Gay Marriage Legislation In New Zealand And Australia.

isanbirder

I have it from our local forum that the New Zealand Lower House has passed the first reading of a Gay Marriage Bill. The Australian state of Tasmania also passed a Gay Marriage Bill in the Lower House last week. I have no information about whether it is denominated marriage or civil partnership!

Sorry, no links. Maybe an Australian or NZ member can add these.

In NZ its a "marriage" - passed by 80 - 40 in the Lower House and supported by both government and opposition leaders although its a conscience vote.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-30/an-nz-parliament-gives-strong-support-to-same-sex-marriage/4232162

Also "marriage" in Tasmania where it was passed by the Lower House, 13 votes (Labor and Greens) to 11 (Liberal), yesterday, but its still to pass the Upper House next month.

Its really more a case of pushing and embarrassing the federal government into doing something as Susan Gillard (Labor, PM, personally against gay marriage although her party is for it) is just dragging her heels because of her personal opposition, as any change in Tasmania doesn't actually give any concrete benefits and contravenes the Federal Law (amended in 2004). Its impossible to predict if the Tasmania Upper House are likely to pass the Bill as 13 of the 15 members of the Upper House are Independents, plus one Labor member (for) and one Liberal (against). Although Tony Abbott (Liberal, opposition leader) has promised to allow backbenchers a "conscience" vote, every indication (including that in Tasmania!) is that they'll all vote along party lines (against).

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/national/14713075/gay-marriage-a-step-closer-in-tasmania/

I should add (well, I think I should!) that although it may be a sign of progress it may not actually be a good sign. The problem is that it looks as if while Labor (the governing party, in coalition with the Greens) are open to it being a conscience vote the Liberals (Opposition) may not be. One of the 11 votes against the bill, in Tasmania, was actually a Labor vote (my mistake) while the Liberal leader in Tasmania said his party was "united" against the bill, although he was the only one who spoke against it.

The problem is that as Labor will have a conscience vote then some Labor MPs will vote against the bill, including Julia Gillard (my second mistake - Susan Gillard was a neighbour!) and if the Liberal MPs all vote against the bill, along party lines, that will probably be enough to defeat the bill.