Don Mueang......will You Use It!

theblether

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my gf got our flight times mixed up and we had two hours to wait so......

Took the bridge over to the Amari hotel and waited in the lobby.

Good fresh juices and free wifi.....pleasant quiet way to spend an hour and better value than the coffee places inside the airport. :)

• Like 2

Looking at Phuket to BKK to catch an international flight at Swampy.

So far, I am not seeing in the selection a budget airlines that goes to Swampy anymore......(??)

From Phuket, is there still a budget going to Swampy? What a headache to have to transfer.........

Bangkok Airways still goes to Swampy

Is the bar outside returned?

I loved that place.....smile.png

Using DM soon....also best place for breakfast....anything but Burger King please.

The German beer place? No it's not returned, only Terminal 1 is operating and that was the far end of Terminal 2.

Also the canteen hidden aruond the back that the staff and airline crew used is not there any more either.

The old food place at the top of the escalator is there, and there's a noodle place at the top of the opposite stairs by check in counter 1, and both ends there's a coffee shop.

In international departures I remember seeing a Pizza Hut and Burger King, there were other food outlets but I wasn't paying much attention.

Looking at Phuket to BKK to catch an international flight at Swampy.

So far, I am not seeing in the selection a budget airlines that goes to Swampy anymore......(??)

From Phuket, is there still a budget going to Swampy? What a headache to have to transfer.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suvarnabhumi_Airport

Bangkok Airways, Thai and Thai Smile fly from HKT to BKK

The choice is really dictated by carrier, and I doubt more than handful of people (weekly commuters, those who live nearby) will choose by airport. Rather they will choose on route, price, schedule, carrier.

Many of the destinations ex-DMK are only served from DMK, and limited to daylight operation, so choices/options somewhat limited.

If you are flying Air Asia (FD, on/after 1 Oct. 2012), Nok Air (DD) or Thai Orient (OX), then you will obviously have to use DMK.

I thought OX are staying at Suvarnabhumi? Or have they moved now? Not that I'd ever use them anyway...

Have you ever think International bag without baggage wrapping service???

The choice is really dictated by carrier, and I doubt more than handful of people (weekly commuters, those who live nearby) will choose by airport. Rather they will choose on route, price, schedule, carrier.

Many of the destinations ex-DMK are only served from DMK, and limited to daylight operation, so choices/options somewhat limited.

If you are flying Air Asia (FD, on/after 1 Oct. 2012), Nok Air (DD) or Thai Orient (OX), then you will obviously have to use DMK.

I thought OX are staying at Suvarnabhumi? Or have they moved now? Not that I'd ever use them anyway...

Have you ever think International bag without baggage wrapping service???

What does this mean?

There are many variables that will effect my decision.

Am I transiting to another port domestic or oversees.

Am I travelling alone or with the family.

I will fly to whichever airport that will suit my circumstances.

I have a choice of Thai or Air Asia

this coffee1.gif

I would have no real issues with this place if there was a train/sky train service connecting it to the rest of the city.

I will fly in in a few weeks on Air Asia. I had no idea they had moved operations to DM until a few days ago.

As I stay around Rhamkamheng it isn't great for me arriving at 11pm nor departing at 6 am........

That said, it will be interesting to see this airport for the first time in 9 years. I hated the taxi journey there then though.

There is always the bus from UB , CNX or such, down to mochito and then the jump over to SV , bus taxi and so on . It's not so bad, at 0400 AM traffic is still thin . Freedom of choice , like .

Or the tollway from Ramkhamhaeng.....almost your own private road at those times of day.

Over the last 5 years I have been flying Air Asia around 10 legs/year.

For 2013 only one leg booked, late April, return from europe landing +- 07am, next Thai Airways to Udon at 14.00, not wanting to wait that long after leaving house 15h before, AA leaves DM at 11am and have free Benz (flying biz with Etihad) between Swampy and DM, thus shortening my trip by 3h.

Late march flying Thai Udon to swampy to catch flight to Europe leaving 20.00 arriving Swampy 17.00, leaving 3h to connect, good timing, no need to save 1k baht versus hassle to have a ride from DM to S even with a free ride between airports.

AA's promotions are not that good anymore together with the extra hassle to commute between both airports and some feeling of getting tired flying LLC makes I am no longer a good AA or Nok customer.

• 1 month later...

Just returned to DM from another AA adventure to HCM City. What a rat race. Even given this was over a holiday weekend, AA check in was a mess. I checked in online as usual expecting to have a quick stop to baggage drop and document check, then to the gate. Well, after over an hour in line, I finally got my bag checked in and was headed for he gate. Immigration and security was easy. Info for another post- HCM visa on arrival is still very slow. Return trip left HCM City within a half hour of scheduled time and arrived at DM on schedule. Immigration was very slow for no more people than were there. Next was the Taxi stand. After 45 minutes we finally secured a taxi. Total time at DM after arrival 2 hours. Next trip will be from Swampy even with higher ticket prices.

Just returned to DM from another AA adventure to HCM City. What a rat race. Even given this was over a holiday weekend, A[ir]A[sia] check in was a mess. I checked in online as usual expecting to have a quick stop to baggage drop and document check, then to the gate. Well, after over an hour in line, I finally got my bag checked in and was headed for he gate. Immigration and security was easy. Info for another post- HCM visa on arrival is still very slow. Return trip left HCM City within a half hour of scheduled time and arrived at DM on schedule. Immigration was very slow for no more people than were there. Next was the Taxi stand. After 45 minutes we finally secured a taxi. Total time at DM after arrival 2 hours. Next trip will be from Swampy even with higher ticket prices.

Can you imagine how bad Suvarnabhumi would be if AirAsia was still flying in/out of there?

Been using it every month since it reopened.

Positives:

Quick check-in, not too crowded, feels authentic, Magic food court, parking, fast baggage claim, not far to walk to plane.

Negatives:

No wifi (unless flying Nok) lack of transport choices, taxi queue (go to departure level)

My flight arrives at 5:30 on a Friday so worst time to get into central Bkk sad.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Arrived in DM on 22nd this month around 2,45pm with Air Asia from Medan Indonesia. Went to the 3rd floor and bought a ticket at Nok Air counter to Udon Thani. It went rather smooth. Within few hours I was thus from Medan in Udon Thani smile.png

Well for me it's all about the money.So unless someone dies and leaves me with a huge stash,I will fly AA.The shuttle was quick from swampy going and coming .When i arrived i had a long layover so i stayed a night at the Amari (it was great). NO WIFI except NOK I asked the clerk if he would give me the code he refused( don't hurt to ask) :)) .Same story at Udon. BUT when my ship comes in I think i will fly direct from Phoenix to Khonkaen. (private jet) full speed maybe 14 hours .LOL you gotta dream:)))

NO WIFI except NOK I asked the clerk if he would give me the code he refused( don't hurt to ask) smile.png)

The free Nok Air internet inside DMK only works if you have a booking reference code with Nok Air. Quite a sensible way of restricting the net access only to pax flying with Nok. The clerk would not have been able to provide you one even if he wanted to.

• 4 months later...

Visited Don Mueang for the first time in years to fly Nok Air to Phuket recently. So many good and bad memories from years ago. Nice to see the old girl again. Nok Air seem to have adopted a policy of only employing tall, slim and very attractive ladies as check-in and information staff. A pleasant surprise.

The airport for obvious reasons is a lot quieter now with very limited catering/bar facilities. Upstairs before going airside are 2 or 3 small restaurants serving Thai and limited (and expensive) farang food. Airside are a number of coffee shops, a 7/11 and a few snack bars. Nothing special but there again it's virtually a small regional airport these days.

Upstairs before going airside are 2 or 3 small restaurants serving Thai and limited (and expensive) farang food.

I love the Thai food at the upstairs Silom Village washed down with a few Singhas.

My wife and I also patronise the same airside at Swampy on our return to the UK. Okay, it's not so cheap but no worse than anywhere at LHR.

• 2 months later...