• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where are we on this little lot?

The Trendy is in the process of completing

The Park I can say is delayed - Although I have photos which are fab, they are a bit too personal to post here. I'm now thinking more November/December, but as I can see the situation, I am surer, especially as we will be one of the last to be physically finished.

Skytrain Makkasan terminal (near Petchaburiin station- thanks quicksilva) in progress

Athenee?

Technical term - bugger - I forgot to say how are the Manhattan and The Address doing and the Sansiri? all in the same boat.

Just went for inspection on my two units at Manhattan Chidlom. I must say the condotel is really impressive, the lobby is fit to grace any 5 star hotel lobby. There is a doorman to greet you and a 24 hr conceirge to service you. The view is fantastic too. No need to pay an arm and a leg for my purchase, price is reasonable for that area. Fantastic!

This is all staggering so many major projects coming on line within months of each other.

There are going to be a lot of happy smiling faces as the credit cards come out to furnish these places! Speaking of which I have to notify my credit card companies that the credit limits will be maxed out in Thailand wouldn't want to be deprived of the 'shop until you drop' experience :o

All this activity and interest will I'm sure act in itself as a stimulus - I hope the shops have enough stock! The wealth that is going to be taking up residence will be phenomenal.

The Park I can say is delayed - Although I have photos which are fab, they are a bit too personal to post here. I'm now thinking more November/December, but as I can see the situation, I am surer, especially as we will be one of the last to be physically finished.

Skytrain Makkasan terminal (near Petchaburiin station- thanks quicksilva) in progress

Athenee?

Technical term - bugger - I forgot to say how are the Manhattan and The Address doing and the Sansiri? all in the same boat.

Just went for inspection on my two units at Manhattan Chidlom. I must say the condotel is really impressive, the lobby is fit to grace any 5 star hotel lobby. There is a doorman to greet you and a 24 hr conceirge to service you. The view is fantastic too. No need to pay an arm and a leg for my purchase, price is reasonable for that area. Fantastic!

The Address is somewhat behind you guys. I'm not expecting completion until sometime in 2009. I think they may be excavating the underground parking areas at the moment. I hope to take a look at progress this Christmas.

Athenee?

The Address is somewhat behind you guys. I'm not expecting completion until sometime in 2009. I think they may be excavating the underground parking areas at the moment. I hope to take a look at progress this Christmas.

Hi 'scl1056' - you are no Newbie - you maintain the same identity in other forums. I am also out in Bangkok for some four weeks over this period. I will ask and try to look at the projects first hand, but may have my hands full. IMO this is staggering.

Also Condo One Siam looks to be ready by end of year or maybe January.

Or am I the only one that bought there. :o

Hi cmsally - I knew of almost nobody who had bought at The Park until recently and I did say at the time I was relieved when they said they did so.

I know of that development. It is smaller (I think in scale) but has great views, if it’s for you wow.

This link may be of interest to those in the area - thanks to 'tangoll' for pointing it out.

http://www.prakard.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=5

It covers The Park, The Trendy, The Manhatten, The Address plus dozens of others. In a way this is more from a Thai perspective so interesting in its own right.

main web site

http://www.prakard.com

And I have now seen the first apartment at The Park up for sale! (does not include my knowledge of a Penthouse that came on the market some time ago - I wonder who that belonged to...)

Though the contracts are enforced - failure to pay out means they lose out on everything invested to date (around 33% on a 30m apartment).

This link may be of interest to those in the area - thanks to 'tangoll' for pointing it out.

<a href="http://www.prakard.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=5" target="_blank">http://www.prakard.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=5</a>

It covers The Park, The Trendy, The Manhatten, The Address plus dozens of others. In a way this is more from a Thai perspective so interesting in its own right.

main web site

<a href="http://www.prakard.com" target="_blank">http://www.prakard.com</a>

And I have now seen the first apartment at The Park up for sale! (does not include my knowledge of a Penthouse that came on the market some time ago - I wonder who that belonged to...)

Though the contracts are enforced - failure to pay out means they lose out on everything invested to date (around 33% on a 30m apartment).

pkrv - there are 2 for sale ,on Pantip, at the Park

Park condo for sale

Park for sale 2

But generally there are not many advertised. Condo One Siam also seems to have not too many resales. For me I am not really a city person so it is ideal .

Prakard is a good website to see what mostly Thai buyers are doing. It is one of the best places to see potential faults in any development.

<a href="http://www.prakard.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=5" target="_blank">http://www.prakard.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=5</a>

main web site

<a href="http://www.prakard.com" target="_blank">http://www.prakard.com</a>

pkrv - there are 2 for sale ,on Pantip, at the Park

Park condo for sale

Park for sale 2

But generally there are not many advertised. Condo One Siam also seems to have not too many resales. For me I am not really a city person so it is ideal .

Prakard is a good website to see what mostly Thai buyers are doing. It is one of the best places to see potential faults in any development.

Hi cmsally (and all) - sorry way off topic (I seem to be prone to this :o ) I have also been watching other sites but a lot of material is in Thai (for example the new airport express link on the skyscraper forum). There is no option 'e.g. Google translate this page', any suggestions? (languages are very much not my stong point, though I do try my best)

Athenee Residence just told me that we can inspect in December and move in during January.

As always corkscrew - reciprocating - We have a preliminary date of the 15 November and been provided with an 'Estimate Balance of Payment at Transfer Date' which for us will need to be transferred in Sterling to the developer (see the pinned thread on transfer of money to explain this comment - I hope every one is aware of this).

We are flying out the 16th and will confirm if we need to transfer funds during our first or second trip - will let you know - it's bloody close (and for us tense) for all of us!

Edited by pkrv

Athenee Residence just told me that we can inspect in December and move in during January.

As always corkscrew - reciprocating - We have a preliminary date of the 15 November and been provided with an 'Estimate Balance of Payment at Transfer Date' which for us will need to be transferred in Sterling to the developer (see the pinned thread on transfer of money to explain this comment - I hope every one is aware of this).

We are flying out the 16th and will confirm if we need to transfer funds during our first or second trip - will let you know - it's bloody close (and for us tense) for all of us!

We don't have a firm date for either the inspection, $ transfer or move-in date. Our unit is 26D so I don't know how they work the logistics of all of this. I am just trusting in their wisdom. Do they work from floor 1 to the top or the reverse? Who knows.

When you get here give us a ring and we can meet for dinner if you like.

Are you furnishing your place on your own or are you using a service?

I think we'll use Asian Motifs...a company in BKK that works out of the Dusit Thani. I visied them and their work looks good.

All the best to you.

We don't have a firm date for either the inspection, $ transfer or move-in date. Our unit is 26D so I don't know how they work the logistics of all of this. I am just trusting in their wisdom. Do they work from floor 1 to the top or the reverse? Who knows.

When you get here give us a ring and we can meet for dinner if you like.

Are you furnishing your place on your own or are you using a service?

I think we'll use Asian Motifs...a company in BKK that works out of the Dusit Thani. I visied them and their work looks good.

All the best to you.

It is very tricky to work out - I cannot even see this from The Trendy who are ahead of us. I think (but could be wrong) that somehow The Park have worked top downwards - and I could see why (clean comes to mind) - The implication is they sell bottom upwards - it will take time and trust (BTW - I don't think you have anything to worry about on this issue), but I don't know how the mechanics really work, others need to contribute!

I think there are several of us (from all developments) who will need a breather and to relax, so I agree a drink or two/meal would be a good thing- We will/would however all find ourselves very different people - which is what life is about.

Our first stop is Asian Motifs - they cannot operate until we are 'in' so to speak, already commissioned.

Indeed, the buyers are likely from the Park Chidlom. The Park is so luxurious that they're simply making inquiry with the Athenee folks whether units are available for their maids and drivers and so forth. Many units at The Address has sold to Park tenants for such purposes. -JRK

Obviously, both are nice properties, but kidding aside the main thing that bothered me about the Park is that this area is already a parking lot. Once the Park opens more cars will be thrown into the back soi and on to soi Chidlom. The Athenee has easy access to both Wireless and Ruamrudi, a definite plus. Of course, we will have the new office building next door to contend with during rush hour as well, so it may ultimately be a wash as to how long it takes either of us to get out of our parking lots.

The Athenee told me that we would be able to move in during January. I don't know how these big projects handle the moves. Do they start at the top and go down or do they do the reverse....or do they do something entirely different?

You are right about it being convenient to have both Wireless and Ruam Rudi access.

I have noticed that a lot of the shops and restaurants on Ruam Rudi are getting a smart look about them.

Indeed, the buyers are likely from the Park Chidlom. The Park is so luxurious that they're simply making inquiry with the Athenee folks whether units are available for their maids and drivers and so forth. Many units at The Address has sold to Park tenants for such purposes. -JRK

Obviously, both are nice properties, but kidding aside the main thing that bothered me about the Park is that this area is already a parking lot. Once the Park opens more cars will be thrown into the back soi and on to soi Chidlom. The Athenee has easy access to both Wireless and Ruamrudi, a definite plus. Of course, we will have the new office building next door to contend with during rush hour as well, so it may ultimately be a wash as to how long it takes either of us to get out of our parking lots.

The Athenee told me that we would be able to move in during January. I don't know how these big projects handle the moves. Do they start at the top and go down or do they do the reverse....or do they do something entirely different?

You are right about it being convenient to have both Wireless and Ruam Rudi access.

I have noticed that a lot of the shops and restaurants on Ruam Rudi are getting a smart look about them.

r rudi soi has for many years in bkk been known as well to do soi, nothing new in seeing a few wine bars and decent restaurants in that soi, in fact it has one of my favourite bars, bachus.

I talked to them today. They explained that this month and next, their teams will be doing a very close inspection of the units. They expect defects in some of them. For the ones that have no defects or they are small, they will then ask those tennants to inspect their units to see if the small defect is acceptable to them (regardless of what floor the unit is on). If it is a larger construction defect, TCC will require it is fixed prior to asking the tennant to inspect their unit. Hence, it really depends on the condition of the unit following initial construction as to who gets asked to inspect first. For the units with no or small flaws that are inspected by TCC this month, December is likely the first month people will be asked to inspect their units. For some others, it will probably be several months hence.

I PM'ed quiksilva regarding the population of a condo and have included his response (with his permission) and my original query to him - PKRV

Response:

"No problem PKRV,

If the inspections you are referring to are related to the BMA etc then these will be to ensure that the finished product meets building regulations and there is not too much variations from the plans that were submitted. Once the building passes these they will be able to get the occupation permit, which allows you to go to the next phase, transfer.

If the developer is smart they will sell from the bottom up, so they get rid of these hard to sell units first.

Handover inspections are essential and should not be overlooked. I appreciate that it can be frustrating but its far better to spend some time on this make sure that you get the product that they promised to deliver.

Not sure if this helps? Let me know if you need me to shed any more light on the process.

Cheers

quiksila"

original question:

"Hi quiksilva - I do apologise for the intrusion, I hope you don't mind. I know you are aware of the projects completing but one question keeps coming up but no satisfactory answer is forth coming (Both explored on The Trendy and All major projects threads).

When condos complete they seem to go through an inspection process, that can cause delays, and I guess individuals can jump up and down to get in. However when completed do Condos generally sell from bottom up or top down or some other way? - we are all confused.

Thanks in advance for any help - PKRV"

We do have a tangible update on The Park. We are invited to view the gardens, swimming pool, tennis court, communal areas etc. on the 19th November. A pre-inspection of our unit will be on the 29th November. Will let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to them today. They explained that this month and next, their teams will be doing a very close inspection of the units. They expect defects in some of them. For the ones that have no defects or they are small, they will then ask those tennants to inspect their units to see if the small defect is acceptable to them (regardless of what floor the unit is on). If it is a larger construction defect, TCC will require it is fixed prior to asking the tennant to inspect their unit. Hence, it really depends on the condition of the unit following initial construction as to who gets asked to inspect first. For the units with no or small flaws that are inspected by TCC this month, December is likely the first month people will be asked to inspect their units. For some others, it will probably be several months hence.

Have you heard anymore news about The Athenee Residence?

• 2 weeks later...

We have now received a formal request to inspect my low level unit at The Park, between 20th December and 19th January with transfer 7 days later (I am looking to see if I can reduce this time). Three units have already transferred but I suspect simply because there is a high level of customisation required for things like the penthouses, and you cannot do this before transfer takes place. Transfers should begin in a steady flow after this time.

There is a sort of movie on the progress at:

http://www.theparkresidence.co.th/construction.htm

We did a pre-inspection and all was as anticipated, everything from copious amounts of power points, phone and TV outlets through to the views we anticipated. I can breathe easy once again!

One interesting point is that the pedestrian pavement outside of The Park is being re-laid and indeed upgraded by the developer. Apparently the overhead power/phone cables etc will be move underground in the near future - for the whole street - so this affects The Address as well. We should see the paths in the whole area improving immensely. Now that's a new and unexpected turn of events :D

Stolen from greenside's post on 650k Condos - so usefull I have printed it out and will use the relevent bits (I added point 0.). Obviously no minutes from the AGM yet :o

0. Check you are getting the on-shore rate for your foreign currency transfer.

1. Get the minutes of the AGMs AND the Minutes of the Committee Meetings.

2. Read The Condo Act; read the Condo Regulations which is a legal document deposited with the Land Office

3. The Condo Association will also have records of what percentage of units are foreign owned. DON'T get stuck with a unit owned by a bogus Thai company.

4. Does the Committee meet as specified in the Regulations?

5. Are the Committee Members approachable and helpful?

6. Speak with as many non-committee member residents as possible

7. Meet the Manager. If he/she won't answer questions and says go speak with the Committee then do so.

8. If Committee says go speak with manager then unless you really like the building and would like to fight all this kind of nonsense at the AGM and during the year, go find somewhere else to buy.

9. Ask for the AUDITED financials; ask for monthly financial statements - they are common property and some good condos put up on notice board for all to peruse. Other condos are/may be secretive. If so, why?

10. Ask about major maintenance projects - sewage and drainage, water and filtration, roof, roads, gardens, painting of outside of building and corridors, elevators.

11. Have the projects planned for the previous year been completed OK? How about any work in progress?

12. Check the basement for damp.

13. Is there a Sinking Fund? Is it sufficient?

14. Is Insurance Coverage enough?

15. What are the yearly maintenance fees? What percentage of co-owners do not pay.

16. Are smoke alarms installed in common areas? In individual units? Are they checked and monitored and/or connected to the fire service?

17. Is there a sprinkler system?

18. Walk the emergency stairwells - what kind of lighting? Does it work? Are the stairwells clear and clean?

19. Check that fire fighting equipment is available and periodically maintained (there should be a record of costs associated with this so you don't just have to take someone's word for it)

20. Check that security personnel are smart, courteous and at their stations.

21. Is there 24 hour coverage by English speaking staff?

22. Does the office staff have name badges?

23. Is the building secure or can anyone just walk in and go where they please?

24. Is the perimeter secure?

25. Is there CCTV and does it work?

26. Are there recordings and how long are they kept?

27. If there is a key card system how often is it changed? How many key cards have been issued? How many are unaccounted for?

28. Try to find out how many burglaries in past 2 years.

29. Are the grounds neat and tidy?

30. Is the garbage room clean and tidy? How often is garbage collected?

31. Availability of (IDD) telephone (data) lines and the cost of same (some condos charge a criminal amount to get a IDD line).

32. Availability of cable TV choice and options for putting up own satellite dish(es).

33. Cost of metered services – water and electricity if supplied by building and cost of changing to own meters.

34. What facilities (residents' lounge, exercise room, etc.) are available and are they in use and good repair? Swimming pool? Tennis court? Is there a charge?

35. Are facilities open to non-residents? This can lead to an increased security risk and different atmosphere with strangers coming and going frequently. Is additional wear and tear on the facilities covered by the charges to non-residents or does the management pocket the takings?

36. Are there karaoke bars or other noisy places nearby? How often? How loud? How late?

37. If there is a view is there the possibility it could be blocked in the future?

38. Check basement rooms for trash, evidence of staff (and their friends) staying there.

39. Parking spaces are common property and should not be allocated.

40. How long to wait for an elevator during high season?

41. How many units are currently unoccupied?

42. How many units are currently offered for sale or rent? Check other prices.

43. Make sure most if not all the units in the building are occupied by the owners.

44. If the management offers to rent condo's on the owners' behalf, how much do they charge and exactly what service is on offer?

Edited by pkrv

• 4 weeks later...
I already inspected my unit at Athenee on the 16 Nov. but they set the transfer date sometime in Jan. 2008.

It looked very good and am very happy with it.

Athenee mailed the plan layout but I have not yet been given an inspection date. Have you received any more news?

I have actually inspected and transferred at The Park, however it is not quite as clear cut as that -there has been considerable flexibility and reasonable/friendly compromise by both parties.

1st Inspection was to have been on the 24th December but the holiday caused a reschedule to Christmas day, not a problem. The Park were being very flexible with us on transfer, for example the common areas (pool, gym, lifts. reception etc) are not yet operating/finished but understand that we have limited time to do what we need to achieve.

In return we acted as a sort of guinea pig for the inspection process. There was nothing major wrong however there were a whole host of minor issues that needed to be addressed. At first I was sceptical that these could be fixed by the Friday (28th) but come the second inspection all was in order, I think they worked 24 hours per day to achieve this!

How we went about this process and indeed our suggestions were quickly taken on board and digested. Things should go more smoothly for those that follow.

Transfer took place before the second inspection took place and was a very smooth process.

I would anticipate mid next year for all work to fully complete. Yes you can transfer and there is a juristic/building manager and assistant in place but unless you have interior work you wished done (e.g. built in wardrobes) and can wait, I would hang on. We needed the time from this year's holiday entitlement to advance our unit for our full use next year.

BTW the unit exceeded all expectations, we are thrilled and cannot wait until The Park is fully up and running. David Nardone the CEO of Hemaraj handed over the keys in a small ceremony and spent some time chatting to us about the project.

Just as a foot note I also managed to open a Bangkok Bank passbook savings account at the main branch with a tourist visa - see here if you wish to know more:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...25#entry1735189

Edited by pkrv

I have actually inspected and transferred at The Park, however it is not quite as clear cut as that -there has been considerable flexibility and reasonable/friendly compromise by both parties.

1st Inspection was to have been on the 24th December but the holiday caused a reschedule to Christmas day, not a problem. The Park were being very flexible with us on transfer, for example the common areas (pool, gym, lifts. reception etc) are not yet operating/finished but understand that we have limited time to do what we need to achieve.

In return we acted as a sort of guinea pig for the inspection process. There was nothing major wrong however there were a whole host of minor issues that needed to be addressed. At first I was sceptical that these could be fixed by the Friday (28th) but come the second inspection all was in order, I think they worked 24 hours per day to achieve this!

How we went about this process and indeed our suggestions were quickly taken on board and digested. Things should go more smoothly for those that follow.

Transfer took place before the second inspection took place and was a very smooth process.

I would anticipate mid next year for all work to fully complete. Yes you can transfer and there is a juristic/building manager and assistant in place but unless you have interior work you wished done (e.g. built in wardrobes) and can wait, I would hang on. We needed the time from this year's holiday entitlement to advance our unit for our full use next year.

BTW the unit exceeded all expectations, we are thrilled and cannot wait until The Park is fully up and running. David Nardone the CEO of Hemaraj handed over the keys in a small ceremony and spent some time chatting to us about the project.

Just as a foot note I also managed to open a Bangkok Bank passbook savings account at the main branch with a tourist visa - see here if you wish to know more:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...25#entry1735189

Nardone is a class act even if he is a Red Sox fan. These are good people I am sure you will have a great experience. Let us know when the open house is.

Thanks Old Man River and sorry the formatting on my last post went to pot - I put it down to jet lag :o .

I can clearly see the Athenee from my unit - it looks very, very advanced, almost complete.

Here are some pictures of what The Park produced it is quite incredible. Fab kitchen and bathrooms, energy light bulbs in the ceilings and the windows cut out ALL external sound they are amazing.

post-16669-1199100357_thumb.jpg

post-16669-1199100384_thumb.jpg

post-16669-1199100412_thumb.jpg

post-16669-1199100448_thumb.jpg

post-16669-1199100475_thumb.jpg

post-16669-1199100504_thumb.jpg

post-16669-1199100524_thumb.jpg

Edited by pkrv

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a unit at the park in 2005. I have a condo on soi langsuan so it was easy to see construction progress. I was not impressed at all. When they notified me of an inspection to allow transfer I took my manager and an independant agent in to inspect the unit. I could not believe they were ready to allow inspections as I could not see enough workers around as I was walking by. Well when I was shown the unit the floors were not even started yet. There was no way this unit was ready for transfer. I am not happy with this project at all. If anyone gets to use the lobby in 2008 I will be very surprised. I don't think I will have to transfer untill Late 2008, if at all. Walking away from a 30% deposit upsets me, so I won't upgrade my BMW for a few more years, but I think us farangs are being taken for a ride with this developer.