Problem Solved!

Dustoff

~

You know the ones - the sewer-gas smells that come up into almost every house and hotel room in Thailand. :o

We identified the culprit as primarily the floor drains in the bathrooms which are straight pipes where the sewer and septic tank fumes find freedom.

I went to the local CM computer center and purchased the heaviest, thickest, softest rubber mouse pad I could find and cut two circular disks out of it. We keep them on the floor drains in our home except when we are actually showering and the odors are GONE! :D

I am also going to carry a couple of them in my laptop bag to place on the bathroom floor drains in hotels since nothing cramps my style during sex worse than the smell of sh1t (I know, I know, choose cleaner women). Also a ziplock bag (I always have some with me anyway) so I can wash the disks off then dry them in the sun when I get back home.

Brilliant, eh? :D

Mr. Humble, esq...

No need to take anything for this purpose....a wad of wet tissue paper (toilet paper) works fine....or a plastic bag with water in it closed with a rubber band (elastic).....even a condom....used or not...filled with water and tied shut would probably work although I've never tried it. The advantage of the water bag is that it will conform to irregular drain openings. Once I had to use a combination of wet tissue and a water bag.....achieved 100% effectiveness.

You know the ones - the sewer-gas smells that come up into almost every house and hotel room in Thailand. :o

We identified the culprit as primarily the floor drains in the bathrooms which are straight pipes where the sewer and septic tank fumes find freedom.

I often wondered about that. I think alot of them don't have traps fitted (u-shaped bend with water), so the fumes come back. Maybe a plumber knows for sure...

I often wondered about that. I think alot of them don't have traps fitted (u-shaped bend with water), so the fumes come back. Maybe a plumber knows for sure...

In the US they are calles p-traps and are standard building code for all types of drains to prevent those odors from creeping back into a home or office. Can't say I remember seeing too many around in LOS. Most Thai drains are usually straight to an outdoor line, often an open air conduit for a short distance. P-traps are easy to install under a sink and high rise commodes favored by most ex-pats would have one built inside. Replumbing a shower drain may not be worth the effort.

Actually they can do a shower/floor drain in about an hour - cut with tile cutting disk/chisel out/place water trap (only about an inch or two deep) and cement in. Very easy even for the less than skilled if you buy the trip and show them what to do.

In US, many years ago, remember they sold rubber round drain covers for kitchen sinks that would probably work better than mice. But have never looked for them so not sure they still sell or not.

Actually they can do a shower/floor drain in about an hour - cut with tile cutting disk/chisel out/place water trap (only about an inch or two deep) and cement in. Very easy even for the less than skilled if you buy the trip and show them what to do.

In US, many years ago, remember they sold rubber round drain covers for kitchen sinks that would probably work better than mice. But have never looked for them so not sure they still sell or not.

Exactly! It was those rubber drain covers that I unsuccessfully sought over here then came up with the mouse pads (not mice) idea.. I tried stuffing mice down the hole but after a while they smell as bad and their tails break off when you try to remove them... :D

Also considered having someone cut/disk/chisel my bathroom floor but then there is that problem of Thai workmanship and "Oh, no can find same-same tile" as the ones they just destroyed, not mention that having them come along with me to every hotel room I stay in would be a real hassle.. Unless of course they are cute men, women, whatever... :o