Cyclist Attacked While Riding In Jomtien

wenne

hi all cyclists

found this post ( below ) in pattaya forum today about a cyclist attacked by motorbike gang

has anyone made sim experience?

must say i cycle around pty , esp south and to sattahip etc etc maybe 8.000- 10.000 km a year etc but never heard such a story yet?

a concerned

wenne

from pattaya forum posted yesterday : Posted Yesterday, 08:58

I posted this in anohter forum, and then I thought I ought to do it here to give bicycle riders in Jomtien a heads up

So I am doing my 18 kilo bike ride today. When I am near the middle of it, on the back roads, the far end of jomtien, I saw two suspicious Thai guys on a motorcycle behind me. I did my usual evasive trick. and while watching them in the mirror, I rode closer to the center of the lane, just before they got to me I quickly turned to the curb. They had to go on by, slowed down and gave me a thumbs up and two smiles for outsmarting them. Crazy dudes. They stopped further up by a place where is it just woods just ahead. One got off and was watching me, I rode up to them, keeping slow till a car was going by, [very very few] and pulled out on the other side of the car quickly and kept riding. They were pretty pissed. I rode fast but they came up again, with a pipe out, and it did my swerve move and tricked them again. I was getting close to soi chaiyapruck and there were people now, so off they went. Instead of continuing the back roads I went from soi chaiapruk to the new second road and rode that way keeping a lookout in my mirror. I should have gone the other side on the sidewalk, but I was pissed. I was gonna quickly get up on the sidewalk where there were a bunch of large bricks [they are fixing the sidewalk]. They got smarter and rode behind a car, so I couldn't see them, and came right at me before i could move, all I could do was duck. He hit me in the leg with a big pipe, he had two, and I hit the curb, I tried to get off my bicycle but he got another one on my leg, since that was the only part open to him. I dove off the bike onto the sidewalk and rolled onto my back and waited for him, trying to appear scared. He had a crazy smile on him [the other one waited on the getaway bike] and was waving both his pipes at me, when he got close I went for his knee with a side kick. Luckily for him, he jumped back just in time. I was a few seconds too soon, but the pipes were long and I didnt want to take a chance. I got up, took off my sandals and waited for his next attack. He was surprised. I know how to defend against pipes, so I almost got one away from him. He was much more cautious, now knowing he bit off more than he was prepared for. He kept coming in but I was very close to getting him several times, and he was overly cautious but swinging both pipes like a crazy man. I called him and old women, trying to get him more crazy and make a mistake but he only fell for it for a bit and then got cautious again. I yelled to motorcycles going by but no one would stop. I then saw some cars coming, and waited for his next swing , and went around him to the center of the street and called him out. He came at me, like I knew he would, and I made sure the cars couldn't go around us, and had to stop. He wanted to keep fighting but his friend was yelling for them to get out of there. He reluctantly got on the bike and they left. I was very lucky the first strike wasn't to my head, but he underestimated me. Lucky me

The car had three girls in it, and pulled over to see if I was okay. I told them I was okay, but they wouldn't leave, and followed me for the next few kilometers while I rode the bicycle, so the idiots couldn't come back, till I got to the market. I thanked them and went on home

I know, I have a gold chain. I also have an iPhone. I also have a wallet with money. I also have an expensive bicycle. If they want money they are going after a farang, not matter what you have. They just weren't prepared for someone street smart.

wenne...

wild story, thanks for passing it along.

Any contusions or hematomas on your part?

I know we can all second guess what we would've done in such a situation.

What would you do different now with the the luxury of reflection?

Can of Mace(pepper spray)? A collapsible baton?

A hunk of chain to wield?

I've ridden the boonies between Pattaya and Sattahip and onto Rayong and Chanthaburi many times.

No acts against me. But when times get desperate, people make desperate acts.

Keep us in the loop.....

And the make and model of the motorcycle and/or its registration number would be? AND I hope you reported the incident to the B.I.B.

Take a lesson from the Dog Whisperer (i'm watching with one eye now) and don't antagonize these dogs. Frankly wearing a gold chain, and carrying your wallet whilst out on your bike might be taken as just that. Your phone though is essential if only to call she who must be obeyed to pick you up. I only ever have enough cash in my jersey pocket to get me a coke or a beer and a taxi ride home if I have a breakdown and 'er indoors is out and about.

It might have been better to find a coffee shop or a seven-eleven and sit out for fifteen minutes. Soi dogs get bored easily and disappear when there is no-one nibbling the bait.

And the make and model of the motorcycle and/or its registration number would be? AND I hope you reported the incident to the B.I.B.

Take a lesson from the Dog Whisperer (i'm watching with one eye now) and don't antagonize these dogs. Frankly wearing a gold chain, and carrying your wallet whilst out on your bike might be taken as just that. Your phone though is essential if only to call she who must be obeyed to pick you up. I only ever have enough cash in my jersey pocket to get me a coke or a beer and a taxi ride home if I have a breakdown and 'er indoors is out and about.

It might have been better to find a coffee shop or a seven-eleven and sit out for fifteen minutes. Soi dogs get bored easily and disappear when there is no-one nibbling the bait.

it was not me who was attacked !

wenne

pls follow link if you are interested in more details and responses :

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/581527-bicycle-riders-beware/

I am surprised there are not more accounts of this nature reported on TV. A single bicycle rider putting in some kilometers riding on a two tracker or paved surface in the countryside or through the paddies. It is ideal riding........smooth surface, no traffic, only an occasional 100cc wave rider passing by on their way home.

It is common knowledge that Western bike riders carry Baht (to hire a red truck in case of a breakdown); a cell phone in the event of a health problem and are very naive trusting souls. Also common knowledge that they can easily be run off the road in a desolate spot with no witnesses by cretins with robbery in mind. This is not a victim-less crime. As well an expensive bicycle is easily turned into cash in this third world environment

I ride a 7200 Trek rigged out with all the extras through the paddies from Hang Dong to San Patong to Lamphun weekly. It has become a meditation to me with cardio exercise as an added benefit. Four years ago as I was finding my way by GPS down a desolate paddy road when I noticed in my rear view a single rider motorbike behind matching my speed. Eventually he passed slowly checking me out disappearing behind a distant treeline. A kilometer further he appears again and slowly passes.

I am becoming alarmed now as I did not have a single weapon with me for defense...... not even a nail file. I turned at the next crossroad heading for a village and safety only to encounter him parked on the side of the road, smiling and signaling me to stop. Giving him a wide berth I sped on realizing he was probably a ladyboy looking for an encounter.

That occurrence taught me a lesson............never be caught in the open without a weapon for defense. I now always carry a 5" switchblade knife in a holster strapped to my seat post; a 2 foot x 3/4 " bamboo swagger stick with a 3" sharpened nail, mounted on the seat post directly in front of the rear tire and I wear a wide leather belt around my waist(under my riding shirt) with a heavy USMC buckle, edges sharpened.

I now ride with impunity...........anywhere I want. I am 72 years old and haven't lived this long just on luck. Better prepared and never have to use it than ......?

Jolly Roger

I now always carry a 5" switchblade knife in a holster strapped to my seat post; a 2 foot x 3/4 " bamboo swagger stick with a 3" sharpened nail, mounted on the seat post directly in front of the rear tire and I wear a wide leather belt around my waist(under my riding shirt) with a heavy USMC buckle, edges sharpened.

I now ride with impunity...........anywhere I want. I am 72 years old and haven't lived this long just on luck. Better prepared and never have to use it than ......?

Jolly Roger

Please read the other thread for an explanation of why thinking that your rather poor choice of self-defence weaponry gives you some sort of "impunity" is far more dangerous than riding your bicycle stark naked.

That occurrence taught me a lesson............never be caught in the open without a weapon for defense. I now always carry a 5" switchblade knife in a holster strapped to my seat post; a 2 foot x 3/4 " bamboo swagger stick with a 3" sharpened nail, mounted on the seat post directly in front of the rear tire and I wear a wide leather belt around my waist(under my riding shirt) with a heavy USMC buckle, edges sharpened.

You must be joking or be totally crazy wai.gif

• Like 1

...maybe this sounds crazy, but hear me out:

I carry a small unopened bottle of Sangsom. I got stopped by a carload of nasty looking

Tai guys once. I chatted away like a magpie and offered up the whiskey.

They smiled.

And I rode off.

Would it work again?

Dunno.

• Like 1

My friend in my village had his bike stolen [new giant road bike] used for tri's he turned off phonenix golf course rd,going out to the hiils,he sense the motorbike around him,they passed him waited at the bottom of the hill,ran out in front of him when he got close,he fell backwards as the guy came at him with a long club,they bashed his legs,[big lumps] pick the bike up and took off on the bike ,when he went back to chonburi to buy another bike the guy said this has happened before,he reported it,he said it was a fino brown,missed the number,he said he's sure they followed him through hua hai.

he's in koh samui this week doing adventure race ,so he is ok.

cat

..Cat...wow!

When did this happen? What general date?

I have ridden that route past Phoenix Golf between Sukhumvit (#3) and Hwy #331 many times.

Mostly at night, as in 2-4am.

Never during the day.

Egads...........Many kon Tai have warned me that this happens to one if they pedal up in Isaan on the back routes.

Dunno.....?

A Thai cyclist was attached in a very similar manner out near Sriracha last week, he's been in hospital most of the week but I hear is out now. His attackers approached him on a motorbike, knocked him off and then continued to beat him while he was on the floor before taking off with his bike.

..Cat...wow!

When did this happen? What general date?

I have ridden that route past Phoenix Golf between Sukhumvit (#3) and Hwy #331 many times.

Mostly at night, as in 2-4am.

Never during the day.

Egads...........Many kon Tai have warned me that this happens to one if they pedal up in Isaan on the back routes.

Dunno.....?

.... it was about a month ago,at that time of morning 2 to 4am they are probaly asleep and drunk from the money they got for the bikes,i would be.

In 9 yrs riding here the only thing that happen to me was when i got a flat near siam golf course,while fixing it a really dark skined thai came from the bush walks past me stops behind a bush 3 mts away digs a hole pulls a knife out stands there watching while i fixed the punture,,so i pulled half a brick size rock next to me,one eye on him and kept fixing it,[no one around] he just stood there staring at me with the knife in his hands,and i dont think he was there to help me...my idea was if he came at me fend him off with the wheel and hit him with the rock and hope for the best,i never took my eye of him,lucky it was front wheel,i wacked it in when fixed and took of.he may have thought i would get scared and leave ,but fuc_k him he was'nt getting my bike.

except for the snakes and running into the thai's out shooting for birds with their long muskets [when off rd] apart from that thailand has been great.

happy riding.cat

You should perhaps take up a side hobby, might I suggest cooking.

Get a small squeezy washing up liquid bottle (Bht12 from 7/11) empty the contents and strain the sauce from the attached recipe into the bottle - The top of these bottles is pretty secure so you can carry the bottle with safety in the back pockets of your cycling jersey - with a little practice you can squirt this accurately over about 7 or 8 meters.

god help you if it leaks

Does the original poster that was attacked remember the faces of the attackers?

I ask because last night police have arrested 3 thieves that have attacked and stolen bikes from fellow riders in the Chonburi/Sattahip area. A Thai cyclist is still in hospital after having been beat up and robbed of his possessions and his Bianchi 1885 road bike.

Police are still looking for the foreigner who owns the Giant road bike, so they may return him his bike and press charges on the 3 thieves. @Catwho: could this be your mate's bike?

Unfortunately for the Thai Bianchi owner, most of his bike has been disassembled and sold.

This is of course pure speculation, but bear with me.

The whole thing seems to be far too enterprising for the three neanderthals in the picture, and i find it highly unlikely that without some guidance from someone in the know, they would hardly have been aware of the actual value of these bikes let alone where to sell them.

They are probably not the only crew, and i suspect the bikes are being stolen to order for a particular ring or individual.

Seeing the market for high end cycles is fairly limited, if the police were interested it probably would not be difficult to find someone doing trade in high end bikes or quality second hand gruppos and running gear.

the fact that the bianchi has been stripped indicates the frame may well be a throw away, components are not as easily identifiable.

This is a picture of the ring leader, getting ready for a group ride somewhere in Chonburi, he's more likely to have been riding around with the group to stake out the bikes. Police have mentioned that they know who is the trader that purchases these stolen bikes and they are in the process of capturing him/her.

V12672119-15.jpg

This is a picture of the ring leader, getting ready for a group ride somewhere in Chonburi, he's more likely to have been riding around with the group to stake out the bikes. Police have mentioned that they know who is the trader that purchases these stolen bikes and they are in the process of capturing him/her.

V12672119-15.jpg

I'll go to his house and check ,get back to you ,it was happening too often to be ramdon and thanks

wow..this is all getting very interesting!

A Thai male cyclist out riding about, casing or sussing out other riders to rob!

Egads.

I thought that the perps were random acts by some druggies.

Hope the ring gets busted up....

what would be some good preventative measures to take herein on out for all of us?

Edited by burgdawg

Good to hear the owner has contacted the police. I must of course give credit to the Thai cycling community for the success in pressuring the police to work on the case. They have set up a fund to reward police for the capture of the thieves, seems to have worked!

11070.jpg

Here is the thread where they have opened up contributions for to reward in the capture of the said thieves. I live in Chiang Mai, but I put in 300 baht. Some groups have donated 10,000 for the capture. Seems the police are gonna have one nice paycheck for this capture! biggrin.png

http://www.thaimtb.c...55344&start=285

Edited by Thailandf2rally

Good to hear the owner has contacted the police. I must of course give credit to the Thai cycling community for the success in pressuring the police to work on the case. They have set up a fund to reward police for the capture of the thieves, seems to have worked!

11070.jpg

Here is the thread where they have opened up contributions for to reward in the capture of the said thieves. I live in Chiang Mai, but I put in 300 baht. Some groups have donated 10,000 for the capture. Seems the police are gonna have one nice paycheck for this capture! biggrin.png

http://www.thaimtb.c...55344&start=285

thats my frfend pointing buts thats not his bike must have done a promo shot,,he said the long haired one got away,he said a mechanic working on the ring leaders bike knew of what was going on and reported it to the cops,the reason he kept it [gaint] was to swap parts to his bike.he picks his bike up today.there were many who were attacked,including 2 french men who fought them off,there mistake was they attacked thais who as mention did a fantastic job getting the word out .,the ring leader got caught 1st then gave them up as usual,

In the 9 yrs i have lived and raced here in thailand the cycling community are the nicest and most helpfull people i have met here.

i noticed in the pattaya one link, another friend pointing,i'll see him later. i go back to oz to live in 3 weeks and will miss the off rd rides here and the way the cars give u a wide berth ,in sydney they run you off the rd ,or open their doors in front of you,you rarley see that here.

i am taking 2 mountain bukes back,but am selling my daughters kona m/bike and my gitane 7005,road bike 12 yrs old if anyone interested PM me.

have fun riding ..cat

Excellent updaters from all, many thanks!

cat...am with you!

Thai cyclists from whatever flag and nationality are some of the nicest folks on the planet.

Glad to hear that there is a war chest for the Tai police.

I prefer riding in Muang Tai, warts and all over USA cycling, which is too dangerous where I live 50% of the time.

Have a good time in Oz and don't forget Thailand!

• 3 weeks later...

Lost in LOS as well as others attacked, or threatened:

what would anyone recommend that they do different going forward from this sad state of affairs?

* Halt bicycle riding in Pattaya-Sattahip area?

* Ride with a group of 2-4 riders?

* Other measures?

I understand that any discussion involving weaponry would get banned. You could PM me though!