Didier Drogba...? Going Free...!

redrus

I heard a rumour that he's still floating about, seriously, as much as I'm not a fan of the lad he's a seriously effective striker that, tbh, I wouldn't of minded at OT for a season or two, had we not signed RvP....!!!

I thought he was off to China..?

I can find nothing online about him recently and, nothing that says he's signed for anyone anyway....?

redrus

Signed for Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua some time ago .Nicholas Anelka is a teammate.They didnt do it for the money ,sigh !

waste of talent. Some of these Chinese clubs are not financially sound.Expect him to move on shortly.

Do you guys not use Google?

He's in China with Anelka at their Shanghai team. There is some super-rich guy who's having a disagreement with the other owning entities, which happen to be government-owned entities. He's saying he was promised greater control over the club due to certain agreements and it's not happening at the moment and since he apparently pays the salaries he's threatening to not pay as much as he has been, which could affect Drogba and Anelka's huge salaries.

The assumption is they will walk if they don't receive their money in full and on time. Drogba reps are calling it rubbish and say he's staying in China.

To be continued...

• Like 1

Yep - obscene amounts of dosh are still being chucked around even in these recessionary times. Extract from Yahho Sports website:

When MLS gave a 31-year-old
a four-year contract worth a league-record $6.5 million per year in 2007, there was vigorous debate over the financial sense of such a move. Now, five years into Beckham's successful stint in the league, MLS commissioner Don Garber has revealed that an attempt was made earlier this year to obliterate that record by offering 34-year-old Didier Drogba more than $10 million a year. But, the former
striker and Ivory Coast captain turned down the offer to join China's aspiring global power Shanghai Shenhua and become one of the six highest paid players in the world.

From the
:

"We offered Didier Drogba, the great
player, over $10 million a year to play. It would have been the largest salary we ever had in Major League Soccer, and he signed (with Shanhai) for €18 million ($22.7 million) net," Garber said during the Bloomberg Sports Business Summit in New York City, without indicating which club was in line to secure the striker's services.

On Friday, New England Revolution president Brian Bilello wrote on Twitter, "Re: Drogba, we were involved with the MLS discussions earlier this year. Always interested when a player like that is potentially available."

Drogba also
worth a reported €10 million ($12.8) over two years. Had he accepted the MLS offer, he would have nearly doubled
, Thierry Henry, who is on $5.6 million (David Beckham is now the league's third highest paid player at $4 million a year since signing a new two-year contract in January).

Guess we won't be seeing him at Liverpool then! Can't say I blame him making hay while the sun shines. He doesn't have any off-field charisma that would get hin into telly and he's no rocket scientist.