Obsessed With Cost And Soooooo Nosey ?

CharlieH

I am not sure what you mean, but i thought it is perfectly normal to ask the price before you buying something.

What I have notice then is whereever i go, people ask me: kin kau jang - have you eaten already

Not when buying something, when you have bought something already, something new something different .

How much was your car, how much is the sofa, how much was the shoes you are wearing, how much was that shopping you are carrying, etc etc

Nope, never. Except a few times when I bought my new motorbike as it was a new model released and different dealers were charging vastly different prices.

You sound a bit paranoid to be honest.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With some it may just be nosiness, but for most I think that the Thais just don't like to pass you without some kind of aknowledgement. Don't know why they tend not to ask "how are you today" instead "Where are you going", "Have you earen yet", "What have you bought/will you buy?" when on the way back or to the shop.

Even when I am holding my purchase in full view, I will still be asked "Seu arai?"

It may seem strange to us, but obviously not to a Thai.

With "Tao rai?", being asked how much everything costs. Just my theory, and I may well be wrong. It may stem from the fact that many, if not most shops still do not display prices. By asking people how much they have paid for various items, they will probably be building a database in their brains of what people are paying. This way, when they go out to buy something similar, they may have an idea of what is a fair price to pay and will barter down to it.

With "Tao rai?", being asked how much everything costs. Just my theory, and I may well be wrong. It may stem from the fact that many, if not most shops still do not display prices. By asking people how much they have paid for various items, they will probably be building a database in their brains of what people are paying. This way, when they go out to buy something similar, they may have an idea of what is a fair price to pay and will barter down to it.

Slightly more complex than this. People are also "building a database"[?] where to put the person who they are asking. Is s/he a person who is taken for a ride by sellers or a good shopper or spender ...

Edited by Morakot

....but on the occasions mentioned above they always ask the wife or the staff in other words another Thai not speak directly to me.

So you never spoke directly with the Thais in question? Not picking on you, but this seems to happen a lot when TV members recount their experiences with Thais. It would be explained as if it was a first-person encounter, when in fact it was more of a third-person sort of thing. Like the wife told me what they said, but of course, the wife may have interpreted the whole experience differently (or not explain it clearly).

Anyways, actual experiences are usually pretty boring and not as controversial (read interesting) as a story embellished.

Not that unusual: People are trying to make conversation. You are not excepted to reveal detailed and intimate facts, similarly as one doesn't to the "how are you?" question.

The conversational possibilities are usually very wide and one can direct it as one likes.

A: What's in the parcel?

• B1: Something I'd like to send to my relative who always likes a nice surprise.
  • B2: Something my wife put in here.
  • B2: Something I'd like to send to my friend who'll be buying a new house soon.
  • B3: I have forgotten what's in here by this unexpected question. What could it be? [ I am not unfriendly and open to how a conversation develops]
  • B4: A giant sex toy for a person whom I randomly met in a public place.
  • B5: If I tell you the content of this parcel, there will be undesirable consequences.

Hope this helps. Have a good day!

What's this... TV guide for dummies?!? blink.png

Id be happy to tell them its the severed head of my nosey neighbour!!

Not that unusual: People are trying to make conversation. You are not excepted to reveal detailed and intimate facts, similarly as one doesn't to the "how are you?" question.

The conversational possibilities are usually very wide and one can direct it as one likes.

• B1: Something I'd like to send to my relative who always likes a nice surprise.
  • B2: Something I'd like to send to my friend who'll be buying a new house soon.
  • B3: I have forgotten what's in here by this unexpected question. What could it be? [ I am not unfriendly and open to how a conversation develops]
  • B5: If I tell you the content of this parcel, there will be undesirable consequences.

Yes, that's B7 ...

Yes, that's B7 ...

...and B6?

...and B6?

Now you're asking. Well for this I recommend you purchase the whole guide. TVF members get a signed copy, plus a complementary DVD with a Step-by-step Guide of Talking to People around the World!! Disclaimer: Other merchandise items are available too.

Edited by Morakot

...and B6?

Now you're asking. Well for this I recommend you purchase the whole guide. TVF members get a signed copy, plus a complementary DVD with a Step-by-step Guide of Talking to People around the World!!

There we go... another sales pitcher trying to lure people into a false sense of hope that this gonna be an educational moment. coffee1.gif

I am not sure what you mean, but i thought it is perfectly normal to ask the price before you buying something.

What I have notice then is whereever i go, people ask me: kin kau jang - have you eaten already

That's a standard Thai greeting.

...and B6?

Now you're asking. Well for this I recommend you purchase the whole guide. TVF members get a signed copy, plus a complementary DVD with a Step-by-step Guide of Talking to People around the World!!

There we go... another sales pitcher trying to lure people into a false sense of hope that this gonna be an educational moment. coffee1.gif

I know such a let down. I promise, 95% of the profit will go to the charity of choice.

Its a two way street.

I disagree.

We are living in Thailand, so should do our best not to offend the local population.

Similarly, as we are living in another country, it is up to us to 'get used' to things we find annoying/offensive.

I wouldn't take any offence regarding the inquisitive nature of the Thai's.

Interesting remarks about the language. Why would you want to live somewhere and rely on your wife/partner to know what's going on. Surely its for a better life if you can speak a little Thai. wink.png

• Like 1

Thanks Will, we now can revealed B6:

• B6: I'm posting this amazing/boring/etc. item... How about you? What're you putting in the post today, good lady? [A two sided approach with an interest in mutual exchange of information and feelings]

Edited by Morakot

Many Thais are 'nosey' to an extent that we find impolite - but I suspect that it depends on the 'class' of the person involved.

Far more interesting (to me) are the Western manners and customs that Thais find impolite! Information on this would be greatly appreciated as I would hate to unwittingly cause offense.

Yes indeed. But my guess is that many TV-members don't care if they offend the Thais or not.

Just my impression.

Yermaneewai.gif

True. But offending Thais is always self-defeating. May feel good for the moment of course. I'd also say the Thais generally don't intend to offend farangs.

Edited by JSixpack

Many Thais are 'nosey' to an extent that we find impolite - but I suspect that it depends on the 'class' of the person involved.

Far more interesting (to me) are the Western manners and customs that Thais find impolite! Information on this would be greatly appreciated as I would hate to unwittingly cause offense.

Yes indeed. But my guess is that many TV-members don't care if they offend the Thais or not.

Just my impression.

Yermaneewai.gif

True. But offending Thais is always self-defeating. May feel good for the moment of course. I'd also say the Thais generally don't intend to offend farangs.

You omitted to mention

" May feel good for the moment of course"

...right until the point where you get hit from behind by 10 of them.

To the OP.. Lighten up a bit. Your not very important. It's just the way thai people are. People can ask whatever they want. There is nothing wrong with someone asking a question, if you don't want to answer then it's up to you.

But don't start moaning about it.. Tiny little thing and no one cares

• Like 2

if it bothers you just say 'mi thai' and they go away.

if they try some english just say 'mi english'.

this works for me. as i dont speak thai either i am blissfully unaware of the many conversations that go on around me about me, except when 'falang' is uttered, a word i have learned to hate for this very reason.

• Like 1