Help! How Do You Solve Irrational Customs Duty Charges

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might even be legit 400 pounds is 20.000 and an other 100 for the courier (courier charges include) makes it 25.000 bt value.. it could easily attract up to 30/40 tax and vat.

Seems like no scam here....

Used clothes is 30% + vat 7%

25,000 x 30% = 7,500 thb

32,500 x 7% = 2,275 thb

Total duty and vat 9,775 thb

Of course the above 25k value is rough estimate of CIF value when freight charges are added in. Actual could be a bit more depending on actual weight

You could threaten to abandon the goods and see if DHL will do anything for you, but it seems like they are using the real duty and vat rates...

I read now everthing in this Topic!

I think to dient Out dhl cheat or Not , with Overcharge, we have to make a comparison!

To find the real answer out, we must send goods of identical value and class with dhl, and then import with national post office over thai post!

If the Charge on dhl higher the cheating!

Only when we do like that we will find out the real answer!

I think bisness companys not have that problem because there have good law people on there hand!

But in my case when dhl take parcel over to thai post!

Who makes the import declaration?

Dhl in every country sometime deliver directly when driver avalible , if not the will deliver directly

Problem begin now when there is a transport damage because always the company deliver the parcel to you you must claim the insurance!

When I order eBay staff within the eu, could tell many nightmare of company's never pay anything in case of damage gls dhl never pay also Hermes !

The say the sender Is our customer , Not you!

And then Tell you Many that The Not Must Pay xray every parcel, Tell Packing was Not enough!

Or Other Storys on phone like every overseaparcel Must handle The mainpreasure From the tob and from the side of over 1000 Kg !

1 ton!

Only on national post it's via versa here I can claim insurance get money back but must bring defect goods to post office the take picture destroy it then insurance pay ! I I think nearly same everywhere!

This why I always happy when dhl take over parcel to another company

Dhl has 0 service 2 month waiting time when you have problem until answer and 2. Expensivest after ups! That's the situation in Europe

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

As others have said, never, ever, ever use a courier service..it guarantees customs problems. Use regular postal service.

Using regular postal service does not insulate you from rapacious customs agents.

Today I received a package, sent by US Express Mail, and it went through Thai Post. The value was $60. The package was labeled "gift" as it was sent by relatives. It was about 6 small bottles of vitamin supplements I use for therapy.

Thai customs charge: $20. That's a 30% duty charge.

Outrageous.

Using regular postal service does not insulate you from rapacious customs agents.

Today I received a package, sent by US Express Mail, and it went through Thai Post. The value was $60. The package was labeled "gift" as it was sent by relatives. It was about 6 small bottles of vitamin supplements I use for therapy.

Thai customs charge: $20. That's a 30% duty charge.

Outrageous.

I wonder what guidelines are thaipost referring to exactly when adding charges...

Got one of my regular vitamin orders taxed yesterday (les than $ 60 declared worth, ended up paying 500 & something baht (30 % VAT + 10 % sales tax on top that)

A similar valued box arrived finely this morning tho, same as all of my orders through past year.

DHL shipments got charged unhumanly all the time, so at least they have some consistency.

How about regular shipping time from Europe to thai with dhl? Was send out on 12 of December today number 20 still not areived!

With national post from Austria was here last year within 7 8 days!

The strange thing after dhl take the parcel over to thai post 4 day ago I see online a thai post track link but if I follow it show file not found, I called dhl in Europe give me another number beginning with ct and ends with 2 letter from the country was send from!

But also this new number not display new information online!

It looks after dhl takes over to thai post the online track system stop working!

Dhl recommend me call the thai post hotline ?

Did maybe not speak English I don't know!

One more question , one time I read on a thai post bill recept that the have also a pickup service, is this only in the city avalible?, or everywhere in Thailand?

How long the aprox sending time when parcel areived in Bangkok to any destination in Thailand without ems?,more then 5 day?

How about regular shipping time from Europe to thai with dhl? Was send out on 12 of December today number 20 still not areived!

dhl courier or dhl global mail?

if courier, I believe you can call them and push to get a refund, times like those are unacceptable (unless they have some valid reason behind it)

dhl global mail, which I believe you're referring to, is carried by local postal services outside of Europe, I'd expect it to be here in 8-10 working days (up to 2 calendar weeks basically.)

Might be slower due to Christmas madness coming up - my shipments weren't affected, though.

Edited by princessa

Just had 2 inflatable kayaks delivered by FedEx to Phuket. We had no choice re shipment from US. FedEx added the shipping charges to the value and also used an incorrect code resulting in us having to pay about 15,000 baht more than the correct amount (confirmed by a friend in customs). FedEx here refuses to do anything about it so we are screwed.

Lesson - do not use FedEx and IMO they are probably splitting the excess with customs.

Just had 2 inflatable kayaks delivered by FedEx to Phuket. We had no choice re shipment from US. FedEx added the shipping charges to the value and also used an incorrect code resulting in us having to pay about 15,000 baht more than the correct amount (confirmed by a friend in customs). FedEx here refuses to do anything about it so we are screwed.

Lesson - do not use FedEx and IMO they are probably splitting the excess with customs.

How many times does this have to be explained?

This is not a Scam by the Courier Companies, either by themselves or in co-operation with the Customs Department.

DHL, FedEx, UPS et al are COURIER COMPANIES whose Revenue derives ONLY from their Freight Charges, plus of course Clearing Charges, and Local Freight Charges after the Shipment has been Cleared by Thai Customs.

ANY other Charges from Customs - Import Duty, V.A.T. etc. are simply passed on to you, the Customer.

It is not their responsibility - nor is it at all in their interest - to dispute any such Charges!

Why should they expend their own Staffs' time - and ergo their money - to dispute a Charge which will bring them, the Courier Company, absolutely no benefit?

If you think the Tariff Code is incorrect then appoint your own Clearing Agent, who will, for a Fee of course, negotiate with the Customs Department to allocate (what you believe) is the correct Code No..

Patrick

Payed now 2700 bath for value of 500€ on dhlso the information someone posts here parcels up to 600€ are tax free I cannot confirm

How many times do people have to say it....what you are going to charged depends on what exactly the item(s) are with respect to the tariff code and the declared value....the 600 Euro ?...tax thing is absolute rubbish..

Edited by Soutpeel

The couriers do have an incentive to misrepresent the codes if they are getting a cut from customs, and they do have an incentive to increase storage and handling charges to the max. It's one big criminal syndicate here.

Well seeing as DHL is a US company and US companies typically have very strict "corruption" polices in place....my I humbly suggest you contact DHL in the US and tell them they are operating a criminal syndicate in Thailand....whistling.gif

The couriers do have an incentive to misrepresent the codes if they are getting a cut from customs, and they do have an incentive to increase storage and handling charges to the max. It's one big criminal syndicate here.

Well seeing as DHL is a US company and US companies typically have very strict "corruption" polices in place....my I humbly suggest you contact DHL in the US and tell them they are operating a criminal syndicate in Thailand....whistling.gif

May I humbly suggest you read my post first before shooting your mouth off Soutpeel? The one where I stated it was FedEx? And yes I am contacting them thanks.

May I humbly suggest you read my post first before shooting your mouth off Soutpeel? The one where I stated it was FedEx? And yes I am contacting them thanks.

And Fedex is not a US company ?....DHL, FEDEX same...both US based/owned couriers...so my comment regarding DHL applies just as equally....and If i choose to shoot my mouth off I will do so, last time I looked this was an open forum...wink.png

It's also total rubbish to suggest that the Courier Companies are getting a kickback from the Thai Customs Department from the Import Duty or V.A.T. charged. You will get an official Government Receipt for these charges.

Patrick

Every parcel from Europe have a standard insurance of 500€

If you send goods in this same value, and you make lower declaration, then insurance will up to the same amount how high the declaration will be!

For example.!

I have buyers from oversea china USA hongkong etc, the always want, I declare the item lower then the original price was to save import coasts, but if there a damage insurance pay you never the real amount when declaration is lower !

If some one make no value declaration and mark it like a gift, then for sure the coasts of import duty Is different from them, then make a stanart parcel value of insurance of 500€

For sure thai post only offers low insurance up to 5000 bath, and one time the post in my home country told me also the postal coasts from the origin country the parcels comes from will some procent charged in final import duty you have to pay!

Every parcel from Europe have a standard insurance of 500€

If you send goods in this same value, and you make lower declaration, then insurance will up to the same amount how high the declaration will be!

For example.!

I have buyers from oversea china USA hongkong etc, the always want, I declare the item lower then the original price was to save import coasts, but if there a damage insurance pay you never the real amount when declaration is lower !

If some one make no value declaration and mark it like a gift, then for sure the coasts of import duty Is different from them, then make a stanart parcel value of insurance of 500€

For sure thai post only offers low insurance up to 5000 bath, and one time the post in my home country told me also the postal coasts from the origin country the parcels comes from will some procent charged in final import duty you have to pay!

Well of course if you declare a lower value for your shipment the Insurance will only cover you for the value declared - what do you expect!?

Also, in most Countries worldwide - including Thailand - Import Duty is calculated on the C.I.F. value of the shipment - that's Cost + Insurance + Freight Cost.

Patrick

Unfortunately it has now become an urban myth amongst a certain sector of farangs living in Thailand that Fedex, DHL, etc are scamming them with charges.

I bet the Customs Dept, who are the real scammers and charge inflaters, are laughing their <deleted> off. Courier companies do all the work, customer pays, courier companies get all the flack, Customs get all the money. Stupid farangs who can't read a receipt keep berating the courier companies. It is just beautifully designed.

Unfortunately it has now become an urban myth amongst a certain sector of farangs living in Thailand that Fedex, DHL, etc are scamming them with charges.

I bet the Customs Dept, who are the real scammers and charge inflaters, are laughing their <deleted> off. Courier companies do all the work, customer pays, courier companies get all the flack, Customs get all the money. Stupid farangs who can't read a receipt keep berating the courier companies. It is just beautifully designed.

Fed ex might not be scamming, but i still advise against it a shipment of supplements that should have been send by normal post is now at the Thai FDA (something that never happened before) because it was send by Fed Ex. Its not even above the months limit supply. Normal couriers are much better at doing things below the radar. I don't even mind paying charges but sending stuff to the Thai FDA is just paper pushing to increase their holding fees and such.

I really try to do everything without couriers but unfortunately the seller thought to do me a favor and upgraded my shipping method.

First thing you need to check what value DHL has declared to customs.

I had experience with FedEx just recently, where the agent idiot working for FedEx who can not read English has decided that the $ is a 4 and declared the value at $4800 while the actual value was only $800.

Sounds like DHL did similar thing

Agreed Robblok

I got an FM (brand) motorcycle helmet sent here through the normal post. Arrived without a problem. Had it come from through a courier company, Customs would have pounced and added ridiculous charges.

I agree with you that its not fed ex that comes up with the charges (other then their handling fee and storage fee ect). But you never see those kinds of fees from the USPS or stuff like that. I have had one or two things taxed with USPS but not often but no such things as storage fees and handling fees. Seem they don't want to go that route.

Anyway all i can do is wait and hope for now.

Just got the fed ex invoice.. duty only 134 baht.. but clearance charges (for fed ex) 1200 bt. Kinda says it all that they have to gain by making things go official. For those who don't believe me i can put the scan up here with my name greyed out. In this case happy to pay as i want the stuff. But its a hassle.. 10 emails and calls and stuff.

Yeap...the company (MNC) I work for uses DHL & FEDEX all the time and i have never once have I heard a complaint about them being scammed....

Considering how business in Thailand is done, I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility that some folks in the shipping industry are getting some take of the proceeds that are scammed by customs... If they aren't doing something like that, it would be out of character for the normal means of operating in Thailand.

But more to the point, it's the average Joe Schmoe customers who are often getting scammed when they have packages delivered to Thailand by the private couriers. What else would you call it when deliveries by Fed Ex and DHL may incur duty and tax surcharges as high as 30 to 50% above and beyond the value of the shipment itself... whereas the exact same package when sent by USPS/Thai Post or other economy airmail shippers often incur little or no tax or duty?

Who's responsible for that? Customs surely, because it's their system... DHL and Fed Ex when they are complicit by stating shipment values as based on CIF or when they add on vague "customs clearance" or handling charges, when Thai Post doesn't do either of those things? Very likely. And that's only beginning to skim the surface of the scam.

Had 6 pounds of chocolates from the U.S. arrive at home today. Sent by an economy shipper and delivered to my doorstep by Thai Post. Didn't pay a baht of duty or tax, which is the normal routine. Now please tell me just how much extra in taxes and duties I would have been hit with had the package gone through Fed Ex or DHL....

Blame whomever you want, but know that you're the one likely/often getting scammed (which I define as needlessly paying extra for nothing extra of value received) if you have packages delivered via that route.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Just because the Thai post office is not collecting the duty and tax that they should be or requiring import permits for things that the Thai law requires doesn't make the courier companies crooks...

The duty and vat billed by forwarders or courier companies goes straight to Thai customs, courier companies do not get any portion of that. You also get official receipts from the courier or forwarder showing the same.

Just because the Thai post office is not collecting the duty and tax that they should be or requiring import permits for things that the Thai law requires doesn't make the courier companies crooks...

The duty and vat billed by forwarders or courier companies goes straight to Thai customs, courier companies do not get any portion of that. You also get official receipts from the courier or forwarder showing the same.

Sure but the clearing charges are theirs and they are much lower for thai post if they do it.

I paid, over a 1000 clearing and just 134 tax.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

Frankly, I'd assume pretty much no one here knows or has any way of knowing what kind of financial relationships exist between Thai Customs and the private couriers. We all know what gets billed, which by itself is sometimes all over the map for similar shipments. But what happens after the money is paid, who knows???

I'll be the first to say I don't know. But I've often heard vague kind of explanations about the private couriers having their own customs houses to supposedly expedite handling of their shipments. So when your FedEx or DHL shipment comes thru, just exactly who is it who's deciding whether it gets dutied at 20% vs. 60% (plus the 7% VAT)??

--a Thai Customs agent working solo?

--a FedEx or DHL employee working on behalf of Thai Customs?

--a Thai Customs agent who may be being paid or subsidized by one of the private carriers?

Who knows... Except, considering this is Thailand, I'd suspect it's not all being handled in a straightforward, transparent business-like manner.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Thb 1000 is not an unreasonable amount for any broker to handle formal customs clearance, but if you think to high you are fee to tell DHL that you do not want them to clear and to hand over to your nominated customs broker

Or you can pick up the d/o from DHL and go down to the customs building to clear on your own...

I am sure after doing it once you will think that 1000 thb is well worth it.