Tickets To Thailand's National Parks To Be Sold By Convenience Store 7-11

webfact

In fact in the long term it would be better to make the parks free to the Thais and only charge so called farangs.

This contradicts the rest of your post about "contributing to these areas" and "a true environmental movement".

Shame really, as you had a couple of decent points aside from that trolling attempt.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact in the long term it would be better to make the parks free to the Thais and only charge so called farangs.

This contradicts the rest of your post about "contributing to these areas" and "a true environmental movement".

Shame really, as you had a couple of decent points aside from that trolling attempt.

Maybe I should explain this a bit better..........in my opinion, that may be wrong, we so called "farangs" are more aware of the environmental issues caused by deforestation etc in Thailand.

Every time I visit a nature reserve or the like anywhere in the West there is always a high emphasis on sustainability......in fact I hear it so often it can start to grate at times, however it does have the nett effect of making me aware of this type of issue.

I'm pointing out that it would be better for Thailand if more Thais were educated on environmental issues, the best place to do that is in the parks. At the end of the day it is the Thais that are paying the biggest price due to stupid land development and deforestation. The floods of last year testify to that.

Hence my point, make it free for Thais to go into the parks, as the nett effect of that should be a greater grasp of what is happening around them, and a greater preparedness to fight to save their beautiful and unique countryside.

So let's go back to what I stated.......I maintain it would be better that the Thais get free access and we so called farangs pay for entry.

That's my opinion and that's not trolling. wai.gif

I would think that buying tickets at 7-11 which is a major corporation should eliminate 2 Tier Pricing. 7-11 doesn't discriminate on any other

products in their stores, so I am guessing 2 Tier pricing should be eliminated. And one should ask about the pricing before you put your hard

money down.

Better still, ask your Thai girl friend of wife which ever the case maybe to go into 7-11 and ask about the pricing for her and for you.

And find out if their are 2 different prices.

If in fact there is a difference, the hell with it.coffee1.gif

It's a great idea........well done!!

Some of you guys need to get over yourselves, this announcement has greatly increased access to the ticketing, and the efficiency of getting the tickets. Big like......more of this please, it saves us from having to deal with shyster tour operators and the like.

Try to look for the positives for a change eh?

Yes, that's ok for you,as your a tourist,but for the ex-pats who live here with thier Thai families

Many of whom also pay Tax, we think that duel pricing is unfair. This is what I believe is behind most of The people who you think are negative are complaining about.

We absolutley have teird pricing all over the US. In Hawaii they have Kamaina price, in alot of states everything from Museums to Universities have "Resident" prices. I used to pay the "Student rate" on the Subway and to get into the Art museum free with a student ID. Get off your high horse admit your just a cheapskate. You picked up a Thai wife,thinking you could get a housemaid/sexslave for short money and now you're stuck living up to the expectations of the culture. When you adopt a new homeland you have to take the good with the bad. I would think if you have the money to send your wifes Grandparents to a decent hospital you would want to. She is a lucky lady to have a guy like you taking care of her family.

Why do I care what hospital they go to? Why should I pay their bills? I married their granddaughter NOT them. And just some info, having the farang pay for everything is not Thai culture. It is greediness not culture.

I would think that buying tickets at 7-11 which is a major corporation should eliminate 2 Tier Pricing. 7-11 doesn't discriminate on any other

products in their stores, so I am guessing 2 Tier pricing should be eliminated.

7-11 (if the plan goes ahead) will only be an intermediary. If anything it is likely that the result of all foreigners except those with work permits (even those with DL's) will have to pay the foreigner price.

Only last month an increase in price was announced - 40b to 100b for Thais - 500b for foreigners.

Of course I'm sure the 7-11 staff might charge the foreigner price to non-Asians only.

It will be interesting to see how smooth this is in operation.

I bet it's not going to be smooth at all. Will each ticket have information that the park staff have to check before entry?

I foresee the staff mafia taking 2 minutes to scrutinize each ticket thus causing massive tailbacks in order to get their money making scams back.

I don't mind the dual pricing as it occurs in many other places around the world - Hawaii has pricing for locals, tourists, military, seniors - what I do object to is the increase in prices with nothing in the park changed, or cleaned.

There is not any dual pricing to the government controlled sites such as national parks and government funded museums. The dual pricing in Hawaii is for hotel rooms, entertainment venues, ect. Not to national parks..

There is dual pricing for some Hawaii State-owned areas/parks. Residents and military (BIG military presence on Oahu) get the lower fees and there are higher fees for non-residents/tourists. There is no dual pricing for entry into U.S. federal govt areas/parks.

I don't mind the dual pricing as it occurs in many other places around the world - Hawaii has pricing for locals, tourists, military, seniors - what I do object to is the increase in prices with nothing in the park changed, or cleaned.

There is not any dual pricing to the government controlled sites such as national parks and government funded museums. The dual pricing in Hawaii is for hotel rooms, entertainment venues, ect. Not to national parks..

Hanauma Bay has dual pricing for locals/visitors. It is free for local residents.

Hanauma Bay is managed by the Honolulu Parks Dept. NOT the National Park Service. Is not considered to be a National Park or Federal property.

Hanauma Bay is charging visitors, but not charging local residents. I am a local resident in Thailand. I have paid my income taxes for more than ten years. But I get charged double in most cases at national parks. Is that because of (1) my national origin, which is not Thai, or (2) my race, which is Caucasian?

I don't know why this is so difficult to understand...

There is no double pricing in Thailand based on nationality. There is double pricing based on residence.

For the personal example, I have held three types of visas to Thailand - a tourist visa, a non-B, and a non-ED visa. With my non-B visa I would show my tax ID card and pay the Thai rate at any national park, or other government-run attraction (museums, the Grand Palace, and such). With the non-ED visa, I can show my student ID card, and it's the same. I've gone to museums and parks all over the country and have never had a single problem.

The only problem you may have is if you're here long term and are still on a tourist visa. In which case, the solution for those who hate the double pricing is simple - get off the tourist visa. Surely you have a legitimate reason to be here. Get a non-O, non-B, non-ED, whatever you qualify for... then you'll have a means of not paying the farang price. Until then, som nam na.

• Like 1

There is dual pricing for some Hawaii State-owned areas/parks. Residents and military (BIG military presence on Oahu) get the lower fees and there are higher fees for non-residents/tourists. There is no dual pricing for entry into U.S. federal govt areas/parks.

Exactly that is what this whole subject is about DUAL pricing for NATIONAL PARKS, not tuk tuks, not som Tam. National Parks.

Yes, I know. I spent 10 years in the military there. Schofield Army Barracks.

Some of you guys need to get over yourselves, this announcement has greatly increased access to the ticketing, and the efficiency of getting the tickets. Big like......more of this please, it saves us from having to deal with shyster tour operators and the like.

Yes, that's ok for you,as your a tourist,but for the ex-pats who live here with thier Thai families

Many of whom also pay Tax, we think that duel pricing is unfair. This is what I believe is behind most of The people who you think are negative are complaining about.

I just think that the amount of bad feeling it causes by making even tourists pay more causes more mess than it is worth. It leaves a bad taste in many tourists mouths when they realise that this is the case, and judging by the discussions it causes on here, probably leads to thousands not even bothering to go to the parks because they have read about the dual pricing on the internet.

Considering that 7-11 is probably using some kind of imported stock control and accounting software, it will be interesting if they can even accommodate a dual pricing model into their system.

• Like 1

...leads to thousands not even bothering to go to the parks because they have read about the dual pricing on the internet.

Considering how in touch with the reality on the ground a lot of the posters on this thread seem to be, I'd say you're spot-on there.

Edited by Leelas

If there is nobody at the park gate, I get in for free, this happens frequently at the less 'touristy' parks.

What exactly is my incentive for buying early at a 7-11, when I often have the chance to enter for nothing?

I expect that if there is someone at the gate when you leave you offer to pay as most people probably would?

There is no double pricing in Thailand based on nationality. There is double pricing based on residence.

For the personal example, I have held three types of visas to Thailand - a tourist visa, a non-B, and a non-ED visa. With my non-B visa I would show my tax ID card and pay the Thai rate at any national park, or other government-run attraction (museums, the Grand Palace, and such). With the non-ED visa, I can show my student ID card, and it's the same. I've gone to museums and parks all over the country and have never had a single problem.

The only problem you may have is if you're here long term and are still on a tourist visa. In which case, the solution for those who hate the double pricing is simple - get off the tourist visa. Surely you have a legitimate reason to be here. Get a non-O, non-B, non-ED, whatever you qualify for... then you'll have a means of not paying the farang price. Until then, som nam na.

I once visited a museum and the prices were listed as Thai and tourist. I said I wasn't a tourist and could prove it. They said it didn't matter because I was a farang, so I would have to pay the tourist price. So doesn't work everywhere.

If there is nobody at the park gate, I get in for free, this happens frequently at the less 'touristy' parks.

What exactly is my incentive for buying early at a 7-11, when I often have the chance to enter for nothing?

I expect that if there is someone at the gate when you leave you offer to pay as most people probably would?

I do the same as all the Thais do ...... what do you think that is?

Dont go to the parks. I was travelling from Khorat to kao yai but never entered since i saw and understood the dual prices written in thai letters. instead walked around to random areas around the park and ended up spontaneously invited to a nice familyhome in the middle of nowhere drinking thai whisky, eating barbecue and singing songs til late night. A day in thailand in a nutshell, from shit to paradise or the other way around, every day is an adventure!!!

Considering that 7-11 is probably using some kind of imported stock control and accounting software, it will be interesting if they can even accommodate a dual pricing model into their system.

This is very easy to do. If the can have both a 10 and 20 baht packet crisps in their stock control then they can have farang and thai tickets. They are two different products. This is how stock control works. There is also the ability to pick options e.g. red costs more. All of this is very standard. But in any case, all they have to do is add two products. Very, very simple.

Thailand is perfectly able to ask tourist to pay for a visa. The fact it doesn't probably means the authorities think it is in their interest to not charge.

Absolutely. Almost every other SEA country charges for a tourist visa on arrival or applied for.

Makes you wonder what they are scared of, as the revenue from tourists would be immense...........if they still came.

my thoughts exactly...if the thai goverment announced free bar fines at nana ,cowboy ,and pattaya tomorrow this forum would be full of guys whining about it for some reason....simply because it was announced by the thai government....geez louise is there anything that you guys who choose to live here or at least hang out on thai forums actually LIKE about Thailand???

I do the same as all the Thais do ...... what do you think that is?

That's OK then.

I once visited a museum and the prices were listed as Thai and tourist. I said I wasn't a tourist and could prove it. They said it didn't matter because I was a farang, so I would have to pay the tourist price. So doesn't work everywhere.

I'm not saying it never happens, just that it's not government policy, and that it doesn't happen often. I'd say the odds are very low if you really aren't a tourist, and reduced to just about nothing if you can speak enough Thai to argue about it, or if you have a Thai friend with you who's willing to argue on your behalf. You also have to have your ID in hand and ready to show them. The only times I've ever paid the tourist price were when I left my ID at home.

Of course, I think buying your tickets through 7-11 will remove that problem entirely.

• Like 1

All NP tickets are available at the cheaper price to foreigners if they show driving license, Work Permit or similar. Unfortunately, some staff might not like to do this, but that's down to the individual. I'd rather argue my case for having the residents price with my local 7-11 worker than a guard at the gate. It also gives you the chance to try another 7-11 if the first one doesn't know that foreigners who live here are entitled to the Thai-residents price, and you might be able to find a regular 7-11 with savvy staff who can give you the correctly priced ticket each time. All in all, should be a much better system.

By the way, I didn't see anywhere that ticket sales will be removed from the entrance gates. It could be that on-arrival tickets are still available, but purchasing from 7-11s is an alternative option.

Online purchases would be even better. That would surely see the end to dual pricing though, as how could it be enforced when buying online?

Edited by dantilley
  • Like 1

All NP tickets are available at the cheaper price to foreigners if they show driving license, Work Permit or similar. Unfortunately, some staff might not like to do this, but that's down to the individual. I'd rather argue my case for having the residents price with my local 7-11 worker than a guard at the gate. It also gives you the chance to try another 7-11 if the first one doesn't know that foreigners who live here are entitled to the Thai-residents price, and you might be able to find a regular 7-11 with savvy staff who can give you the correctly priced ticket each time. All in all, should be a much better system.

By the way, I didn't see anywhere that ticket sales will be removed from the entrance gates. It could be that on-arrival tickets are still available, but purchasing from 7-11s is an alternative option.

Online purchases would be even better. That would surely see the end to dual pricing though, as how could it be enforced when buying online?

Very easily enforceable. When you arrive at the park with a Thai ticket, they will make you buy a farang ticket instead. This is a similar issue to student and OAP tickets the world over. If you buy a cheap ticket you have to show proof that you are eligible when you turn up.

Same with 7-11. You might be able to convince them but you may still not get into the park.

This leads to another question. Do farang residents have to pay extra on the trains? When my Thai gf traveled for free the other day I had to pay for a ticket and the guard/ticket man wrote 'farang' on the ticket.

It depends on the line. A lot of the local trains in central Thailand allow Thai people to ride for free. I reckon it's the same as with the parks, though, and all other government services - if you have a Thai-issued ID card, you can probably ride for free as well.

until the double pricing is still on I have no reason to go to national park. In my country its the same price for everybody.

Plus discounts for kids and elderly people available to ALL independent of nationality ermm.gif