Gyms In Bangkok?

HalfSquat

The days of the fairly inexpensive gym that Cali Fitness offered are over, IMO. The only other gyms I would consider that are good quality (as in keeping their equipment in good repair) and not overly crowded (Cali Fitness at Siam Paragon is awful in that regard) are True Fitness and Fitness First. Their memberships are not cheap, but you'll get a decent experience.

If anyone knows of others I am missing, I am all ears as is OP.

"I seriously don't understand why there's always some tool who can't accept that some people like to go to a gym for the range of equipment, free weights and machines that won't fit into a square meter.'

Boy, you got that right!

I've heard, but not yet checked out, that some of the major hotels will sell you an annual membership. When staying at the J.W. Marriott, a thai business man said he pays $110 per month.

Good luck getting some productive inputs.

Burbridge; hit the nail on the head.

All it takes is broccoli instead of chips or diet coke instead of a few pints.

Change of diet is required, not a fancy gym.

Ok so you want a good gym? you have lost the weight? best to buy a bar some free weights and screw a subscription.

Much is the gym? 2000 a month? 24,000 a year?

Makes sense to do the above as you only want to bulk!!!!!!

Why are people so judgemental, and unable to understand that SOME people go to a gym: (1) not to lose weight, (2) not to bulk up, (3) for social interaction (make friends and establish relationships), and (4) for group exercise classes/sessions and a wider range of fitness equipment?

If a guy as the money, why object to how he spends it?

Why are people so judgemental, and unable to understand that SOME people go to a gym: (1) not to lose weight, (2) not to bulk up, (3) for social interaction (make friends and establish relationships), and (4) for group exercise classes/sessions and a wider range of fitness equipment?

If a guy as the money, why object to how he spends it?

Not objecting, could be spent on wiser things.

Lets agree to disagee, coolio?

If the OP needs help shifting the lbs i can help.....Not by the gym but erasing saturated fat.

If the OP wants to socialize give him a call.

Didn't realise there was so many gym haters on the board!

Its like saying why go to a restaurant when you can buy all the ingredients for a tenth of the price at the market.

Why go to the cinema when you can look out the window and see people doing stuff for free.

Why go on holiday when you can sleep in the spare room.

Why go to the pub when you can buy a can from 7-11 and sit on the steps for a fraction of the price.

Why buy clothes when you can use leaves for a quarter of the price.

I understand about the money saving aspect but the ones who say the gym doesn't even help people meet their goals ("Change of diet is required, not a fancy gym.") are even more off the wall!

California Fitness at Siam Paragon is oppressively crowded these days (with members coming from all dead locations) and at Esplanade is barely alive (on life support it seems)

True Fitness at Exchange Tower is very nice (is spacious, has good equipment, classes)...

True Fitness at Zen is also nice but not as convenient for me...

will also join up with Fitness First too (for convenience of multiple locations and to ease boredom factor of only going to one place day after day)..works out to about B2000 for Platinum all locations membership AFAIK (and hopefully passport membership to use overseas branches when traveling) if buying a 1 or 2 year chunk (buy 12 months, get 2 months free)...

the investment is more than worth it for me...

the hotel gyms are a bit too expensive for me...

Edited by trajan
  • Like 1

California Fitness at Siam Paragon is oppressively crowded these days (with members coming from all dead locations) and at Esplanade is barely alive (on life support it seems)

True Fitness at Exchange Tower is very nice (is spacious, has good equipment, classes)...

True Fitness at Zen is also nice but not as convenient for me...

will also join up with Fitness First too (for convenience of multiple locations and to ease boredom factor of only going to one place day after day)..works out to about B2000 for Platinum all locations membership AFAIK (and hopefully passport membership to use overseas branches when traveling) if buying a 1 or 2 year chunk (buy 12 months, get 2 months free)...

the investment is more than worth it for me...

the hotel gyms are a bit too expensive for me...

Agree that the hotel gyms are expensive. 2000 baht per month seems like a good target price.

Yep True Fitness at Asoke is excellent. Very spacious, good quality equipment and very decent eye candy too.

I saw that girl from the California Wow poster ads in there a couple of weeks back; Odette is her name I think. Even more gorgeous in person and very pleasant. Not much motivation to work out, though - spent most of her time mincing about on the iPhone. Still, with a body like hers, it's not like she really needs to work out w00t.gif

Many gym haters here. I have lived here for over 6 years and i slowly build up my own home gym because regular gyms like cali wow were a bit to far for me. (i hate travel)

You can really bulk up in a home gym if you invest money. But you will certainly pay more as for a gym membership. My powerrack was 25k plus an olympic barbell with 175kg of weights. After that i bought various other things one of these was a concept 2 model d rower. Benches a lat pully ect ect. It all adds up and even over these 6 years i think some could have trained cheaper.

But for me it was the perfect solution.

Let everyone just be

Gyms are also to keep you in touch with like minded people - helps motivation, adds to fun. Some of my work colleagues also use the gym I joined, and I'm on sports-friends terms with a few others there as well. And some of the female staff are REal cute!

Used CaliWow in Siam two visits ago. What a screamingly loud hell hole. But got a 1 week membership that was cheaper than the 3 single visits I made would have otherwise been. It was on my regular path anyway, so I got on with the task in hand, and had a lot of space to one side for some yoga after. Quite pleasant as a result.

But really, a gym has to be a place where I WANT to be, for the clientele and ambience as well as facilities. It's time of my life, I want to enjoy it, it ain't purgatory.

My favourite so far in Thailand is Fairtex in Pattaya, which also has the advantage of being just round the corner from my usual hotel there at the Dolphin roundabout. The extra charge is worth it for me. And if I couldn't afford my home gym any more would I go to a cheaper place? Hell no - I'd do more jogging round the park near by, and do more swimming in the pool near by.

I'll try True Fitness this time round in BKK.

There will always be guys who are too lazy to work out, or are trapped in a destructive lifestyle (excess alcohol, drugs, sexual degenerates, mental problems such as chronic depression, etc).. These guys will always like to make fun of guys who are motivated to stay in shape. Best to ignore these mugwhumps. A pullup bar can be useful for back exercises (lats and rhomboids), but does nothing for chest , shoulders, legs, arms, etc. (Yes, I know it works the biceps a tiny bit if you do "girlie man" pullups with an inward facing grip) Once or twice a week, I will do 100 pullups, it's half of my back workout, I do the other half the next day. I personally don't care for the atmosphere in gyms, but I utilize them almost every day because I like my body to be trim and hard. When traveling, without gym access, I can do pushups, situps, swimming, rent a bike, etc, etc, I don't like to be ripped off by drop in fees at gyms, although I have been known to use tony's gym in pattaya and the ambassador hotel gym in bkk. It used to be 1000 baht for 5 visits at the latter, it's probably more now. The idea of doing a comprehensive workout in one square meter with a pullup bar is laughable at best.

• Like 1

Gyms are also to keep you in touch with like minded people - helps motivation, adds to fun. Some of my work colleagues also use the gym I joined, and I'm on sports-friends terms with a few others there as well. And some of the female staff are REal cute!

Used CaliWow in Siam two visits ago. What a screamingly loud hell hole. But got a 1 week membership that was cheaper than the 3 single visits I made would have otherwise been. It was on my regular path anyway, so I got on with the task in hand, and had a lot of space to one side for some yoga after. Quite pleasant as a result.

But really, a gym has to be a place where I WANT to be, for the clientele and ambience as well as facilities. It's time of my life, I want to enjoy it, it ain't purgatory.

My favourite so far in Thailand is Fairtex in Pattaya, which also has the advantage of being just round the corner from my usual hotel there at the Dolphin roundabout. The extra charge is worth it for me. And if I couldn't afford my home gym any more would I go to a cheaper place? Hell no - I'd do more jogging round the park near by, and do more swimming in the pool near by.

I'll try True Fitness this time round in BKK.

I will check out Fairtex next time I am lucky enough to visit Pattaya, I usually go to Tony's, but it was kind of expensive last time I went.

Why go to the gym and not just only diet? Yes Its right that losing weight mostly is about diet. But you wont get a fit body by only dieting even if you Do cardio. Heard of the term skinny-fat? You basically only become a smaller you: that looks skinny but fat when you remove your shirt.

Sent from my HTC One X using Thaivisa Connect App

I love working out in a populated gym...but I've also got a gym in a bag I made up for when I'm working away.

It consists of:

Pushup handles from sportscene.

Thick pvc hose skipping rope from sportscene.

Floor mat from sportscene.

Resistance bands "powertube pro" mail ordered from their website.

Wide grip pullups are done on what ever I can find on site.

It takes some knowledge and imagination

To make work out plans but I can still manage to separate days for chest, back, shoulders and legs.

While not as good as a gym full of weights it still keeps me in shape while working in bum f$&k know where.

Sent from my HTC One X using Thaivisa Connect App

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the open air gym in Lumpini park is free, fee for service, membership, etc.? I run by there regularly and see people working out and now that I am looking for a local gym, it looks perfect to me.

Also, with CalWow closed in Silom, does anyone know of another gym in the Silom/Sathorn area?

• 3 weeks later...