the Iron Wasps sting is a painful one. Got hit on the finger once and never ever felt such pain.

Regarding Benadryl, you can find the liquid form anywhere but the tablets are probably only available at the Chiang Mai University pharmacy. I brought a bottle back from the USA.

The pesticide... Cypermethrin.

Will knock them down in an instant.

Graveyard dead.

Been there, done that.

The local termite people commonly use it.

They can/will do it for you...

using a pressure washer,

from a 'safer' distance.

Cheap.

Anyone got pictures of this Iron Wasp ?

I've got a huge nest on the end of my roof (about 50 cm diameter).

Not sure what they are but my worker sais leave it alone, Im not arguing.

The iron wasps make small nests just about everywhere, including my rain coat last month. Not dangerous, just very painful. With a nest the size you are referring to, it might be Tiger Hornets which are the dangerous ones.

Had a couple of these nests in the garden. Tiger hornets? Nests about the size of a football. Some locals came after dark to torch them & eat the larvae.

post-99758-0-10388300-1346643551_thumb.j

Even after reading this thread today, still got stung by some small bee or wasp while clearing long grass from around trees. I guess there's a reason the locals dress to cover every inch of skin when working the land. Have to knit a balaclava wink.png

Every time I trim the hedges, have to rake it first to find the stingers.

T_Dog; you mention your wife spent 2 days in hospital after a sting. It sounds like she is could be a candidate for anaphylactic shock. If you haven't already done so you should make sure you have an EpiPen in the house and know how to use it.

T_Dog; you mention your wife spent 2 days in hospital after a sting. It sounds like she is could be a candidate for anaphylactic shock. If you haven't already done so you should make sure you have an EpiPen in the house and know how to use it.

Since she is not allergic to bees, the docs just recommended Benedryl to buy some time, but I'll look into the EpiPen based on your post. It is not uncommon to be hospitalized after an Asian Tiger Hornet sting as they really pack a punch.

I consider myself very fortunate that, to-date, I have never suffered any reactions to being stung by bees, wasps, hornets, scorpions, or bitten by tarantulas. I have slight, insignificant, pain for 5 minutes and no visible marks. Was stung by 3 Tiger Hornets at the same time and didn’t flinch. I often destroy nests (if necessary) simply with any household bug spray and am often shirtless when doing so – have never been stung doing so since as long as I remain as still as a statue while spraying and for a minute afterwards they fail to see me. By the time I move away from them, the survivors are more interested in trying to salvage what they can from the nest, which is usually nothing.

Rgds

Khonwan

Ah, maybe not Tiger hornet.

Had a look with binoculars & they are predominantly dark with a single wide yellow band on the abdomen.

Probably Greater Banded Hornet, not quite as dangerous as Tiger.

This is my nest, taken from ground level with max zoom.

post-22588-0-02153800-1346730433_thumb.j

Found this also.

http://gardeninsiam.wordpress.com/2010/12/19/well-at-least-they-are-not-tiger-hornets/

Vespa tropica is the most common here, and they are dangerous enough and also quite big, I am not sure I have seen the giant hornets, which apparently are called tiger hornets (according to the article). I wonder what the common name for Vespa tropica is.

There have been people killed by Vespa tropica, but I have had to learn to live with them because there is hundreds of them about when the family has jackfruit sitting around outside.

Hello All, we had nest remover from a mango tree in the front

yard, after dark with a torch of some kind. Used a cherry picker

truck.

Here's some pic's, night shot from a phone, no flash. Pic's havee

been lightened up to see better.

rice555

post-37242-0-76063600-1346852165_thumb.j

post-37242-0-60650200-1346852185_thumb.j

post-37242-0-81950700-1346852231_thumb.j

post-37242-0-11346400-1346852249_thumb.j

post-37242-0-97498400-1346852269_thumb.j

post-37242-0-62024000-1346852287_thumb.j