Visarun To Burma

That would be nuts! :o

There's alot of drunk/high people on the road in Burma, and it's generally not a good idea to present yourself as an easy target by travelling alone. Banditry isn't exactly unknown and sometimes the "officials" aren't much better than the bandits. I think the risk is not worth the adventure. I wouldn't recomend it. If you broke down on a remote stretch of highway you could be really screwed, and in alot of danger.

If you just want to do a border hop to Tachilek, park your bike in Mae Sai and walk across. Make sure all your paperwork for the bike is legal and your licence is in order as you will most likely be stopped at about three police checkpoints in the 100km before you reach the border.

Myself, I've never gone past Tachilek so take the advice with a grain of salt, but look very carefully at the situation before planning anything like this.

cv

That would be nuts! :o

There's alot of drunk/high people on the road in Burma, and it's generally not a good idea to present yourself as an easy target by travelling alone. Banditry isn't exactly unknown and sometimes the "officials" aren't much better than the bandits. I think the risk is not worth the adventure. I wouldn't recomend it. If you broke down on a remote stretch of highway you could be really screwed, and in alot of danger.

Good advice !

If you plan to travel from Thailand to Myanmar, I think and I'm almost sure that will be impossible to get to Rangoon.

For example, you do not need any visa to get to Myanmar when you cross the border at Maesot or at Maesai and you do not need to buy FEC (foreign exchange currency) but it only allows you to stay one day.

I've heard that you can obtain something like a 10 day visa (little more or little less, I don't remember) at Maesai and subject to carry FEC to go to the northen Myanmar even can reach the Chinese border (there the locals only accept dollars, not FEC, so you'll need both).

Whatever, I do think that is quite dangerous by motorbike in case if they allow you to enter with.

Trought that way, even by bus, I don't think that you can go to Rangoon because of too many troubles in the area you would have to cross.

Don't forget : Myanmar is not Thailand. It's not Wonderland nor amazing Myanmar.

The safer is to put your motorcycle in a ship and travel safely to Rangoon....a bit long...and even from Rangoon, you need authorisation to travel if you only want to go to Moulmein by train or bus....so by motorbike....that would allow you to escape from the militaries eyesight....I don't think they'll let you. It was maybe possible before the Junta took the power (almost 20 years ago).

Definitly dangerous and not a good idea.

thank you both cdnvic and Bruno for your sympathetic advice. I think, I shall simply refrain from planning the tour with my bike. I agree with you, why should I challenge a danger and be an easy victim for bandits or people who only take advantage of me.

Thanks again.

Castelleone

• 2 weeks later...
Guest IT Manager

A few points worth bearing in mind:

I love Burma. The people rate as the friendliest I have ever met. I go to Yangon to see friends every visa run.

I fly.

I get a visa online through these people. It takes 3-5 days, I don't send my passport anywhere. They send me an online visa which I present at immigration and a man takes care of everything. If someone forgets to get your money, they call you and ask when it will be convenient for them to pick it up.

We have established a network of assistants in Yangon, to help with getting around, getting accommodation, and seeing the country, which can cost as little as 30 dollars per day.

We have several drivers there who are very good and will show you not only Yangon, but other parts of the country. They all speak perfect English.

We have a network of hotels developing, aimed at different levels of the market. (cheap up to 5 star).

Driving around on your own is not a great idea. Not as many signs in English as there are in Thailand. The people are not bandits, though like all countries they have there fair share.

You cannot use credit/ATM cards there in most places. Ergo, take cash in US Dollars. The bigger hotels do use credit cards.

Telephones suck.

Internet cafés are there but not as many as here.

The Burmese are good communicators.

The Burmese are good smilers.

The Burmese like to meet new people.

If a girl walks up to you in the street and says "good morning" she doesn't automatically want you to take her to bed.

You can stay up late drinking, if you wish.

There are a few good bars where foreigners are welcome, some of them run by and worked in, by foreigners.

You will love it, and probably, like me, you will want to go back there.

• 3 weeks later...

I read somewhere today that the Burma Gov have done away with the compulsory 200 $ min.local dosh purchase,ie no need to buy Kip.Also as above VISA now available on Internet.Would like to re-looksee (long time no been)but whats the latest with Aung San Sue...is she still under detention...all very quiet? :o

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Myanmar (Burma)

######'s advice is all good and correct.

To go back to the bike thing, it is remotely possible but requires some intense forward planning - to do it for a visa run is not wise. Most Burmese visas until recently included the words "LAND TRAVEL NOT PERMITTED" and this was for a good reason.

Foreigners are not advised to take an overland route without well planned security measures and itineraries.

Apart from that Myanmar is a lovely country to visit and well worth the effort.

It is a different world from Thailand - imagine Thailand today without any western influences, and a Thai Expat Forum with only a few hundred members (i.e. because there were only several hundred expats, not several hundred thousand!?)

No ATM's, nowhere to draw/use money from a visa card, no mobile phone 'roaming' access - a poofteenth of the Bangkok traffic.....

...and you have Yangon.

Rinrada - the USD$200 compulsory exchange is still off.

IT - you are welcome back any time (I'll try to get to Yangon for a drink with you next trip!), as are any other new interested visitors with an open mind.

Accomm is cheap and good, the people are friendly, and as IT said - not everyone who fronts up for a chat is out to get something from you.

Best of luck with the visa renewal, whatever way you decide

SVB

Also be aware that motorbikes are banned in Yangon (due to some assassination attempt). The ones seen are either Military staff, or dipo plates (very rare).

Driving on any road outside of a major city (even inside it's dangerous at certain times) is definatly NOT recomended. An accident will usually help you part with quite a few thousand dollars. You will not be able to ride a thai licensed bike anywhere in Myanmar.

The general Myanmar person has no road sence, in or out of a car. walking 4 abreast on a major road at night time is a common occurance. I only drive here as i've been involved in a near life theatening accident in a Taxi, with my wife and mother in law also present. If i dont drive, i dont go out.

I'm a full time resident here in Yangon, so if any advice is needed, I along with a few others here will be all to happy to help.

Cheers

./P