Floods And Trees

theblether

What are the 10 most common trees in Thailand?

How much water does each species draw annually?

How many trees have been lost due to deforestation?

What is the nett effect on the flood problem? By volume or by anecdote.

Some members will have lived in Thailand long enough to have seen a difference due to deforestation.

• Like 1

Thanks cmsally.......I'm asking for a reason, I reckon there is a calculus for the water consumption of trees. I'm trying to work out how many hectacre's of forest have been lost, and by dint how much fresh water is rushing unused into the sea.

Incidentally, I haven't seen many flood reports this year.

Thanks cmsally.......I'm asking for a reason, I reckon there is a calculus for the water consumption of trees. I'm trying to work out how many hectacre's of forest have been lost, and by dint how much fresh water is rushing unused into the sea.

You can borrow my ruler if you want.

• Like 1

This year there is almost no rain, i would say, in my province, roughly 1 fourth than last year.

Last year it was above the average, this year is much less.. In my 8 yrs exp. in Trat province.

Dont worry Blether old chap, I dug a hole to catch all that water, wife in bottom for scale

post-113733-0-54121300-1346779993_thumb.

That's a very trusting wife you have there biggrin.png

What's the purpose of said hole Mr Travelmann?

I just like digging!!!

Haaaa no its a water supply for my hobby of growing palm trees but as Im down Hua Hin way its quite dry down there and wa s just planning ahead.

A month or so later it was half full and that in the dry season, I removed all greenery from the land and now any water runs straight into my hole, I expect its full by now but I havent been down there for 10 weeks.

post-113733-0-93223900-1346786496_thumb.

post-113733-0-67225000-1346786513_thumb.

• Like 2

There are no reports cos there will be no floods.

This year there is almost no rain, i would say, in my province, roughly 1 fourth than last year.

Last year it was above the average, this year is much less.. In my 8 yrs exp. in Trat province.

Over 4m over here. How much do you want? You will need to arrange transport of the clouds.

Over 4m over here. How much do you want? You will need to arrange transport of the clouds.

laugh.png Just a couple of buckets for me, thanks !

They will need much more in the rice crop areas.

One large tree can lift up to 100 gallons of water per day.

http://www.ncsu.edu/...th/treefact.htm

I thought I had picked up a figure like that previously cmsally.........that's a lot of water per tree. If you had to calculate the level of water required to keep an average forest in full foliage it would be a quite amazing figure.

@travelmann......very interesting, how many do you intend to plant? and over how many Rai?

One large tree can lift up to 100 gallons of water per day.

http://www.ncsu.edu/...th/treefact.htm

I thought I had picked up a figure like that previously cmsally.........that's a lot of water per tree. If you had to calculate the level of water required to keep an average forest in full foliage it would be a quite amazing figure.

@travelmann......very interesting, how many do you intend to plant? and over how many Rai?

Well?????????? as many as i can ( and wife allows), I have about 16 Rai overall although at least 1 rai now is hole!!.

It will be several hundred although palms come in many shapes and sizes, some are minute, others such as Metroxylon (sago palm many varieties) are massive and fast growing but die in maybe 15-20 years when flowering.

Palms are great they dont moan about anything yer just give them what they want and they reward you no end.

I grew many in the UK "Birmingham" had a great garden there photo attached for your perusal.

Low temps of around -7c in winter, yep some palms can handle this no problems.

rgds

post-113733-0-70932000-1346867793_thumb.

post-113733-0-67916600-1346867805_thumb.

post-113733-0-70694700-1346867819_thumb.

post-113733-0-10963800-1346867831_thumb.

post-113733-0-70862200-1346867842_thumb.

Looks stunning Travelmann.......where did the interest stem from? It's not a hobby one would expect from a Brummie. Fascinating smile.png

I'm away to google palm trees now.......

Are you planning to turn the Red Road into a tropical paradise TB? ..... there should be plenty of space now another block is donw!

Looks stunning Travelmann.......where did the interest stem from? It's not a hobby one would expect from a Brummie. Fascinating smile.png

Are you planning to turn the Red Road into a tropical paradise TB? ..... there should be plenty of space now another block is donw!

There's a fair few folk over there that are very familiar with Palm Trees whistling.gif ...............you know the old rule about you learn something every day? That link that cmsally sent was very interesting, and the 100 gallon fact too........however on top of that we have now discovered Travelmann's hobby......amazing stuff.

TV members truly are a varied bunch wai.gif

I was down in Baku National Park, Borneo last year......and I took this photo from one of the higher vantage points......

281794_235022269869436_1333659_n.jpg

It was a real pleasure and experience to overlook a forest in Borneo, a place that I think we can all agree has a magical connotation to it..........after a few days I took a boat trip to a Longhouse..........

262492_235420686496261_5302955_n.jpg

Stunning natural scenery........but then on the way out of the forest I ended up walking around a Palm Oil plantation.........

285407_235435183161478_2737850_n.jpg

Look how dead the soil is........this is the downside of eco-friendly fuels........they damage these guys.......

282173_232110973493899_5168136_n.jpg

however we're seeing the same thing in Thailand, but Thailand doesn't seem to have a cuddly animal to head the fight back against deforestation.......sights like these are pleasing to the eye........

401445_312104595494536_1590864837_n.jpg

More trees please!!!

• Like 2

I have absolutely NO idea where it came from although maybe in the back of everyone's mind is an escape to a different place? tropical island? whatever, Thais dream of Switzerland so Ive been told?

Palm info ips website http://www.palms.org/ Thailand in many ways is an excellent place to grow palms, Hawaii even better.

I was down in Baku National Park, Borneo last year......and I took this photo from one of the higher vantage points......

281794_235022269869436_1333659_n.jpg

It was a real pleasure and experience to overlook a forest in Borneo, a place that I think we can all agree has a magical connotation to it..........after a few days I took a boat trip to a Longhouse..........

262492_235420686496261_5302955_n.jpg

Stunning natural scenery........but then on the way out of the forest I ended up walking around a Palm Oil plantation.........

285407_235435183161478_2737850_n.jpg

Look how dead the soil is........this is the downside of eco-friendly fuels........they damage these guys.......

282173_232110973493899_5168136_n.jpg

however we're seeing the same thing in Thailand, but Thailand doesn't seem to have a cuddly animal to head the fight back against deforestation.......sights like these are pleasing to the eye........

401445_312104595494536_1590864837_n.jpg

More trees please!!!

Oil palms are BAD news really, a mono culture aint good anywhere.

A good tree you might like and the only Eucalyptus outside of Australia is the Rainbow gum, if you want some seed ( they sprout real easy and grow fast) let me know photo attached.

http://www.amusingpl...t-colorful.html

Or the pretty Licuala mapu pricey and hard to grow

post-113733-0-28276400-1346875068_thumb.

post-113733-0-39937500-1346875466_thumb.

Edited by travelmann

I have absolutely NO idea where it came from although maybe in the back of everyone's mind is an escape to a different place? tropical island? whatever, Thais dream of Switzerland so Ive been told?

Palm info ips website http://www.palms.org/ Thailand in many ways is an excellent place to grow palms, Hawaii even better.

I'll go have a look at the link...........Palm trees were a feature of my life when I was a little boy in Sierra Leone......I had many an attempt at climbing them usually met with a round of disdainful jeers when I failed. Oh well......we can't do everything well. smile.png

@travelmman.....that looks stunning. When you read the link that cmsally sent it's fascinating to see how many species have spread across South East Asia........and the diversity makes the forests all the more attractive.

The monoculture of the Oil Palms are a blight......when you fly into Malaysia and see mile after mile of plantations it would drive you to despair......then you go to a small village and the guy shows you this......

267373_235429419828721_6455806_n.jpg

A simple bit of rubber tapping......amazing.

Eucalyptus draws a high amount of water but uses it for its quick growth and therefore tends to destroy the soil quality and any ground cover plants.

A lot of these ground cover plants catch rainfall and stop top soil erosion.

http://www.nabard.org/modelbankprojects/forestry_eucalyptus.asp

The soil erosion issue is very important, once you lose it it's extraordinarily difficult to repair the damage. Hence you end up in an ever increasing circle of floods and damage.