Tickets To Thailand's National Parks To Be Sold By Convenience Store 7-11

webfact

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very easily enforceable. When you arrive at the park with a Thai ticket, they will make you buy a farang ticket instead. This is a similar issue to student and OAP tickets the world over. If you buy a cheap ticket you have to show proof that you are eligible when you turn up.

Not really because you've already bought your (valid) ticket so you can walk in as long as you have the residents proof you used to buy it on your person. With the existing system it's possibly a bit more tricky because if the guard wants to be difficult he can refuse to sell you a ticket.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect App

There will be other ways for the park employees to extort money. Foreigners even those who pay taxes in Thailand will be told they need ten tickets instead of one to enter the park en additional costs will be levied on cars. The worst National park is Khao Yai, you easily pay there thousands of baht to enter as a foreigner. Dual pricing is a dumb thing but in Thailand it is infringing on the personal life of people and nobody who will do anything about it. The ultra nationalist yellow shirt movement must love it.

I paid 40 baht to enter Khao Yai just six weeks ago with my Thai DL.

Very easily enforceable. When you arrive at the park with a Thai ticket, they will make you buy a farang ticket instead. This is a similar issue to student and OAP tickets the world over. If you buy a cheap ticket you have to show proof that you are eligible when you turn up.

Not really because you've already bought your (valid) ticket so you can walk in as long as you have the residents proof you used to buy it on your person. With the existing system it's possibly a bit more tricky because if the guard wants to be difficult he can refuse to sell you a ticket.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect App

Your original post suggested that they couldn't enforce dual payment online, which implied that tourists could buy at the Thai rate. But they couldn't do that because they don't have any ID to show at the gate. Of course, if you have ID then that is fine. So it's the same at the gate as online. No difference.

Edited by davejones

My missus gives them an earful that I pay more tax than they would in 10 lifetimes. Never fails.

She encourages the kids to nick cakes from government coffee break refreshments in the local hotel on the basis that, daddy paid for them.

What a load of bull.

My missus gives them an earful that I pay more tax than they would in 10 lifetimes. Never fails.

She encourages the kids to nick cakes from government coffee break refreshments in the local hotel on the basis that, daddy paid for them.

What a load of bull.

Absolutely true. I take it as u please.

It's a great idea........well done!!

Some of you guys need to get over yourselves, this announcement has greatly increased access to the ticketing, and the efficiency of getting the tickets. Big like......more of this please, it saves us from having to deal with shyster tour operators and the like.

Try to look for the positives for a change eh?

Yeah like rocking up with a thai ticket and the gate keepers telling you to drive back to the nearest 7/11 to top up with the farang price.

And...instead of just buying at the gate, you now have to go find a 7/11...admittedly not hard, but you are not in Bangkok or any town centre are you if you are near a NP, and you rock into the 7/11 and then have to park and get out and line up behind all the knobs buying toasted sandwiches and paying the lecky bills etc....awesome positive change.

I don't mind the dual pricing as it occurs in many other places around the world - Hawaii has pricing for locals, tourists, military, seniors - what I do object to is the increase in prices with nothing in the park changed, or cleaned.

There is not any dual pricing to the government controlled sites such as national parks and government funded museums. The dual pricing in Hawaii is for hotel rooms, entertainment venues, ect. Not to national parks..

There is dual pricing for some Hawaii State-owned areas/parks. Residents and military (BIG military presence on Oahu) get the lower fees and there are higher fees for non-residents/tourists. There is no dual pricing for entry into U.S. federal govt areas/parks.

Yes, I know. I spent 10 years in the military there. Schofield Army Barracks.

Got you beat...I got 25 years between military and civil service at Hickam AFB. laugh.png

• Like 1

Same here. They can shove their dual pricing. It's racist in my opinion. I have never seen it done anywhere else. So while I miss natural surroundings I will not go to a single place that charges farangs more than Thais.

Online purchases would be even better. That would surely see the end to dual pricing though, as how could it be enforced when buying online?

Quite easily I imagine. Two buttons:

คนไทย: ๑๐๐

Foreigners: 500

When you get to the gate you present your ticket and they make sure you have the correct one.

• Like 1

Same here. They can shove their dual pricing. It's racist in my opinion. I have never seen it done anywhere else. So while I miss natural surroundings I will not go to a single place that charges farangs more than Thais.

You're in for a fun stay in Thailand.

Remember, farang is a highly racist term as well.

Have fun! :D

Your original post suggested that they couldn't enforce dual payment online, which implied that tourists could buy at the Thai rate. But they couldn't do that because they don't have any ID to show at the gate. Of course, if you have ID then that is fine. So it's the same at the gate as online. No difference.

Fair point, I should have phrased it differently.wai.gif

It will of course eradicate people being unfairly charged a higher rate when they're entitled to the concessional rate, so this can only be a good thing.

Edited by dantilley
  • Like 1

Farang is not a racist word, and there is nothing racist or unusual about asking people who don't pay taxes to pay extra for access to taxpayer funded attractions.

Anyone who thinks Thai people are racist should go back to their comfy European or North American homeland and compare the way their neighbors treat people of color to the way they are treated in Thailand. I can guarantee you, Thai people are among the least racist people in the world.

• Like 2

She encourages the kids to nick cakes from government coffee break refreshments in the local hotel on the basis that, daddy paid for

them.

That's a joke, surely?!

No seriously, a few years ago we were at a hotel where the constitution, court was having a week long seminar and every day at 11am, and 3 pm they would put out enough cakes to feed 500 people.

Coming back from the pool my son of about 8 grabbed a couple of cup cakes off the stand. I have I told him to put them back but my wife jokingly said in front of the waiters 'well daddy's tax paid for that, only a couple,'. All the waiters had a good giggle at the time

Laughing at the absurdity of it, I let them do it, and and so ever since, and it is the little family joke whenever such and such a ministry holds a meeting at the local hotel.

2 cupcakes on daddy's tax money for the kids if we happen to be there.

Edited by Thai at Heart

That's a joke, surely?!

No joke. Some people want their kids to grow up to be criminals.

If you can't see the irony in a couple of luk krung kids taking a couple of cup cakes from tax payer funded refreshments you are a sad man.

To see these govt meetings with the suited and booted at 5 star hotels is actually quite sickening. I find it rather instructive for my kids to understand that every government function is funded by tax, fee and that these people are not to be blindly respected because of their position.

Yingluck coming to town soon. Blueberry cheesecake or chocolate chip?

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

It's done in plenty of other places. Russia for one. Also plenty of dual pricing in UK - women free in some clubs, while men are charged GBP10-20. Also in UK you get free healthcare of you're British (or EU), but Thais would definitely have to pay. Also I recently booked a hotel via Agoda, and there was a list of countries (mostly Middle East) that didn't quality for the discount. Egypt has much more dual pricing than Thailand.

But what has it got to do with race? It's based on citizenship/residency, not race.

That's a joke, surely?!

If you can't see the irony in a couple of luk krung kids taking a couple of cup cakes from tax payer funded refreshments you are a sad man.

To see these govt meetings with the suited and booted at 5 star hotels is actually quite sickening. I find it rather instructive for my kids to understand that every government function is funded by tax, fee and that these people are not to be blindly respected because of their position.

But it's just teaching your kids to steal from people they don't respect. So if people have no respect for you they can steal from you? So a poor factory worker can teach his kids to steal from his boss, because the worker is the one that helped make the boss rich? It's just a bad attitude to teach kids.

Edited by davejones

But what has it got to do with race? It's based on citizenship/residency, not race.

At the door, Asians cheap rate, Caucasians expensive rate.

That seems like charging by race to me.

When they ask everyone to show official nationality ID to get the cheap rate, I'll be happy with dual pricing.

I have never seen this occur nor heard of it occurring. All the Koreans and Japanese have to wait in the farang line at the Grand Palace, every time. Have you actually witnessed this? On more than one occasion? Or, is this just something you read on the internet?

At the door, Asians cheap rate, Caucasians expensive rate.

That seems like charging by race to me.

When they ask everyone to show official nationality ID to get the cheap rate, I'll be happy with dual pricing.

I have never seen this occur nor heard of it occurring. All the Koreans and Japanese have to wait in the farang line at the Grand Palace, every time. Have you actually witnessed this? On more than one occasion? Or, is this just something you read on the internet?

Up North it's done by skin colour.

If you keep your mouth shut and you look Asian, in at the cheap rate no ID.

But where there are organized tour groups different rules.

Mainly because the tour guides often cheat their tours. Collect foreigner price, buy Thai price ticket.

They tried that one on me several times down South. That's what paying the guides gets you.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

It's done in plenty of other places. Russia for one. Also plenty of dual pricing in UK - women free in some clubs, while men are charged GBP10-20. Also in UK you get free healthcare of you're British (or EU), but Thais would definitely have to pay. Also I recently booked a hotel via Agoda, and there was a list of countries (mostly Middle East) that didn't quality for the discount. Egypt has much more dual pricing than Thailand.

I take it you mean women are free in some nightclubs, they do this simple to get the men in,who then pay extra, these rules do not apply in the national parks,stately homes and museums etc, unless you know differently.

I would like to inform you that I do not get free healthcare, if required in the uk,the same as many British members on this forum, however my friends Thai G/f did receive free healthcare

While on a 6 months visit to the UK.

That's a joke, surely?!

But it's just teaching your kids to steal from people they don't respect. So if people have no respect for you they can steal from you? So a poor factory worker can teach his kids to steal from his boss, because the worker is the one that helped make the boss rich? It's just a bad attitude to teach kids.

Huh? It's refreshments for a government meeting. 50 percent of it never gets consumed. It is teaching my kids that government serves the people. I pay all my taxes to the baht. It is teaching them that governments are paid for with ordinary people's taxes. It is not the government money. The government isn't my boss and if they cared one jot, and they would be accomdating themselves in a 3 star hotel, not 5 star luxury. The fact that them being there when I may be having a coffee is an unfortunate coincidence.

They should be made to stand outside and hand away for free every mouthful they can't consume themselves. Blind obedience and respect is half the problem in this country, and if the people woke up to ask why they should blindly respect the thieves and charlatans masquerading as government officials the country would probably be infinitely better off? Why aren't anyone's kids entitled to that cupcake any more than a government black suit with a sponsored camry,? I say bring it on. America has a tea party, I would love it if a street beggar marched into the conference room of the Dusit Thani and nicked a slice of cake. Thailand's cup cake party.

If I had my way I would personally take my tax money out to the countryside and build a school myself, or maybe a library. Instead, the I have to accept that 30 percent of it gets pilfered and a not insignificant amount gets spent at my local 5 star hotel, and changing absolutely zero.

Why should any of us give these people our blind respect when they act with no regard for those around them and are utterly incompetent.

One day maybe some high minded official will have a go at my kids for having a 20 baht piece of cake actually at my expense. I presume my son will say, the taxes paid for this, are u enjoying it? Did u get your fill yet? Or would you like an extra 30 percent slice?

Edited by Thai at Heart

Farang is not a racist word, and there is nothing racist or unusual about asking people who don't pay taxes to pay extra for access to taxpayer funded attractions.

Anyone who thinks Thai people are racist should go back to their comfy European or North American homeland and compare the way their neighbors treat people of color to the way they are treated in Thailand. I can guarantee you, Thai people are among the least racist people in the world.

Thats funny.

• Like 2

You lot cor blimey, why shouldn't we pay a bit more than tthe Thailand folk. Most of us are hugely better off.

Having said that I have used my Thai Driving Licence to obtain equal entry fees on one occasion and it was accepted without question.

Farangs are MOSTLY better off than the majority of the Thais, however approx( I'm guessing )

10 percent of the Thais are far richer than the majority of the Farangs, do they pay more,of course not.

Like wise on a recent visit to the UK, my Thai wife payed exactly the same as myself when visiting museums etc. Nobody asked to see our bank statements to see if we had more or less money than anybody else,every body was treated the same irrespective,of nationality,colour,race,religion.

I personally do use my Thai driving licence to obtain entry to most

Of the national parks etc, if they refuse me entry, I just quietly walk away with my family, as do most of my friends.

• Like 1