Bicycle Riders Beware

Lost in LOS

Noun

poof (poofs or (jocular) pooves)

1. (derogatory, colloquial) A male homosexual, especially one who is effeminate.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/poof

dam_n poor, wouldnt want you to look bad. opps, you posted this, too late

"Your tactics regarding playing the "Steven Seagal" role instead of just yelling for help, calling the police on your iPhone or riding away at a fast speed makes us farangs look bad"

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the hell would you want to go around wearing jewelry ? I don't even wear a watch and dress in cheap stuff.. enough falangs around in nice clothes, watches and gold chains who will make a way better target tongue.png

So DONT" wear nice" clothes when in Pattaya.

Well I am sorry to hear of your problems....me...well I ride a fairly expensive mountain bike every day, but lets be honest..Thais in general are definetly not interested in robbing you of your bike!!! What can they do with it? Thais dont even want to ride a bike?

As to danger...well nearly every road in Thailand has a Mom and pop shop or indeed a 7-11, surely if you felt in danger you would go into them or even a house front?

You could always wave down a bike with sidecar and they will happily take you anywhere safer if you felt in danger with your ike for 100 baht+-.

Still perhaps I have been lucky, I have never seen a Thai look at me twice on my bike.

Perhaps you are going to isolated areas too much?

Good luck!

Edited by Pdavies99

Now if you sold the gold chain ,you could afford more than just a bike to get around.biggrin.png

i know LostinLos personally and my best guess is that you'd be a much happier man if you owned a fraction of what he owns whistling.gif

Aloha

I'm also, a good friend of Lost in Los, Not a man to mess with, the Thai boys were damm lucky, he was bare foot on rocks and didn't get a hold of the pipe boy.

He is a kind, good heart-ed, gentlemen, unless push comes too shove.

Keep on bike-en Bro, maybe a golf-club Velcro-ed to your bike for that long shot...

Well I am sorry to hear of your problems....me...well I ride a fairly expensive mountain bike every day, but lets be honest..Thais in general are definetly not interested in robbing you of your bike!!! What can they do with it? Thais dont even want to ride a bike?

As to danger...well nearly every road in Thailand has a Mom and pop shop or indeed a 7-11, surely if you felt in danger you would go into them or even a house front?

You could always wave down a bike with sidecar and they will happily take you anywhere safer if you felt in danger with your ike for 100 baht+-.

Still perhaps I have been lucky, I have never seen a Thai look at me twice on my bike.

Perhaps you are going to isolated areas too much?

Good luck!

Where this happened is very desolate. No businesses, no houses, nothing. I ride my scooter around there quite a bit. I'll keep my eyes open from now on.

Sounds to me like you have a death wish. I find your actions not only provocative but very dangerous and stupid to be blunt.

This is the kind of thing/person that the BIB do NOT want around here. Riding your "expensive" bike around with a gold chain and an iPhone on your belt is just asking for it.

It's great to have a nice gold chain on back in your home country maybe but everyone here knows that Pattaya is NOT the place to flaunt your riches nor is anywhere in Thailand.

Your tactics regarding playing the "Steven Seagal" role instead of just yelling for help, calling the police on your iPhone or riding away at a fast speed makes us farangs look bad.

The only thing that looks bad, is your post, you assume to much ass-u-me.

shocking what happened and I just cannot believe some of the posters on here with the 'you make yourself a target' posts....quite disgusting really!

OP I applaud your actions and the way you have conducted yourself thumbsup.gif

Yo

One prepares for the worst, hopes for the best, hopping that it falls somewhere in the middle, also being aware of the worst, which means being somewhat in tune, of what one, will do, be it run, fight, scream or just beat the shit out of them, when the goin gets tough the tough get goin, run if you can or fight, cha,cha,cha or make sure your lady or lady-boy has the wherewithal's to kick ass, If you think you can't or, never walk or ride on the wild side, sad but true...

Well, i bought quite a decent collapsible baton on the sunday market,

it never showed any sign of breaking apart.

I also suggest take good time figure out how to make it a quickdraw,

the one i had had a holster too long and tight, so i cut it down quite a bit,

and then i added a velcro that i could flick open with my thumb.

And why not have it on your belt ?

I was thinking of taking a look at Huay Yai for housing, but Thai wife tells me that a lot of problems with gangs/theft in the Huay Yai area

I've lived in Huay Yai for ten years. I seldom even bother locking the gate when we go out - the thefts are confined to a few of the farang estates, so in that regard its no better (and certainly no worse) than Pattaya.

believe me, I tried to get out of there the first three times, I only want ot ride my bike for exericse and not bother anyone. I wasnt dressed for combat with shorts and tshirt and flip flops. Where I got caught was out in the open on the new road and never thought they had the balls to come after me there, too open. I didnt include yabba in my calcultation or the loss of face for me outsmarting them 3X. My bad. As for running away, where, there are no houses, no stands, nothing except a really long sidewalk that is being built. As for the guy who said he rode a long time and no problems. I rode that route for 2 years, and untill that day I had none either. Dont blame the victim boys

The really sad part is my bicycle rides are now only 4K and I am consatntly looking over my shoulder, even in the busy beach road.

• Like 1

believe me, I tried to get out of there the first three times, I only want ot ride my bike for exericse and not bother anyone. I wasnt dressed for combat with shorts and tshirt and flip flops. Where I got caught was out in the open on the new road and never thought they had the balls to come after me there, too open. I didnt include yabba in my calcultation or the loss of face for me outsmarting them 3X. My bad. As for running away, where, there are no houses, no stands, nothing except a really long sidewalk that is being built. As for the guy who said he rode a long time and no problems. I rode that route for 2 years, and untill that day I had none either. Dont blame the victim boys

The really sad part is my bicycle rides are now only 4K and I am consatntly looking over my shoulder, even in the busy beach road.

Knowing you my brother, you will keep on truckin, maybe a different trail or path, It would take a lot more then this bad experience to put you on the porch, unlike many, that retire here, your staying fit and you also contribute often to the less fortunate, Kapun Krup for being you...

(3) How exactly does one defend against a pipe attack?

Move in. The closer you are to the opponent the less use he can make of the weapon.

No offence, raro, but that only applies against one attacker - if there are two attackers, then by moving closer to one you will always end up with your back to the other. It also only applies to an attacker with a long pipe; if its one attacker with a short pipe (or two short pipes, as here) the closer you get the easier it is for him to give you a tap on the skull. Its called space awareness, it takes a lot of constant training and is (or more accurately was, as I haven't practiced or taught it for 20 years and consequently would now be as useless at it as anyone else) my field.

I don't want to get involved in the argument about who's macho or not, who should have done what, who's got the best belt, the most expertise, etc, but I can say categorically that unless one is both extremely lucky and very well trained if you think that two men are waiting to attack you the best thing to do is to turn around and to get away as quickly as you can, any way that you can. However well trained or fast you are you can't outfight or outrun a bullet (particularly if you're wearing flip-flops).

The idea that a plastic knuckle duster can give you any sort of protection against a knife or a metal pipe is actually dangerous as it gives you a false sense of security - these are offensive tools, totally useless as defensive tools; the same goes for collapsible batons. Pepper spray is useful as you don't need any training or expertise to use it and it can be used at a distance (two or three metres) and although it may have a reduced incapacitating effect against someone who is on PCP, etc, its blinding and choking effect is consistent; possessing and carrying it is legal in Thailand, and it can be used legally for self defense.

Sound advice and yes, moving in is indeed the way to go for single attackers with a long weapon. As I said, there is more to it, but after a couple of years of training you'll be able to pick the correct response technique.

And yes,walking away from a fight is the best way not to loose it. But this didn't seem to be possible for the OP in this situation.

sent from my Android phone

In Samui, and probably other places, they run into you with their bike usually from the rear so that you fall off backward onto the cement. If you are out of it they strip you bare and if you are conscious they threaten you and then rob you.

I was driving my motorcycle at 4:30 am to the airport to catch a 6:00 am flight to Bangkok. I was on a long straight away (main road) with nobody on the road when I heard a bike coming at me from the rear. He could have gone anywhere since no vehicles were on either side of the road but he rammed into me causing me to fall backward and land on my head. Luckily I had on a helmet but I was a bit dazed. He came up to me like he was going to attack me but probably decided I was not worth the trouble and took off. Of course this could have been a normal accident but who can tell. I ended up with minor scratches on me and the bike so I didn't bother calling the police and reporting his plate number. I would have missed my flight and probably been charged with the accident, anyway.

(3) How exactly does one defend against a pipe attack?

Move in. The closer you are to the opponent the less use he can make of the weapon.

No offence, raro, but that only applies against one attacker - if there are two attackers, then by moving closer to one you will always end up with your back to the other. It also only applies to an attacker with a long pipe; if its one attacker with a short pipe (or two short pipes, as here) the closer you get the easier it is for him to give you a tap on the skull. Its called space awareness, it takes a lot of constant training and is (or more accurately was, as I haven't practiced or taught it for 20 years and consequently would now be as useless at it as anyone else) my field.

I don't want to get involved in the argument about who's macho or not, who should have done what, who's got the best belt, the most expertise, etc, but I can say categorically that unless one is both extremely lucky and very well trained if you think that two men are waiting to attack you the best thing to do is to turn around and to get away as quickly as you can, any way that you can. However well trained or fast you are you can't outfight or outrun a bullet (particularly if you're wearing flip-flops).

The idea that a plastic knuckle duster can give you any sort of protection against a knife or a metal pipe is actually dangerous as it gives you a false sense of security - these are offensive tools, totally useless as defensive tools; the same goes for collapsible batons. Pepper spray is useful as you don't need any training or expertise to use it and it can be used at a distance (two or three metres) and although it may have a reduced incapacitating effect against someone who is on PCP, etc, its blinding and choking effect is consistent; possessing and carrying it is legal in Thailand, and it can be used legally for self defense.

where can I get pepper spray in samui?

I noticed a motorbike taxi corner second and 13/4 had a couple of bars stashed on his bike, maybe for protection rather then robbing farang but hadnt noticed people carrying them before

thanks, I will go and take a look. Where exactly on the soi?

right on the corner, he had a kind of bracket in front of his left knee that held them, I guess they were about 60cm x 20mm metal pipe

Shaken, but not stirred. I guess my reference will be missed by some, but they allow you to keep your distance, yet be very accurate.

The most important thing is that you get away. Sometimes in order to do so, you have to run away and sometimes you have to stand and fight.

One thing that you shouldn't do is listen to the comments of some of the 'people' here who would slink away if a dog barked loudly at them.

I'm sure that if you were more suitably prepared, we would be here reading about some ne'erdowell claiming for injuries inflicted by you running him over with your bicycle.

If you have the funds that Naam suggests, why are you looking over your shoulder? They should be looking over theirs.

believe me, I tried to get out of there the first three times,....Dont blame the victim boys ...

My post wasn't aimed at you so much as those who may be tempted to emulate you or who may think that reading up on self-defence, looking at a few videos on u-tube or carrying a couple of bits of plastic or some shuriken makes them any safer. As I am sure you and anyone who has been genuinely involved in this field knows all too well, a little knowledge (or a little equipment) can be far more dangerous than none at all as it tends to make people over-confident and inclined to take more risks.

My comment was no more than advice to avoid trouble if you can - the Pattaya Walts can take it or leave it.

No idea where to get pepper spray in Samui, I'm afraid. In Pattaya it's readily available, even at the pharmacy counter in Foodland.

What an alarming story - congratulations to the OP for successfully outwitting these scum.

So, as this topic has been moved to the Pattaya forum, are we to infer that this is a problem confined to Pattaya? As I cycle elsewhere, I certainly hope so. I carry a collapsible baton in a holster on my bike as a deterrent against aggressive dogs; it never occurred to me that I might have to use it against humans.

good idea that collapsable baton,

Gonna copy you on that one...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

not cheap but looks like it wont fall apart like the thai market ones and they will ship to thailand. Just ordered

http://www.amazon.co...words=asp baton

I can attach it to the bike using the pump holder, looks about right

I am going to buy the best pepper spray I can find here, for the non windy days.

safe than sorry

If you've got the cash why not invest in a top quality stationary bike... an imported LifeCycle perhaps? There's just too much to worry about out there. More of a concern than getting robbed/beaten up is having an accident...all just to try and get fit. You can get fitter on a high tech stationary bike than riding around polluted, dangerous streets. You came out the hero this time, but don't push your luck. Next time they may have a gun or be more skilled with their weapons.

A fellow gym member got robbed at gunpoint coming to the gym one morning from the dark side - heading to Tony's. A car side swiped his motorbike to knock him down and when he was down (with a broken back) pointed a gun to his head. He ended up spending 6 weeks at the hospital. This was pretty sad because the victim was an extremely dedicated gym goer and at his age he'll never recover from his injury.

Edited by tropo

For you boys that said I should have run, or called out to someone, or gone into a store to hide, here are a couple of pics about where it happened. Not really sure of the location but real close to here. Where would you have liked me to go??

post-24771-0-89967800-1346982539_thumb.jpost-24771-0-43123300-1346982557_thumb.j

I took my motorbike this morning since the doc yelled at me for riding my bicycle and took these pics

I went to the hospital yesterday to see a surgen. I can walk but it really hurts and I look pretty funny doing it. My three open wounds are not healing even though I am taking care and eating lots of antiboiotics, and its been a week. He said there is a lot of internal bleeding, and pressure inside my leg and thats why the wounds are not healing. He wanted me to spend the night for observation but I said no. He made me promise to stay in then, which I did. I didnt take a shower for two days now trying to keep it dry and will take the bandages off this morning, hopefully it will have started to scab and not just leak.

The sad part is, I wasnt scared in the least during this whole thing, except when he got the initial strike to my leg. But now, even riding my bike down beach road I am scared, constantly looking in my mirror, dangerous thing to do

I think this boy probabley belonged to a gang, and when his friends find out I won the last four rounds and he loses face, he may try again, even if it is right in the open in front of everyone. Oh well.

Edited by Lost in LOS

What an alarming story - congratulations to the OP for successfully outwitting these scum.

So, as this topic has been moved to the Pattaya forum, are we to infer that this is a problem confined to Pattaya? As I cycle elsewhere, I certainly hope so. I carry a collapsible baton in a holster on my bike as a deterrent against aggressive dogs; it never occurred to me that I might have to use it against humans.

good idea that collapsable baton,

Gonna copy you on that one...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

not cheap but looks like it wont fall apart like the thai market ones and they will ship to thailand. Just ordered

http://www.amazon.co...words=asp baton

I can attach it to the bike using the pump holder, looks about right

I am going to buy the best pepper spray I can find here, for the non windy days.

safe than sorry

If you've got the cash why not invest in a top quality stationary bike... an imported LifeCycle perhaps? There's just too much to worry about out there. More of a concern than getting robbed/beaten up is having an accident...all just to try and get fit. You can get fitter on a high tech stationary bike than riding around polluted, dangerous streets. You came out the hero this time, but don't push your luck. Next time they may have a gun or be more skilled with their weapons.

A fellow gym member got robbed at gunpoint coming to the gym one morning from the dark side - heading to Tony's. A car side swiped his motorbike to knock him down and when he was down (with a broken back) pointed a gun to his head. He ended up spending 6 weeks at the hospital. This was pretty sad because the victim was an extremely dedicated gym goer and at his age he'll never recover from his injury.

I can't speak for Lost in LOS, but people who love to cycle like my dad usually hate indoor cycling as it is much more boring and there is nothing to see. For them it usually isn't just exercise its relaxation too.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like you have a death wish. I find your actions not only provocative but very dangerous and stupid to be blunt.

This is the kind of thing/person that the BIB do NOT want around here. Riding your "expensive" bike around with a gold chain and an iPhone on your belt is just asking for it.

It's great to have a nice gold chain on back in your home country maybe but everyone here knows that Pattaya is NOT the place to flaunt your riches nor is anywhere in Thailand.

Your tactics regarding playing the "Steven Seagal" role instead of just yelling for help, calling the police on your iPhone or riding away at a fast speed makes us farangs look bad.

well thanks for being blunt. The man was trying to kill me, in a yaba rage, since I tricked him 3X [while cars and motorbikes were riding by] and I defended myself. What did you want me to do, bozo, stand there and let him hit me?? I wouldnt be able to post this then

as or having nice things, yep have a nice phone, yep have a nice bicycle, yep have a wallet with money in it, yep have a gold chain. All under my clothes, the only thing showing was my bicycle, and since I ride 18 to 20 kilometers daily it is a good one. What farang doesnt have nice things and money on his person, or at the very least the thais will think that.

I guuess, according to you I should stay at home in case a criminal thinks I may be concealing valubles. Not gonna happen dude.

Now, maybe advice would have been dont ride on back roads, where this all started, but I am nervous about cars hitting me. I have to start riding in high traffice areas now, something I am not looking forward to.

by the way, in answer to someone elses post, this happened last thurday about 9 in the morning. I posted on another site. My friend that cleans up the beach saw me and told me I should also post it on here as a warning to others that ride the same area, so I copied and pasted it this morning

you took a huge chance dude. Yah, you defended yourself this time. Maybe the next time they pop a 9MM cap in your ass....think about that! You should have just "avoided" them at all costs....stay on the main road and leave them alone. You might not be so fortunate next time.

Lost in LOS, as you obviously enjoy your cycling why don't you consider changing your route?

I see cyclists most mornings around Mapbrachan Lake and never seen any having any form of problems, in fact a few of my friends cycle around there. Nice scenery, roads aren't too busy, pleanty of expats living in the area and commuting to work, golf, etc, in the mornings, ample shops and resto's should you feel the need for some refreshments too.

Granted it sounds like you would have to cross Sukhumvit and down Soi Siam Country Club or one of the others, but if you have a car you could easily drive over, park up, and still have a nice ride out on the bike.

Just a thought.

I can't speak for Lost in LOS, but people who love to cycle like my dad usually hate indoor cycling as it is much more boring and there is nothing to see. For them it usually isn't just exercise its relaxation too.

Nice cycle paths and roads in The Netherlands vs pot holes, loose sand, pollution, aggressive drivers, extreme heat in Pattaya. I wouldn't even think about riding a bicycle here and that's without even considering the criminal element. I couldn't think of a less relaxing activity.

Cyclists in Pattaya are the bravest of the brave.

Edited by tropo