Obsessed With Cost And Soooooo Nosey ?

CharlieH

as i dont speak thai either i am blissfully unaware of the many conversations that go on around me about me, except when 'falang' is uttered

I'm always trying to convince myself that you're a very pleasant person who enjoys sarcasm a lot.

post-155923-0-58291000-1346315825.jpg

Edited by Morakot

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Social norms I guess, things that westerners define and private and off limits are fair game in Thailand. Thai's will happily talk about having bad stomachs and getting the trots and how often they need to go to the loo, which you just wouldn't do in the west.

But i think you might be overstating it a touch. How well do you speak Thai?

One which I can't get my head around is foreigners getting paranoid about hearing the word 'farang' spoken around them constantly. As a Thai speaker with a foreign wife and a blond haired blue eyed daughter, I rarely even hear the word spoken. I often wonder if people are mis-interpreting other words.

That's because you live in an area where the use Bak-See-daa (Lao/Issan), Ba-Gairw (Lao/Lanna) or Ba-Guey-Gar (Lanna) for the 'white foreigner' insult.

Social norms I guess, things that westerners define and private and off limits are fair game in Thailand. Thai's will happily talk about having bad stomachs and getting the trots and how often they need to go to the loo, which you just wouldn't do in the west.

One which I can't get my head around is foreigners getting paranoid about hearing the word 'farang' spoken around them constantly. As a Thai speaker with a foreign wife and a blond haired blue eyed daughter, I rarely even hear the word spoken. I often wonder if people are mis-interpreting other words.

That's because you live in an area where the use Bak-See-daa (Lao/Issan), Ba-Gairw (Lao/Lanna) or Ba-Guey-Gar (Lanna) for the 'white foreigner' insult.

yeah, um, no.

I've just gotten used to it. Every time I come home, if there's anyone around, regardless of who they are, it's "where did you go?", "what did you do?". If I have any bags, they of course need to peek inside to see what I bought, etc.

They are not being nosey as such.

I live in the sticks and whenever we get something that the relatives or Thai friends have not seen before, they are just curious as to what it costs.......knowing full well that they could not afford it, they don't intend to be rude.

The same scenario for me when I used to live in Oz, whenever I found myself in the presence of somebody extremely wealthy, and they started talking about the "toys" they'd acquired or whatever.......I was always the first to ask how much they paid for it, and it would be in the millions etc., but I always knew that I couldn't afford it, yet because the manner in which I asked the question, I was always told.........meaning the person in question was not offended by my curiosity.

The same applies to the Thais (well in my experience) and they are not being nosey or summing me up, just human nature.

I am not shy to ask somebody how much they paid for something..........up to them if they tell me or not.

• Like 2

Buy a new car and they are all asking how much. Just the way it is, i have seen this in the Netherlands too so its not only Thailand.

Thai people like to say what's on their mind is all. I like it.

You are free to not answer.

??? come again...

Generally I find random Thai people don't ask the ja bai nai or sur nee thao lai ,its normaly friends or people you know.

Must admit my western friends also ask the same questions so whats all the fuss about?

With a reasonable knowledge of Thai language it is also quite fun to engage the locals in conversation and ask the same impertinent questions back to them !

I wouldn't take any offence regarding the inquisitive nature of the Thai's.

Interesting remarks about the language. Why would you want to live somewhere and rely on your wife/partner to know what's going on. Surely its for a better life if you can speak a little Thai. wink.png

I agree a bit, but it's not a sure thing as you've stated. Some of us, once we've learned Thai, are subsequently aware of the true nature of average very poorly educated person and what goes on in their heads and what comes out of their mouths, and it is a brutal reality check. It was MUCH nicer when I we were ignorant and thought, perhaps, that much of what people were talking about was likely on par with what we consider normal and interesting. It's a dull, dull, bigoted, uneducated, selfish, small-minded world out there, my friend. Trust me.

Lot's of talkin' but nothin' being said for the most part.

Edited by PaullyW
  • Like 2

Questions m usually asked:

- Pai nai (where r u going)

- Pai nai ma (where r u coming from)

- Khun dai duan ning tao rai lor (how much are you paid)

- Phi sur longthao ma tao rai lor (how much did u by these shoes fr)

and a lot more.

Most of the times its a stranger or a person who has seen u walk-by his/her shop once or twice. I prefer not answering bc dey always start a long freakn conversation out of it + ITS IRRITATING WHEN ONE IS ASKED ALL THIS TOO FREQUENTLY

someone always asks me something like 'cow yaw' which I think means 'did you eat rice' and I say 'no, I had pad thai'

Interesting - in Nepal they ask the same thing as a greeting - 'khana khayo?' which means 'did you eat rice?' - they also ask a lot of questions which would be considered nosy by Western terms. As a married woman I always get 'how many children do you have?' and since we have none(by choice) it can get a bit awkward since this is unheard of in Nepali society. If they just let it go after I answer 'none' that would be fine but they proceed to answer 'why?' which is none of their business. If it is a shop lady who I will most likely never see again I have been known to lie rather than face the interrogation. And they also ask the prices of things. I think the poster who remarked on the 'database of going prices' had a valid point - in Nepal I sometimes ask the same question(not of a total stranger though) so I will have a price in mind when bargaining.

My Taiwanese landlady always used to ask what I paid for things when I was living in Italy years ago and would always insist I was paying too much, scrutinize the quality of shoes I bought, etc.

So it's not just Thailand.

Its just they way things are here...

Lets say the wife bought a new handbag, part of talking about it, even the first sentence is the price. I also find this a bit crass. Dont get me wrong, Im all about costs and value but it is crass.

Handbag blah blah b750 blah blah. Like that no?

Interesting thread & one that most who have been here awhile probably have experienced.

My take on it, I like it here that is why we moved here.

Some still call it LOS & I agree

I think of the people who smile the most & I think of kids.

Kids are open, friendly, inquisitive

To that end I think it is normal when Thais ask,

Where are you going? What did you buy? How much was that?

Did you eat yet? What did you eat?

After all, like kids they are open,happy, inquisitive in a good way & I rather like that.

It beats them acting like some grumpy grown-up with too many worries on their mind.

I have Thai family member often ask me on the bigger purchases,

how much? I always like to say Sao Baht to which they crack up laughing.

One thing I do notice many Thai's say when asked themselves about a price

is Mai Pang. smile.png

Edited by mania

Who really cares what mindless drivel Thais talk about . Most of the time they are just making conversation because they are chatty people , there is on hidden agenda . It probably means that later on in the day they can tell their husband / wife / brother/ sister / uncle / aunt etc etc ad infinitum that earlier in the day they were talking to a ferrang in the Post Office and he had a ( shock horror ) a big parcel ! Let them talk about this rubbish all day long . One of the reasons I am glad that I no longer live in Thailand is that I don't have to partake in this stuff any more .

• Like 2

OP, it's all normal, forget it smile.png .

I was with the mrs at the coach station, she was going to BKK to see her daughter, lady came up to the mrs and chatted, l said, what did she want ?

She wanted to know how much you gave me per month. w00t.gif ..............................laugh.png

What's wrong with that ? I know some people in the West living in the same condominium for 20 years, and never exchange a word, not even " hello " or " good morning ". Sad people.

Give me a chatty neighbour anytime, if some day i'm not in the mood, i just tell them.

Oh, i know, some people don't like to talk about money ; to embarass some guy it's just enough to ask him how much did he pay for his plane ticket.. Funny is that when the same people need some information they will beat around the bush for 1 hour, for fear to ask a direct question..blink.png