I Jumped Ship And Bought A Macbook Air

thaicruze

Apple vs Windows is a very personal and often passionate debate (and that's putting it mildly). I run both, have two Apples and four Windows machines for both business and entertainment, and have some strong likes and dislikes. I will focus on Apple as that is the topic of discussion on this thread.

First, the likes - Apple machines just work. They had the concept of "plug and play" LONG before Windows. I like to play guitar while watching YouTube videos and I have several digital interfaces that I can use simultaneously as the sound card. I couldn't do this with Windows before Pro Tools version 9 (which now does, making this argument moot). I have a full 88-key keyboard that isn't recognized by any Windows system, Apple saw it and immediately used it.

Now, the other side of the coin - That new Airbook has only two USB ports, no network port, no optical drive, and no line in. As for the USB ports, I rarely use less than three ports on any given session. Wireless network? I absolutely do NOT trust a wireless network (I've been hacked via wireless, very costly lesson), a hard wired network is faster and more secure. No optical drive? Well, you CAN buy an external drive from Apple (why their stock is so hot and I am so resentful). The line in is the most seriously detrimental change in my opinion. Garage Band software has come with Apple OS for years. With a simple adapter, you could plug an average priced guitar into the line in and sound like a rock star. Now, you have to purchase an additional external device (see a recurring theme here?) starting at about $200 U.S.

I've not done any name calling or flaming, I've simply reported the facts as I know them.

So for your requirements, you'd be daft to be looking at ultrabooks.......from any manufacturer

Why not look at a macbook pro, tho it does still only have 2 USBs, but could get a hub for 500b....

The main difference is style, and efficiency. OS X is way better in both regards.

But, if you compare both OS X and Windows to, say, iPhone / iPad / iOS, they're pretty alike.

MS makes an office version for Mac. It's crap but... they do make it... wink.png

PS: If you have an iPhone 4S, then I agree you probably don't need an iPhone 5. Apple upgrade cycle is every 2 years. Compared to my iPhone 4, the upgrade is worth it (and I didn't think the jump from 4 -> 4S was worth it)

I had an iPhone 4, and the upgrade to me was worth it.

They fixed the antenna issue.

They fixed the home button not working after a while issue.

It is noticeably faster.

This 4s is a keeper. If I had a 4 I would get a 5 for sure, but not now.

Also, I'm always nervous about buying an iPhone without an S in the name. I learned my lesson with the iPhone 4.