U.s. Woman Forced To Eat Maggots While Locked Up In Thai Prison For 9 Years

webfact

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ms Carnegie doesn't really look malnutritioned to me... (wow, it rhymes!)

This however is how heroin addicts look before and after

article-0-0D566FA6000005DC-641_634x364.jpg

drugs-woman-2_1834000i.jpg

Any questions?

Our "poor" forced to eat maggots drug smuggler should have done the time she was supposed to (which is life) without the possibility of parole to have enough free hours to reflect on the question of "how many lifes the smuggled Heroin would have destroyed permanently". In addition it would have given her ample time to inform herself (by reading some non-mainstream books) about who the real big drug smugglers are who actually use naive people like her as patsies while the real stuff is shipped in by big containers on a daily basis...

The funny thing is that they all believe they wouldn't get caught, just like the drug addicts believe they could easily stop tomorrow if they wanted to, but they simply aren't up to it yet...

I don't feel sorry for her at all and can have no sympathy whatsoever for a heroin smuggler - regardless of being a first timer or pro. I also feel a bit uneasy about the series banged up abroad, etc. since it gives me the eerie feeling that any drug dealer (big or small) can become a national hero or celebrity all of a sudden. If that isn't wrong, what is?

These are METH addicts. not heroin addicts. believe it or not, there's a big difference.

Yeah, sure! Next you will post that Heroin actually is a kind of natural medicine that is good for the metabolism and creates more braincells, like the slow, unreliable and spaced-out "can't start the day without having me a Bong, or two" Ganja Is Good For You Babblers do...

Do I really need to post some photos of Heroin addicts who overdosed (and died) in a stinky pub toilet? Or maybe some H-addicted teens who shoot the shit under the toe nails so mom and dad won't see???

What was the point that you tried to make with your comment anyway??? That it's kinda cool to smuggle Heroin, or "I do H too and I tell you it's supercool! Everyone should do it" ???? Oh - and do you know the people on the photos? Are you a doctor? A psychic perhaps???

It disgusts me that scum like this woman are able to profit out of their stay in prison. Get up on tv spout off a sob story and lie about what happened and get fame and cash in return.

As far as I'm aware, Joy Nash who appears in that video is the actress who played Angela Carnegie, the real life woman who was locked up in the BKK Hilton for 9 years.

Looks like you're correct, my mistake. My comment only applies to the drug dealer, not the actress.

I saw her story on the "Locked up Abroad" television program here in the U.S. She knowing tried to smuggle a large amount of heroin into the United States for $50K. She got caught and had to pay the price (not really because she was sentenced to life and is not living free in the States). It appears that she learned some valuable lessons in the Thai prison. She was not subjected to conditions any different or more severe than the Thai prisoners. The article is kind of misleading when it states that she was "forced" to eat maggots. In actuality, there were often maggots in the rice, but nobody was ever held down and "forced" to eat anything.

Why do they let these scumbags out after only a short time. She didnt care about the problems her actions would inflict on others so she should still be rotting there now!!!

Difficult to empathize. Most people are in prison because they are stupid. Even the smarter crims know how to get off.

Smuggling is just plain wack. Why? Well one reason is they lock you up in horrible conditions and feed you maggots.

What's she moaning about? Lucky to be out after only 9 years. If you can't do the time....don't do the crime.

To all the pontificating holier-than-thou posters: I guess you never made a dumb mistake in your lives, when you were younger, eh?. Life imprisonment (what she got initially) or 9 years is too long a penalty for a dumb-ass mistake, or for being stupid one time (as the poster claims, above). If your kid does something stupid, do you lock him in the bathroom for a month? Didn't think so.

Society has very successfully gotten everyone to think of heroin as absolutely evil incarnate. How much worse is an opiate like heroin, than alcoholic drinks? One causes profoundly more harm and misery and deaths than the other. Can you guess which one? One reason alcohol is accepted, is because most lawmakers (including Chalerm) are hard drinkers. Another reason, is the well heeled alcohol lobby makes sure that only ONE recreational drug is legal, and demonizes all the others.

Their campaign has worked great on the 'hang 'em high' brigade. Have any of you ever tried heroin? I have, and it's a mellowing soothing drug, I've also drunk wine, beer, and the hard stuff, and can tell anyone who wants to listen, that alcohol is much more debilitating than heroin. I've even driven 1,000 miles at night on heroin, and it was a breeze the whole way. Try driving 1,000 miles at night drunk. Totally different, and you'll probably kill a few people along the way.

Why do they let these scumbags out after only a short time. She didnt care about the problems her actions would inflict on others so she should still be rotting there now!!!

Difficult to empathize. Most people are in prison because they are stupid. Even the smarter crims know how to get off.

Smuggling is just plain wack. Why? Well one reason is they lock you up in horrible conditions and feed you maggots.

What's she moaning about? Lucky to be out after only 9 years. If you can't do the time....don't do the crime.

To all the pontificating holier-than-thou posters: I guess you never made a dumb mistake in your lives, when you were younger, eh?. Life imprisonment (what she got initially) or 9 years is too long a penalty for a dumb-ass mistake, or for being stupid one time (as the poster claims, above). If your kid does something stupid, do you lock him in the bathroom for a month? Didn't think so.

Society has very successfully gotten everyone to think of heroin as absolutely evil incarnate. How much worse is an opiate like heroin, than alcoholic drinks? One causes profoundly more harm and misery and deaths than the other. Can you guess which one? One reason alcohol is accepted, is because most lawmakers (including Chalerm) are hard drinkers. Another reason, is the well heeled alcohol lobby makes sure that only ONE recreational drug is legal, and demonizes all the others.

Their campaign has worked great on the 'hang 'em high' brigade. Have any of you ever tried heroin? I have, and it's a mellowing soothing drug, I've also drunk wine, beer, and the hard stuff, and can tell anyone who wants to listen, that alcohol is much more debilitating than heroin. I've even driven 1,000 miles at night on heroin, and it was a breeze the whole way. Try driving 1,000 miles at night drunk. Totally different, and you'll probably kill a few people along the way.

None of what you have said alters the fact that the penalty for being caught smuggling heroin within Thailand's borders is death, life or a ridiculously long prison sentence equating to life and/or death.

She's lucky that to curry favour with the US, Thailand has a lovely prisoner exchange system. If she was a citizen of an African country, there would be no exchange. There really shouldn't be one.

Lastly, a dumb mistake? Knowingly becoming a drugs mule for $50,000? In Asia? That's not a dumb mistake, that's Darwinism in action. How you manage to equate this to the misbehaviour of a child and their admonishing and/or punishment, I have no idea. Quite bizarre. That's the thing with children, they tend to be oblivious to the concepts of right and wrong for most of their childhood. This was a fully cognicent adult woman undertaking a heroin trafficking mission with the aim of financial reward. They couldn't be any more different.

I'll freely admit that alcohol kills more people and is a much more "dangerous" and expensive "drug". More people have access to it as it's not under the same global restriction as heroin is. If heroin were as freely available as alcohol is, could it not be said that vastly more people will succumb death through the diseases and overdosing that happens a lot in the current heroin using communities worldwide?

The fact is it's legal here and heroin isn't. Heroin gets you in massive trouble, as a user, transporter or seller nearly everywhere in the world. Nothing you're saying makes this any different.

I'll also add that proportionately, on a global scale, people manage to use alcohol (remember proportionately) much more responsibly than heroin.

That's the thing with heroin, it's a bit moreish and is often used as a good example of a very very fasting acting physically addictive drug.

Basically, we should ban everything. We're too irresponsible! No we're just all children making silly mistakes! Aren't we?

She was guilty of committing a crime that carries those heavy offences in this country. You can't get away from this fact however you try.

If you don't want to be treated in an extremely harsh way, go commit your crimes in Norway or Holland!

Thailand does not preach to the US about its perceived lax or heavy-handed sentencing. I never hear Thais ever mention such things.

Why do you insist that it's draconic here? It's Thailand's laws, it applies to everyone. Not just this lady.

Enough with the apologists already!

I'd love to be able to say that we should all be allowed to choose what drugs we take, how we treat our bodies (even if it's dangerous and likely to kill us). I should have the right to choose. I completely agree with this tenet.

The sad truth here is that heroin is used to bring vulnerable people into a miserable subservient existence that makes them a mere husk of a human being. It exposes you, dramatically more than normally living life would, to AIDS, Hep C and all the other known diseases. The same can't be said of alcohol. Also, a pregnant mother who becomes addicted to heroin, can not only pass on the AIDS she contracted through a needle to an unborn child, but the addiction itself too. But as you said, it's just a harmless opiate equivalent to some weed or a beer, isn't it?

It's almost impossible to take heroin recreationally, although exceptions do exist, like yourself it would seem. For children, the weak, the vulnerable, there's no such arrangement.

Edited by ManInSurat

Ms Carnegie doesn't really look malnutritioned to me... (wow, it rhymes!)

This however is how heroin addicts look before and after

Any questions?

Our "poor" forced to eat maggots drug smuggler should have done the time she was supposed to (which is life) without the possibility of parole to have enough free hours to reflect on the question of "how many lifes the smuggled Heroin would have destroyed permanently". In addition it would have given her ample time to inform herself (by reading some non-mainstream books) about who the real big drug smugglers are who actually use naive people like her as patsies while the real stuff is shipped in by big containers on a daily basis...

The funny thing is that they all believe they wouldn't get caught, just like the drug addicts believe they could easily stop tomorrow if they wanted to, but they simply aren't up to it yet...

I don't feel sorry for her at all and can have no sympathy whatsoever for a heroin smuggler - regardless of being a first timer or pro. I also feel a bit uneasy about the series banged up abroad, etc. since it gives me the eerie feeling that any drug dealer (big or small) can become a national hero or celebrity all of a sudden. If that isn't wrong, what is?

These are METH addicts. not heroin addicts. believe it or not, there's a big difference.

ah hah, busted. I agree, those photos look like speed freaks, not heroin addicts.

Perhaps you'll now, in the name of fairness, post some before and after photos of drunks?

Here's one....drunk.jpg

None of what you have said alters the fact that the penalty for being caught smuggling heroin within Thailand's borders is death, life or a ridiculously long prison sentence equating to life and/or death.

I'm not taking issue with the fact that it's illegal to transport heroin in Thailand (btw, did you know that Thailand copies US drug laws note for note?). The debate here isn't whether such 'n such a law exists. The debate, as I see it, is if the penalty matches the crime. I see the penalty for that stupid/greedy woman as overly severe, and therefore cruel. Similarly, there are dozens of young Thai women in HK jails (and other Asian countries) for similar crimes of making a one-time very stupid decision.

If you want to stand in allegiance alongside Thai laws, please answer the following 3 questions, thanks in advance:

>>>>> Why are there no Thai laws compelling deadbeat dads to show any responsibility for date rapes resulting in pregnancy?

>>>> Why are there no Thai laws against harboring a criminal (A Thai attorney told me that).

>>>>> Why is hemp a class-5 drug which can land you in jail? (same as the US, of course).

Some dumb mistakes yes, but not that dumb.

How stupid? Like for reasons of buying heroine from a dealer and distroying his life for example?

Sorry, there is no argument. Get caught dealing or doing drugs and you`re owned. Like it or lump it, that`s the way it is.

We don`t want their drugs here.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I'm not taking issue with the fact that it's illegal to transport heroin in Thailand (btw, did you know that Thailand copies US drug laws note for note?). The debate here isn't whether such 'n such a law exists. The debate, as I see it, is if the penalty matches the crime. I see the penalty for that stupid/greedy woman as overly severe, and therefore cruel. Similarly, there are dozens of young Thai women in HK jails (and other Asian countries) for similar crimes of making a one-time very stupid decision.

If you want to stand in allegiance alongside Thai laws, please answer the following 3 questions, thanks in advance:

>>>>> Why are there no Thai laws compelling deadbeat dads to show any responsibility for date rapes resulting in pregnancy?

>>>> Why are there no Thai laws against harboring a criminal (A Thai attorney told me that).

>>>>> Why is hemp a class-5 drug which can land you in jail? (same as the US, of course).

I never said I stood in allegiance with Thai laws. I accept that those are the repercussions in Thai law as a legal alien. If I were to commit a crime, I would expect to be treated as a Thai would, in that instance. Whether I think it's draconian or not is irrelevant. That's the law. You can't change it by whining about it and you accept that when you come to live, holiday or drug smuggle here.

1. Does the US really have the death penalty for narcotics smuggling? Thailand does. Note for note? I don't agree with that. Not to mention the spate of extra-judicial killings to rein in the rampant drugs trade in 2003. 2,000 - 3,000 people, lots of them innocent murdered without trial or even a chance to explain themselves. This would not happen in the USA. Ok it's out of the justice system, put you must get my point here.

2. From the Thai penal code. "Section 192 Whoever, harboring, hiding or assisting with any means the person escaped from the lawful custody under the power of the Court, inquiry official or official empowered to investigate the criminal cases so as to such person may not be arrested, shall be imprisoned not out of three years or fined not out of six thousand Baht, or both." Maybe you shouldn't trust everything lawyers tell you.

3. Errant fathers, be it through rape or consenting sex are a scourge of most economically developed countries.

4. There's more countries in the world that define marijuana/hemp/cannabis as a class A drug, even handing down the death penalty in extreme cases, than to the contrary.

Mostly I take umbridge with the "It's a child's mistake." It isn't. Not even slightly similar in any way.

She came to Thailand, she broke that law, she should be punished and the punishment should be seen through to the end.

I don't see why this indivdual, by virtue of being an American citizen, should be treated any differently than a Thai would.

Edited by ManInSurat

What was the point of this women's story?

Went thru a difficult part of her life and is over it? Maybe exposure for a book deal? Maybe an ambassadore for Jenny Craig?

I read a book by Warren Fellows, Tha Damage Done; about his time in Bangkwang. It was a grusome account of an experience that many people do not go thru in their lives. His mate died from a drug overdose after serving time for the same crime in Thailand. I also at the time of reading thought it a text that people should as an education tool on the risks associated with being a drug courier/drug addict. I think the opening account was Fellows being woken by screams of a fellow prisoner having cockroach lava harvesting in his ear canal, it didn't get any better from that point on.

I compare the two accounts, and this woman experienced no less or no worse than most in the Thai prison system at that time.

The point that needs to be made by such a rabbit, is that the crime never equals the punishment in a Bangkok Jail.

Strangely, no.

How stupid? Like for reasons of buying heroine from a dealer and distroying his life, for example?

Sorry, there is no argument. Get caught dealing or doing drugs and you`re owned. Like it or lump it, that`s the way it is. We don`t want their drugs here.

Now try replacing the word heroin or 'drugs' with alcohol, and see how your sentences read. The main difference between heroin and alcohol, is one causes far more harm and deaths than the other. Can you guess which one?

If you don't believe that, then you've been very successfully brainwashed by the alcohol industry's concerted trillion dollar campaign to make their drugs products socially acceptable.

Strangely, no.

How stupid? Like for reasons of buying heroine from a dealer and distroying his life, for example?

Sorry, there is no argument. Get caught dealing or doing drugs and you`re owned. Like it or lump it, that`s the way it is. We don`t want their drugs here.

Now try replacing the word heroin or 'drugs' with alcohol, and see how your sentences read. The main difference between heroin and alcohol, is one causes far more harm and deaths than the other. Can you guess which one?

If you don't believe that, then you've been very successfully brainwashed by the alcohol industry's concerted trillion dollar campaign to make their drugs products socially acceptable.

If heroin was distributed as widely, was on sale as cheaply and was as easy to purchase as alcohol is now, we'd all live in "dreamy hippy land" would we? Rubbish.

Proportionately more people use alcohol responsibly than they do heroin. A miniscule amount of heroin users use it recreationally, by and large it's all consuming, almost right from the start.

It's all about proportion here. Use some perspective.

The restriction and destruction of heroin worldwide is a godsend not a curse.

Edited by ManInSurat

A young adult accidentally killing someone in a drunken fight is being, young and stupid - and you deserve to get a second chance. You shouldnt be put away for ten years, wasting away and not being able to be a productive citizen. But carrying a kilo of heroine thru airport security isnt an accident, or being young and stupid. Only greedy and stupid, it isnt a mistake, it isnt an accident.

I believe the penalty for carrying a large quantity of hard drugs thru border securities should carry 3x more punishment than some young guy getting 20 years in jail cause he had an drunken argument, pushed some guy who fell and cracked his head on some rock - that is called a mistake, not smuggling large amounts of heroine.

Edited by BKKBobby
  • Like 1

She's been out for 10 years now, still milking that baby. Probably still trying for a book and/or movie deal,.

Yes, foreign prisons are tuff, especially in Southeast Asia. If you don't have the money to bribe the guards for fresh food or clean water, you're in deep caca.

It doesn't appear she really learned anything from this ordeal,

• Like 1

I believe the penalty for carrying a large quantity of hard drugs thru border securities should carry 3x more punishment than some young guy getting 20 years in jail cause he had an drunken argument, pushed some guy who fell and cracked his head on some rock - that is called a mistake, not smuggling large amounts of heroine.

I believe those who can't control their aggression after drinking should be sent to the gas chambers so the rest of us can have a pint in peace. w00t.gif

Strangely, no.

How about replacing the words, heroine and drugs with, stupidity, mindless, murderous and criminal?

As for your analysis between the differences between the harmful affects of heroine and alcohol are concerned, are you a medical expert? Have you worked in the fields of narcotics and addictive substances? Or are you a dealer or drug taker yourself? My guess is that you have formed your opinions from an article you read on a website somewhere, an armchair expert who has no credibility on the subject.

Luckily the people that share your opinions regarding hard drugs are well in the minority.

All of you throwing fat insults and all that take a look in the MIRROR and realize why you are putting this person down its because you are HORRIFIC and are a fat ugly git and the only way to excuse your situation is to take pot shots at someone else.

Losers rolleyes.gif

All of you throwing fat insults and all that take a look in the MIRROR and realize why you are putting this person down its because you are HORRIFIC and are a fat ugly git and the only way to excuse your situation is to take pot shots at someone else.

Losers rolleyes.gif

Have I missed something? Have we started a TV kindergarten sub forum here or what?

• Like 1

Losers rolleyes.gif

I don`t think they are insulting fat people. What they are trying to say is; that for a person who claimed she lived on only maggot infested scraps of food for 9 years, certainly didn’t have the appearance of a woman who was emaciated or suffering from starvation, quite the opposite in fact.

As for me, I admit to being HORRIFIC and an ugly git. Cant help it, this is something I inherited from an Irish ancestor and the drink, women and rock and roll have taken it`s toll. But I do resent being called fat and a loser. So watch it.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1