Do I Need A Letter From Bank If Doing A Retirement Visa With Part Pension Part Cash In Bank

The heading says it all really.

I have shortly to renew my 'O' Retirement visa and this year wish to show my 800,00B as 450k yearly pension and 350K in bank for 3 months.

I know I have to get letter from Embassy regarding confirmation of my yearly pension (which by the way they will now only confirm the amount in the currency of your country - immigration officials then do the conversation to baht at the rate they are given). But do I also require a letter from my Thai bank confirming that my account has held the relative funds for 3 months as I did last yea when only going for visa with 800k in the bank. Or will they accept bank statements? I suspect a letter is required. Can anyone confirm please.

The police order is 777/2551 and the requirement for retirement extension of stay is 60 days for first extension and 3 months for extensions after that when using 800k bank deposit. There is no such requirement for using combined method.

The police order is 777/2551 and the requirement for retirement extension of stay is 60 days for first extension and 3 months for extensions after that when using 800k bank deposit. There is no such requirement for using combined method.

Thanks to all for reply. It was just confirmation that I do need a letter from the bank to say I have the required amount in my account and that it has been there for 90 days. Now most of you are saying this is not so regarding the 90 days so is there still a need for a letter now or just a copy of my bank book on the date I go for my visa??

Combo method:

No money seasoning needed for the bank account portion

Bank letter NEEDED to match the balance of the bank account portion (in the bank book) and make it a FRESH one as well

Seasoning the money when you didn't need to season the money has nothing at all to do with the need for the bank letter. You need that letter. Period.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Combo method:

Bank letter NEEDED to match the balance of the bank account portion (in the bank book) and make it a FRESH one as well

Seasoning the money when you didn't need to season the money has nothing at all to do with the need for the bank letter. You need that letter. Period.

Thanks for your reply

Combo method:

Thanks for your reply

10 days ago Chaeng Wattana were not interested in my bank letter. A statement of income from my (UK) embassy and the bank book were all they wanted..

I think it does vary with which officer you deal with so take all the back-up paperwork you can.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your clarification. Remains the question: Which Immigration Offices do NOT understand this?

Thank you very much for your clarification. Remains the question: Which Immigration Offices do NOT understand this?

There are lots of immigration offices. You have to follow reports here and make your own reports when you experience a local variance like that. This is a forum, not the CIA.

You need the letter and the updated bank booklet, and the requested sum must have been in your A/c for the last 3 months.

for your second and further applications.

Several years ago I was not aware of the 3 months time factor and on one occasion the required time span was seven days short of the requested 3 months.

The bank balance was well above the requested sum of 800k and had also been above this prior to the 3 months, but it was 7 days short of the last 3 months and the missing sum from the 800k was 357-baht.

Due to the 7 day shortage the officer had to leave his desk to consult his superior officer, when he returned the application was completed in the usual way, and I was officially informed of the requested 3 months time factor for future applications.

Thus the 3 months are needed.

You are saying your statement of income was less than 65k and you made up the remainder with bank passbook and copy of bank letter was not retained at Chiang Watanna? Just want to be positive on this.

My statement of income was much more than 65K, I think they just wanted to see the bank passbook (usually around Thb500K) as evidence of cash flow, and they did photo-copy it themselves.

They did not want to look at or retain the bank letter.

In that case believe they will require the bank letter if using bank deposit statement is still valid. The only time bank letter would not be required is when using income only for qualification.

In addition to income qualification, I think Immigration like to see bank book evidence of cash flow that you are bringing money into Thailand on a regular basis.

Not if using a combination of income and savings.

--------

Those are the specific questions I asked on my last 90 day reportinng in July to the immigration at Chaeng Wattana.

My situation:

1. I will NOT have 800K on my renewal date (October 2012) for my current visa. It will be around 700K versus 800K.

2. My monthly pension is less than 65K monthly (about 50K at current exchange rates)

3. For reason #1 and #2 above I intend to use the combination method in October.

4. Question #1: Will that be accepatable to get me my 2nd yearly extension?

5. Question #2: Is there a seasoning time required on that bank amount using the combination method?

They sent me to one of the supervisors who reviews the applications and approves or disaproves them.

She spoke excellant English....and knew the immigration rules.

Her reply to me was....no problem.

As long as the combined yearly total is greater than 800K....we will approve it.

And there is no "seasoning time" requirement when using that combination method.

But I guess I will see that for myself when I actually try it in October...one way or the other.

rolleyes.gif

P.S. I have a backup plan...plan B....waiting in the wings anyhow....just because it's my nature to cover my bets.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Not if using a combination of income and savings.

This might or might not be the case, I don't know, because I did never use a combination of "income and savings" when applying for an annual extension, and my report outline was entirely based on bank savings, and not together with income,

There is no need to have the money in the bank for 3 months.

It just has to be there on the day you apply.

Although one or two Immigration Offices do not seem to understand this.rolleyes.gif

Which Immigration Offices do NOT understand this, please?

Hua Hin Immigration is one such location.

I renewed my Visa extension on Tuesday (September 4th) at Jomtien. My annual pension is around 550,000 baht and I transferred around 400,000 to my bank a couple of days previously. I presented my bank book, letter from the bank and letter from the consulate regarding my pension. All went through without a problem. Thus no seasoning is required (at Jomtien, anyway).

I renewed my Visa extension on Tuesday (September 4th) at Jomtien. My annual pension is around 550,000 baht and I transferred around 400,000 to my bank a couple of days previously. I presented my bank book, letter from the bank and letter from the consulate regarding my pension. All went through without a problem. Thus no seasoning is required (at Jomtien, anyway).

As expected. That is the NATIONAL rule. No money seasoning needed if using the COMBO method. Thanks for the report but it is not really news to hear that the rules are enforced as expected. If they had required seasoning, that indeed would be big news especially for a high volume office like at Jomtien.

Never the less it is always good to have new reports on everything as that is how the word is spread and we all keep current.

I agree and didn't intend to sound rude if it may have seemed that way. I am just feeling if everyone who got their extension based on totally expected enforcement standards posted here, it would be kind of a lot of noise without any great purpose. Edited by Jingthing

Khon Kaen last October asked for a two month seasoning for my 9th succesive

yearly extension. This was the first time they had asked for the bank funds to be there for

two months before the extension application date.

We'll see early next month what new hoops they have this year.

Edited by lungbing