Australian Duty Free Tobacco Allowance Has Changed

BookMan

From September 1, the duty free allowance for bringing tobacco into Australia has changed. It has gone from 250 cigarettes to 50 cigarettes. See article below.

I always bought a carton at Swampy for a friend on my way back. Wont bother buying 2 packs.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/dutyfree-changes-to-cause-chaos-20120831-255x7.html

• Like 1

"Passengers, particularly from the inbound Asian and Chinese tourism markets, have been given little or no warning, the association says."

This was announced in the May budget. There have been some threads on this forum about this. When I travel to other countries I will search the internet about their duty free concessions before I travel. Most duty free shops will advertise what other countries will allow. I find the above statement to be very poor.

Edit The Customs website has had a notice re the change since June

Edited by ripstanley

"Passengers, particularly from the inbound Asian and Chinese tourism markets, have been given little or no warning, the association says."

This was announced in the May budget. There have been some threads on this forum about this. When I travel to other countries I will search the internet about their duty free concessions before I travel. Most duty free shops will advertise what other countries will allow. I find the above statement to be very poor.

Edit The Customs website has had a notice re the change since June

The airports association have the vested interest in wanting its duty free retailers to be able to sell duty free tobacco. Well i assume you wont be able to buy duty free tobacco there also. (Australian side)

Edited by BookMan

errr.....Good ...well done Auz ..

Why ?

Next, ban big inch motors, ban mosquito spray, ban barbecues.

They are all bad for you or the guy that isn't involved with them. rolleyes.gif

Cigarettes are not banned - you can bring in as many as you want.

The only thing that has changed is that you no longer get the duty concession.

Edited by jackspratt