Thailand Aims To Become Medical Hub Within 5 Years

webfact

BANGKOK, AUG 31 – Thailand is moving ahead with an ambition to become a world medical centre within the next five years,..

And I've heard this for at least the last five years.

and even longer.

I think the headline should read, "Thailand Aims to be Hub and Crackdown Centre in Five Years."

Hub of Hubs eh....

Reminds me of an old song...."Spinning wheel...Goin round and round....What

goes up must come down" by Blood Sweat & Tears....

But of course there's no relationship to LOS....Hub of Bravo Sierra?

Edited by sunshine51

Is Thailand ready to become the "hub" of Asian medicine & treatment in 5 years??

Q) Can Thailand make the transition from "government" grafts to "skin" grafts..

A) No

Q) Can Thailand change it's tired brand name of land of smiles to "land of silicon"

A) Maybe

They've got to be kidding. This is just as asinine and hollow as all the other "HUB" announcements.

I don't know about the rest of Thailand, but it seems that Pattaya hospitals are pricing themselves well out of being competitive with the much of the world. Besides that, who would want to put their health in the hands of doctors who have gained their credentials through the Thai education system, which openly allows cheating, copying, and generally any behavior that lets people become doctors without actually learning their trade or working hard to get a degree?

• Like 1

I am getting soooo sick of the word "hub" being blurted out practically on a daily basis and sometimes wonder if those people who use it so deliberately know what it actually means.

It's a bit like the song "Hotel California". It's a nice song, but I've grown so sick of it over the years, because it seems to be the only western song that's in every (and I mean every!) Thai pub band's repertoire and is being played to death over and over and over and over again. I can't listen to it any longer. It makes me nauseous and I usually have to flee the scene as soon as I hear the first few chords.

Someone told me (or I read somewhere) that "Hotel California" is the official anthem for farang in the Kingdom (at least in the Thai mind) and it's been that way since the 70's. I suppose you can only blame the Americans for that.

hub of hubs, for everybody in the world

but mostly know for hub of prostition, corruption, how easely you can lose your life with appartment or hotel diving (pattaya speciality), robbery, extortion (jet ski, taxi, tuk tuk)

Stay tuned for the "Thai Elite Medical Hub Card." This new and improve card will have 10 promises of stability and quality of service and 4 denials that it will be a form of Ponzi Scheme. The THMHC will put its owner in an elite tier of visitors who get more special treatment than those already getting special treatment. The Thais gave 5 assurances of this.

Everyone laughs at the overuse of the word 'hub', but does it really originate with government spokes(wo)men, or simply the lazy English language media?

Without sounding racist, I believe it's an Asian thing to overuse a particular word or phrase. While I was teaching on Taiwan, every single day there was the word "Confab" in one of the headlines. I was raised in an English speaking culture and never saw the word in print until I got to Taiwan.

I'm sure if an article about this was published in a Thai newspaper, the headline would probably read: "Taiwan, the Hub of Ad Nauseum. ".

Isn't Thailand already the medical hub of SE Asia? I've never heard of (white) people flying to any other ASEAN country to get medical/dental work done except for Thailand.

I say white people because I have no idea where the rich Chinese go for their surgeries. Korea maybe?

Two industries related to tourism, golf and the film industry in Thailand. Film creates around THB1.4BN a year, whilst Golf brings in around THB8.6BN. So where does the figure of THB800BN come from (100 times)? Give out the stats on numbers of people, then the per capita spending projections, OR is it that the cost of medical care in Thailand is about to scream through the roof on costs to meet that income generation prediction?

Latest stats (2011) show total tourism at a tad under 20M and average spending around only THB5,000/day with an average stay of 10 days/person. That does not equate to anything sprouted by the Prime Monster. If you take figures that show American medical tourists who seek care offshore as about 1M p.a., if Thailand was to get say 10% of their existing tourists' numbers (2M med-tours) they would have to spend what? Upwards of 400,000THB each to hit that figure. Since TAT has not updated their website on tourism since 2007 (http://www2.tat.or.t...tatic_index.php) and more updated stats (http://www.thaiwebsi...com/tourism.asp) shows tourism actually down again, the let's get some reality in the media propaganda as sprouted by the continuing lies of the Government. Perhaps the only truth in the article is the heading ... "Aims To Become" i.e. more a wish than a reality.

Edited by asiawatcher

I think that if they really invest in becoming a medical hub this can produce huge ravenues to the Thais, I mean if I must choose between going to Korea or coming to Thailand for medical treatment, I believe that Thailand is by far a better obtion.

why? because you are broke?