Don Mueang......will You Use It!

theblether

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be if DM floods and you can't use it coffee1.giftongue.png

Hi Blether(er)

I wonder just how many times in DMs commercial lifetime (about 80 years) it has suffered problem you seem so concerned about??

I rather miss the joint -- many many fond memories. Yeah DM !!!

Edited by tig28

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what the future prices will be but the last time I went to Pattaya Bangkok Air was only 300 bhat more than Air Asia flying into swampy then.

I would rather pay the 300 baht and get decent service plus the lounge than fly Air Asia. I don't know where my next trip will be but if there is only 400 baht or less difference I will pay the extra.

• Like 1

I don't know what the future prices will be but the last time I went to Pattaya Bangkok Air was only 300 bhat more than Air Asia flying into swampy then.

I would rather pay the 300 baht and get decent service plus the lounge than fly Air Asia. I don't know where my next trip will be but if there is only 400 baht or less difference I will pay the extra.

I'm with you on this one. I like AirAsia's newer planes but 90 baht for a 325 ml bottle of water is a bit much. Wouldn't take much water to offset the difference in fares.

David

Used it 2 days ago and yesterday again.

Some matters need to be cleared (immigration, duty free shops and parking)

Immigration officers were in training, duty free shops weren't full in operational and the parking is a horror.......not enough spaces and big chance that you have to park "double"; not very nice for long term parking.

I flew out of and into DM over the last few days for a visa run. It was an absolute breath of fresh air! I had no luggage so didn't have to check in / bag drop, but saw no queues. Immigration was a dream. Yes the marking of the booths was poor but the women on duty just told me to use any line. That said there were only 2-3 people in each line anyway; I queued for 3 minutes. There was an actual sky bridge to the plane, no sitting on a bus for 15 minutes and taking 20 minutes to walk to the gate, and the flight took off dead on time. On the way back in, again immigration was a dream - I was told to go in the diplomatic queue and waited maybe 5 minutes. All the other lines were about the same. I had no luggage but people off my flight had collected theirs by the time I had used the toilets through customs. The only bad bit of the whole experience was the taxi queue, which was absolute chaos, but still only a 15 minute wait. The driver did try to rip me off with double speed meter, but I told him I knew the price and he backed down. All in all so much easier than Swampy for me, will definitely use again.

Trust you to be the first poster on a new forum clap2.gif

I have to fly into Bangkok monthly from here. I have a few options open to me and usually use AirAsia from Udon. Now they're changing to DM I'm cosidering using Thai or Lao Airlines. Both are considerably more expensive but using DM regularly is not convenient for me.

I changed my mind and used DM last week from Udon. It did bring back some memories of days gone by and was a pleasant experience.

My luggage was on the conveyor belt when I arrived, easy and quick to get a taxi and on the return trip was a lot quicker than Swampy. I didnt use the free AA shuttle bus but it was right outside the terminal waiting for passengers. I will use this route again smile.png

I have just returned from my weekend trip flying AirAsia via Don Mueang. I would give the airport a B- grade.

It was a breath of fresh air indeed to land last Friday noon in a surprisingly quiet arrival hall and I almost shouted with joy to see that there were no queues at the immigration counter. There were even counters for 'Asean' tourists. Baggage arrival was fast and I was cleared within 15 minutes on arrival....so it's all good.

One little tips. As there are fewer flights landing in DM compared to Swampy, custom guys have too much time on their hands... the chances of you being asked to put your luggages through the scanner is very high. Many of the arrival passengers on my flight had their bags scanned. So if you are bringing in extra bottle of whiskey, cartons of cigarettes or whatever, please bear this in mind.

Departing from DM was a little chaotic at the AA counter... it was a real tight squeeze. But passing immigration again was a breeze. The complaints about not having enough chairs along the walkway is a legitimate complaint... plus there are not enough monitor screen throughout the airport. Tourists were sitting on the floor near the screen.... it looks more like a classy bus station than an airport. Also, they were playing some awful programmes on all their tv in the waiting lounge.... I wonder why they did not have BBC or other worthy tv chanels for the waiting tourists to relax. They used to have that in the old DM airport. Also, while the rather swanky toilet near the duty-free is nice to look at, it was over-used and it stank and the whole toilet was dirty.

But other than the above minor complaints that the airport should be able to resolve quickly (surely, it would not cost that much to bring in new chairs) it was a rather pleasant experience overall. Will definitely use it again.

Had to fly to Hat Yai a couple of days ago and, since I live in Nonthaburi, decided to try Air Asia from DMK.

Never used DMK before and, have to say, was a far faster experience than BKK. Landed early and straight to the skybridge, had to wait 5 mins for the bag and then out to the driver.

Was home 40 mins after the door opened on the plane.

Far better than the 1 1/2hrs + drive from Swampy to Chaeng Wattana....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Outside for the bar....inside for food. :)

In fact a bar anywhere....:D....preferably serving Bloody Mary for bfast. :)

Edit: Where you escaping to David? I thought you were sentenced to a farm work camp holiday! :D

Edited by smokie36

I am granted leave for Loy Kathong up the Chiang Mai ... with parents as chaperones.

So the 4 of us are a wee flight up north.

First time flying for Mar and Pa Farmer ... ohmy.png

Up with AisAsia from Don Mueang to Chiang Rai then back from Chiang Mai to Swampy with Thai.

Fly the return leg let's then have much face by saying they flew Thai Airlines and maybe, if the wind is right, we fly over their Farm if the flight U-Turns over the Gulf of Thailand coming into Swampy.

Thai is so much more expensive then AA ... sad.png

Parents will be happy, means gf happy and then David has a chance of being happy ... biggrin.png

David - you can check Bangkok Airways for the CM to Bkk leg. they fly into suvannabhum, and have a very reasonable rate going (not sure if for the date you want), but Im checking for next week and some flights at 2150 while AA or Nok is roughly the same.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is the bar outside returned?

I loved that place.....smile.png

Using DM soon....also best place for breakfast....anything but Burger King please.

Mate ... I'm flying though there in a week ... where do I look and I'll let you know..

Sadly, I have to report that ... I have no report for you.

The Taxi to collect us was 20 mins late (we were going from an hour south of Swampy) up to DM and hit the Lumpimi Off Ramp round 9.30 and crawled up to that junction no better then walking pace for the best part of 1/2 an hour ... so were a bit tight for time when we arrived at DM.

Combine that with traveling with the GF's parents, first time ever flying and an action dad (walk first - think later rolleyes.gif ... even though he had no idea where he was going) ... no chance to have an explore before entering the actual Airport.

A brand new forum and I get to go first!!! Happy days!!

So the first question is......will you use DM or avoid like the plague unless you have no choice?

I'm going with the avoid like the plague option. smile.png

I think the best way to address it is to ensure the travel agent tells you up front that you will need to use DM. I wasnt told and asked for a refund....mmm mistake as internet payments to Air Asia or other Budget airlines will not refund.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

A friend of mine from Indonesia was in Thailand for a week. His flight back was on AA out of DM at 8 PM - He caught a taxi at 5:30 PM on the last Friday of the month and it took 90 minutes. I don't mind the fact that DM on the check-in side still looks 100 years old (but departure side is refurbished) - I hate the fact that just after the long-awaited airport link is open to Survanabumi - 25% of the flights are now moved to another site which does not offer anything but taxi/bus/ox cart -

• 3 weeks later...