Farang Giving Up All To Come And Live In Pattaya

irishlad

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP seems like a real good catch for a good girl in Pattaya!

or a loser with women?

Why? I have a friend that is 49, has never been married and according to him, has never had a GF longer than 6 days. His home is paid for, has a Lexus and a Porsche in the garage, dates women frequently and travels ever 2 months on holiday. This weekend he's off to the DR. He is happy with his life, so why in you mind is someone that is 48 and single a loser with women? I only wished I had his forethought as neither of my two marriages have lasted and cost me a bundle!!!

• Like 1

The OP seems like a real good catch for a good girl in Pattaya!

or a loser with women?

Why? I have a friend that is 49, has never been married and according to him, has never had a GF longer than 6 days. His home is paid for, has a Lexus and a Porsche in the garage, dates women frequently and travels ever 2 months on holiday. This weekend he's off to the DR. He is happy with his life, so why in you mind is someone that is 48 and single a loser with women? I only wished I had his forethought as neither of my two marriages have lasted and cost me a bundle!!!

I bet his Mum is disappointed in him.

May I ask why you are 48 and still single?

Probably because he's got his head screwed on properly.

Most women marry because they want to bear children and need a ‘mate’ and then security while raising their child(ren). Strong minded, financially and emotionally independent women tend to put off getting married for longer and they make the most of their lives in the meantime.

I think for men it is just the same, only difference being that strong minded, financially and emotionally independent men have it better because when they are single and play the field they can call themselves a ‘real lad’, whereas women get called sluts.

I’ve noticed that men who have children and family obligations, or have been divorced and remarried, tend to look down on men who had the strength and good fortune to remain single, free and happy; specially if they are also good at pulling attractive women.

Why is that I wonder?

I can barely take those ignorant blows to pattaya, I.e. reducing pattaya to a red light district and ignoring the fact that many of us live here a pretty normal life. Just because you don't meet those people in a beer bar in soi 7,it doesn't mean they don't exist.

But the speculations as to WHY the OP is 48 and single has to stop. He's single. Live with that and rather give him some sound advise than beating some newbie to the forum to pulp because here revealed some detail about his private life you find remarkable.

sent from my Android phone

• Like 1

There's no point in fighting the image of Sin City, just embrace being a lucky bastard and flash a winners grin. While those with brain will see the world standard suburb dweller and shake their heads in amusement, the bible belt population will breathe out all sorts of fire and tell very entertaining tales of dudes roasting on a spit and all that. Taking a piss is just standard action and gives excellent fun value for almost zero effort.

If you truly are thinking about retirement then first look at your finances.

I think at your age you are looking at min 30 million baht in savings and investments to guarantee a good retirement income preferably around 40 million.

Even with that amount you will have to be prudent as 10 years down the track you could be in financial distress.

Then you have to decide what you are going to do with your time.

You say you are a lad which means to mean that you probably like drinking.

If this is the case then you will be well and truly stuffed in Pattaya if you cant control your drinking habits. Too many temptations really.

Anyway you are not really taking any risks coming for a few months because you have no family commitments and you can easily get a job back in Europe if you are a contractor so really nothing much to lose.

Why limit yourself to Pattaya travel around the world and enjoy yourself in many different places.

That is what i would do in your situation.

Please ignore this nonsense.You can live on 30.000 baht a month, including going out on gogo whenever,as long as you don't give away your money.So under assumption you are 48 and pension kicks in at 65,that is 30.000*12month*17years = 6.12 million baht

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 1

I think at your age you are looking at min 30 million baht in savings and investments to guarantee a good retirement income preferably around 40 million.

Even with that amount you will have to be prudent as 10 years down the track you could be in financial distress.

If this is the case then you will be well and truly stuffed in Pattaya if you cant control your drinking habits. Too many temptations really.

Anyway you are not really taking any risks coming for a few months because you have no family commitments and you can easily get a job back in Europe if you are a contractor so really nothing much to lose.

Why limit yourself to Pattaya travel around the world and enjoy yourself in many different places.

Please ignore this nonsense.You can live on 30.000 baht a month, including going out on gogo whenever,as long as you don't give away your money.So under assumption you are 48 and pension kicks in at 65,that is 30.000*12month*17years = 6.12 million baht

I think on 30K a month you might well be able to visit a few go-go's a month, but you won't be drinking much and I doubt you'll be having many takeaways either sad.png .

Living on 30K is possible, but you won't be partying often IMHO. Might be OK if you fancy a quite life.

Just to make sure I understand, are you saying that approx $1.3 million in US Dollars would be needed?

Thanks.

:)

I think on 30K a month you might well be able to visit a few go-go's a month, but you won't be drinking much and I doubt you'll be having many takeaways either sad.png .

Living on 30K is possible, but you won't be partying often IMHO. Might be OK if you fancy a quite life.

Yes, that means no giving away ladydrinks, no barfine, no paying for sex, or otherwisewasting money.It also means hitting the gogo's at happy hour.But it is possible to go out and drink at gogo several times per week

Yes, that means no giving away ladydrinks, no barfine, no paying for sex, or otherwisewasting money.It also means hitting the gogo's at happy hour.But it is possible to go out and drink at gogo several times per week

OK fair point - you could go and sit in them, early in the evening, every now and then, on 30K a month - no argument there.

• Like 1

If you plan on meeting a girl that works in 7-11 or any reputable work (as in not a bar girl) then I would suggest you start learning some Thai now as most of these girls don't speak any English. If you decide you like it here and are going to stay then maybe continue your studies when you get here even on an Ed Visa studying Thai.

This way you will be able to communicate with the "real" girls and find a good one.

Irish are good folk from all I have met and normally happy and enjoy life so I don't think you will have problem if you stay safe and legal.

Pattaya is a wonderful place to live and I have been here for some time. If you need any help when you get here or just want to enjoy a beer somewhere just send me a private message. I'm 51so the same era.

Just to make sure I understand, are you saying that approx $1.3 million in US Dollars would be needed?

Thanks.

smile.png

Sure if you want to live a good life in Thailand you would need something like this.

30k a month just doesnt cut it neither does living in a bedsit for the rest of your life and chasing happy hours at gogos.

What sort of life is that?

Why come to Thailand to live a dogs life?

Most people I know live in a reasonably nice house or apartment and drive a car. Why wouldnt you expect to live the same in Thailand?

I would also expect to have a few trips a year to different countries. You would need medical insurance and then if you have any dependents you would obviously need to support them eg wife, kids, girlfriend.

Further you need to hedge against inflation and currency flucuations to preserve your capital.

Given at 48 you might live another 30 odd years even at 30-40million baht you would still need to be very prudent.

Expect people that have been here 5 mins to be experts on how you should set up.

Expect long term expats to be mostly dismissive to start

what ever your budget double it untill you make the transition from long holiday to actually living here.

As cathy said lend money to no one ( unless your prepared to write it off)

Get away from the bar scene and open your eye's to what is actually in Thailand.

Get a interest, diving, photography, trekking, football, painting whatever to get you in new circles and expand your outlook

Remember the 3 F,s rule.....if it floats f##ks or flys rent it.

Remember Buying a house in her name won't work out in most cases

Expect to enjoy yourself don't get caught up with burnt out old expats and there negativity.

@Blithesome Blogger but then I would have to reurn to the EURO IT contracting scene, defo dont want that

If you are smart the money won’t run out all that quickly. I have been here 35 years and still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up and still have a wedge. I said enjoy yourself, not be irresponsible.wink.png

+1- good post.

Given at 48 you might live another 30 odd years even at 30-40million baht you would still need to be very prudent.

You forgot that he get a pension at 65, so it is a matter of 17 years.

And you estimate that he have to live prudent on 2.35 million baht per year,

which translates into just under 200.000 baht per month.

That is also under the assumption that those money generates nothing,

i.e that he wouldn't even get bank interest.

Well guess what, he doesn't even make that money in UK,

where it is more expensive to exist,

so the sooner he get out of there, the more money he save.

Try apply math in your guesstimate's before giving 'advice'

• Like 1

to meet a "normal decent lass" one who works in a 7/11 or a bank

Suggest you also add the hi-so Chinese option. smile.png

But please ensure her family is well connected in Army, Navy, Goverment, immigration or Police and it goes without saying she needs to have at least a single doctorate preferably in nuclear physics

Hi !!!

THANKS everyone for the advice and the put downs etc .

To clarify for a few posters

1) A real lad can be aged 48, earning good contract rates (350-400EUR day) and living the life ,dating, shagging etc, watching footie ,travelling....try tagged.com, friendscout24.de etc.......so you can live like a 25 year old NO Issue ,if you have cash !!

2) Bavarian girls, ??? I live in Munich, work for Telefonica, earn great rates, had enough, taking a change in life,,, I would hardly meet any germans outside of work..we live in social networking world..here has bnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnna diffreent event for every night....from curry nights, to beergarden meets up, where everyone is international. Why would I bore myself with a bavarian lass?

3) 1,3 Million dollars to retire in Pattaya.....even a freelance IT contractor cant accumalate this!!

4) Someone sent me a webiste with IT jobs, I was asking them about IT jobs in Thailand NOT Europe !!

5) Giving it all up, I mean leaving a good contract (That I have been in for a year) and going to zero income in Thailand.....

I am thankful for the advice, and also I am not fat and an alcoholic but seemingly I will be in 5 years !!

I hope my move works out but as one poster pointed out, it will probably end up extended hoilday and I may have to reurn home in a year or so.......hope not, but yes I dont really have a surce of income after this month but defo have enough "wedge" to live 3 or 4 years in THAI unless some thai lass works her magic!!

Anyhow thanks everyone...and I will contact the posters direct who offered me the option ,when I arrive !!!!

THANKS

Edited by Rimmer
Forum link removed as per forum rules

If you plan on meeting a girl that works in 7-11 or any reputable work (as in not a bar girl) then I would suggest you start learning some Thai now as most of these girls don't speak any English. If you decide you like it here and are going to stay then maybe continue your studies when you get here even on an Ed Visa studying Thai.

This way you will be able to communicate with the "real" girls and find a good one.

Irish are good folk from all I have met and normally happy and enjoy life so I don't think you will have problem if you stay safe and legal.

Pattaya is a wonderful place to live and I have been here for some time. If you need any help when you get here or just want to enjoy a beer somewhere just send me a private message. I'm 51so the same era.

Gone - can I come out for a drink with you too?

One of life's satisfying feelings is being told it wont work, don't do it, your mad if you do that, etc etc. Then you go and do it anyway and it works because deep down you know your a survivor and you will give it your best, unlike the others.

You don't need millions of baht in the bank and you don't need a plan (like the idiots with their business plans that are laughable) you just need to be switched on and worldly as it appears you are.

You could end up here for years or it could be a stepping stone for other things in life, just come over and go for it.

Firstly you are assuming that the pension will still be available in 20 years and secondly that it will keep pace with inflation.

I wouldnt want to bank on that at all. The pension age is also rising all the time.

Further in 20 years time how expensive do you think thailand might be?

Then you assume that you should eat into your capital. That is a major mistake. In fact any retirement planning includes saving a portion of your investment income to hedge against inflation.

Lastly you need to consider potential health costs in a foreign country which can be quite horrendous as you age.

You have clearly shown by your post that you are financially illiterate when it comes to retirement planning.

Firstly you are assuming that the pension will still be available in 20 years and secondly that it will keep pace with inflation.

I wouldnt want to bank on that at all. The pension age is also rising all the time.

Further in 20 years time how expensive do you think thailand might be?

Then you assume that you should eat into your capital. That is a major mistake. In fact any retirement planning includes saving a portion of your investment income to hedge against inflation.

Lastly you need to consider potential health costs in a foreign country which can be quite horrendous as you age.

You have clearly shown by your post that you are financially illiterate when it comes to retirement planning.

You can live a fine lifestyle in Thailand on 500k a year,

Enough to support a MIL, wife and two children if you want.

Enough to take a different woman home every other night, if that is your wish.

13M bht in a Thai bank can generate that much income at the current 3.3%.

(or 10M bht in an Australian bank account at 5.3%)

(That's 200-250kUKP)

If you want to make random assumptions about the future, why not assume you will be dead in a m/c accident within 10 years or everyone will be dead due to plague or nuclear war ............ at some time in your life, you have to decide you have enough money, or do nothing forever.

Hedge against poor health/inflation/currency exchange rates/war with Cambodia ..... I'm surprised some people ever get up enough courage to cross a road, really.

Edited by TommoPhysicist