Help! How Do You Solve Irrational Customs Duty Charges

Hi All,

Anyone got any experience in dealing with customs over ridiculous charges for couriered items? A few days ago I arranged for two bags to be couriered here from London Heathrow to avoid the hefty overweight charges. Contents were mostly my personal clothes, as stated on the documentation, amounting to £350 value, country of origin Thailand. + £50 in gifts from US. However, DHL called this morning saying I had to stump up 10,000 baht in duty, ridiculous!

How do I go about challenging this, seems the goods were cleared in Bangkok, so not sure if DHL paid it or are just collecting it, and whether I can now go to the Chiang Mai customs office to appeal this. Opening up the bag to display the contents will soon reveal how unfair this charge is, especially when I complain to customs that they can keep the lots since it's cheaper for me to spend 10,000 baht on buying new clothes.

I heard that Customs is notorious for abitrarily applying fees like this and noted as one of the country's most corrupt departments.

Cheers

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first off you screwed yourself using DHL and Customs have you over a barrel, you can try and talk to them but good luck with that... you have declared 400 quids worth of stuff and they are hitting you 50% import tax, which is as far as I am aware not far off the mark for imported clothes, believe 40-50% is norm.....so before screaming scam, go an check what the applicable rates should be, but bet what they are after is not far off the mark

I've had similar scams from the couriers...inspection,storage charges etc etc all deliberatly delayed to boost up their charges...have contacted and protested to the locals and to their head office...a waste of time. If it cant be sent by normal post, I just dont bother anymore.

The longer you delay in sorting this issue out, may result in additional costs...such as storage

The above post was correct, if you send anything other than documents, DHL will use a broker to clear the goods..this is were the charges start to build up and duties are charged

On the declaration you should have stated worn clothing with a low value e.g GBP50

It looks to me you have screwed yourself

Two options - Pay up or walk away and buy new clothes

I don't think walking away is quite so simple.

If you do walk away, you may find yourself presented with a bill from DHL for services they rendered and did not get paid for. And if you don't pay that, you may find yourself getting calls from collection people. And if you still don't pay...

Somewhere in the small print, I'm sure they have you agreeing to pay charges related to customs clearance. They hired someone to clear customs for you, whether you like the value you're getting for what they're asking you to pay.

The charges sound legitimate to me, though maybe not reasonable. Quite a bit of that money is probably for the hired customs agent to fill out the paperwork on your behalf. That's one reason it's hard to get into the import-export business on a small scale (unless it's so small you can get under the radar).

Chalk it up to tuition, and rather cheap at that. Customs booboos can cost in the tens of thousands of dollars.

Thanks, I contacted a friend of the wife who is in import/export business, she's lodged an appeal on our behalf, seems that by not putting 'used' on the sheet, but I can argue that I put 'clothes bought in Thailand', which hopefully is reasonable grounds to argue a reduction. DHL weren't very helpful, but I didn't hire them, I used Rapid Parcel at Heathrow who find a suitable company. Sounds like my naivity in getting ripped off by a courier who couldn't care less and simply clears it and forces you to pay, without contacting you to discuss and offer a cheaper solution by clarifying the contents. Obviously opening for inspection would have been a simple way to determine, but TIT, take the lazt route and expect the customer to pay, not the cheapest country in the world afterall, since even an international company like DHL rip you off.

Funny enough, last year I ordered a GPS online, declared it's value at £400, had it couriered and it arrived at my door with a 1,000 baht customs charge. Biggest complaint I hear from importing is that these fees are applied so abritrarily.

I ordered an automotive part from Germany about a year ago costing approx 200 Euros that go delivered/shipped via DHL... didn't have a choice in shipper as DHL was the only carrier used by the seller...for this 200 Euro item I got hit with almost a 40% customs charge and related fees on top of the basic shipping fees. I won't buy from any seller that only uses DHL ever again; nor will I probably use DHL every again. This one personal experience and other ThaiVisa post horror stories I've seen about DHL makes me want to avoid their service. I've ordered other things from from Europe and the U.S. delivered by normal postal channels and usually end up with a 7 % (Thai VAT) related fee, except one time when I got hit with some customs fees that total around 30%.

I ordered an automotive part from Germany about a year ago costing approx 200 Euros that go delivered/shipped via DHL... didn't have a choice in shipper as DHL was the only carrier used by the seller...for this 200 Euro item I got hit with almost a 40% customs charge and related fees on top of the basic shipping fees. I won't buy from any seller that only uses DHL ever again; nor will I probably use DHL every again. This one personal experience and other ThaiVisa post horror stories I've seen about DHL makes me want to avoid their service. I've ordered other things from from Europe and the U.S. delivered by normal postal channels and usually end up with a 7 % (Thai VAT) related fee, except one time when I got hit with some customs fees that total around 30%.

I have found DHL to be lowest of the bunch compared to Fedex and UPS. Overall EMS is the cheapest.

Never use courier services unless you really have to.... Always use post office EMS. I have had lots of items I buy on e-bay and such and never a problem with customs charges. The only time they charged me was 250 baht when I had an expensive camera sent from USA. I bought a Wi game from HK once and it was sent FedEx by the time I had paid over 3500 baht in customs and VAT (double) I could have bought the item 1300 baht cheaper in BKK.

I know this is closing the stable door after the horse has bolted but couriers are really licensed bandits. I once sent a camera away for repair, the company sent it back by courier and I was hammered for tax, duty and the works because the couriers don't give a toss, they will just pay it and bill you without question. I have found the good old post office international signed for is by way the best and cheapest.

Edited by sysardman

I was screwed by both DHL and FEDEX. I only use the post office now and have rarely had a problem except for two small packages lost last week (value $75.00). There seems to be more loss/theft with the post office but little or no custom's fees.

Hmm, FedEx:

As others have said, never, ever, ever use a courier service..it guarantees customs problems. Use regular postal service.

Hi Sheryl.

Thought I'd share this. Recently I shipped about 12 crates/boxes to BKK via SKY2C who provided a receiving agent right here in Rama IX. When customs read my declarations which included some collectable knives, they asked my BKK agent: "Why so many knives? (8)! He sell them in Thailand? He pay 30,000 TB or 15,000 if you pay now (under the table).

I told my BKK agent to inquire whether customs would prefer a telephone call from a police-general or from an army-general. My shipment arrived the next day with only minimal charges.

I do know some people around here, but I was only bluffing...as were they.

Kind regards

For the Op I understand your frustration but it is unlikely that DHL is doing anything wrong or cheasting you.

Couriers are in business and are both conservative and sometimes lacking in skill and teh same care of a small (more expensive ) customs broker.

If there is an audit or problem they are responsible so they go the conservative route and clear at high rates when there is any doubt.

I use EMS and DHL 6 days a week and find DHL's service and speed far better than EMS. DHL is also much cheaper for us but use tehm daily and the normal rates are higher than EMS.

If you look on the Thai cusroms and post office websites they will tell you their guidelines for collecting duty and for small items it is often zero tax - not that it is not owed but they won't collect it. DHL doe not have that option.

You declared a certain value and it seems like you are being taxed per your declaration.

Now if you want to change your declaration and protest as you seem to be doing - I wish you the best of luck.

Two problems here, at least...

1. As others have said, never use the likes of FedEx or DHL for sending packages into Thailand unless you have a burning desire to be fleeced. One of the reasons they're worse is that typically they'll charge you tax and duty not just on the value of your items, but also tax and duty on the costs of shipping and insurance for whatever is being sent.

2. I ordered some new clothing once that unfortunately was shipped by DHL, long before I understood about such things, and ended up getting hit with a 60% or so duty rate on the clothing, plus all the other stuff. As I recall, potentially if the customs folks want to do it, clothing imported into Thailand has one of the highest duty rates. I believe the duty charts include a lesser amount for existing clothing, but whether you can get them to recognize that might be a tough task.

Two problems here, at least...

1. As others have said, never use the likes of FedEx or DHL for sending packages into Thailand unless you have a burning desire to be fleeced. One of the reasons they're worse is that typically they'll charge you tax and duty not just on the value of your items, but also tax and duty on the costs of shipping and insurance for whatever is being sent.

This is nonsense.

Import Duty is always charged on C.I.F. value - the Cost of the item, plus the Freight plus Insurance. ALWAYS. This is International practice too, not just in Thailand

I get tired of people on this and other Forums claiming that the Courier Companies are cheating / scamming - in the vast majority of cases they are not.

These Companies are Courier Companies, their business is conveying packages from A to B and charging their own Courier Fees - that's it, that's what they receive.

Any additional charges incurred along the way - including Customs Duty, V.A.T. etc. are simply passed on to you, the Customer; so basically whatever Duty the Customs Department decide to levy the Courier Company will just accept it - why should they waste their staffs' time in disputing any charges? - they get no benefit whatsoever.

I often use Courier Companies when I need assurance that something will arrive quickly and safely. Before the item is cleared the Courier Company will tell me what percentage of Import Duty the Thai Customs Department has levied - if it is incorrect I arrange to have the Documents sent to my own Customs Clearing Agent who will dispute the Charges on my behalf - that's part of their job and the reason I use them.

And by the way you will always get an official Receipt from the Customs Department showing exactly what Duty and V.A.T. has been charged - and since the introduction of a "paperless" system a few years ago corruption in the Customs Department has significantly reduced.

Patrick

PB, some of your post above is nonsense... Import duty is NOT always charged on CIF or even charged at all -- except if you mean always by carriers like FedEx and DHL.

I've shipped many of packages from the US to here via USPS Global Priority mail, and I've never had duty assessed by the Thai Post here on anything other than usually a flat single rate based on the declared value of the item.... and no paperwork documentation from Customs given at all.. except for usually a duty amount scrawled in pen on the outside of the box along with the purchase price (not CIF amount) converted into baht and a Customs stamp.

Even better, for me, when I use my U.S. shipping company which sends a lot of my items airmail via Belgium Post International (BPI), 99% of the time my items arrive here and are delivered by Thai Post with absolutely no duty or tax at all, not on the purchase price and certainly not with any other items added in. Those are usually 3 to 8 pound boxes with various kinds of electronics and consumer items.

The FedExs and DHLs of the world may operate their way, which is a costly way for the person paying the bill. But there are other comparable delivery options that don't use their same methods and fees at all.

PB, some of your post above is nonsense... Import duty is NOT always charged on CIF or even charged at all -- except if you mean always by carriers like FedEx and DHL.

I've shipped many of packages from the US to here via USPS Global Priority mail, and I've never had duty assessed by the Thai Post here on anything other than usually a flat single rate based on the declared value of the item.... and no paperwork documentation from Customs given at all.. except for usually a duty amount scrawled in pen on the outside of the box along with the purchase price (not CIF amount) converted into baht and a Customs stamp.

Even better, for me, when I use my U.S. shipping company which sends a lot of my items airmail via Belgium Post International (BPI), 99% of the time my items arrive here and are delivered by Thai Post with absolutely no duty or tax at all, not on the purchase price and certainly not with any other items added in. Those are usually 3 to 8 pound boxes with various kinds of electronics and consumer items.

The FedExs and DHLs of the world may operate their way, which is a costly way for the person paying the bill. But there are other comparable delivery options that don't use their same methods and fees at all.

Actually PB is correct in general except that he is giving an overview and not going each and every possible scenario. He is explaining that couriers can and usually are expensive but they are not stealing and it is nonsense to whine about their fees simply accept or reject them end of story.

As I said earlier If you look on the Thai customs and post office websites they will tell you their guidelines for collecting duty and for small items it is often zero tax - not that it is not owed under the law but they won't collect it. DHL does not have that option.

My personal experience with Thai post has been mixed most small packages having no duty but some things like one pair of running shoes often having duty.

You're trying to avoid the issue there old chap.

I was clearly referring to the nonsense in your Post where you stated (and I quoted) :

"As others have said, never use the likes of FedEx or DHL for sending packages into Thailand unless you have a burning desire to be fleeced. One of the reasons they're worse is that typically they'll charge you tax and duty not just on the value of your items, but also tax and duty on the costs of shipping and insurance for whatever is being sent."

i.e. both you and I were referring to Courier Shipments not USPS / normal mail.

Patrick

I had one of those disputes when i used Fedex. I had some samples send to me from china, it was basically some metal pieces. Resale worth zero.

The declared value was 10US$, I was stupid for having it shipped with fedex because this signals the customs department that it must be a valuable and time critical delivery.

They like valuable and time critical, it gives them the upper hand.

I basically said, open it up, inspect it, weigh it and you will see that it is only 10US$. It took about a month and they got tired of me i think.

So they just send it to me without having to pay taxes and import duty.

I took away their leverage and then they had to follow the rules, just like anybody else.

Lesson learned, only use a courier service when it is really time critical and of great value and you need to be sure that it will be delivered as fast as possible.

In those cases paying import duties and taxes is part of the deal.

For the rest send it with normal mail. China mail, usps etc all work great.

Edited by Khun Jean

You're trying to avoid the issue there old chap.

I was clearly referring to the nonsense in your Post where you stated (and I quoted) :

"As others have said, never use the likes of FedEx or DHL for sending packages into Thailand unless you have a burning desire to be fleeced. One of the reasons they're worse is that typically they'll charge you tax and duty not just on the value of your items, but also tax and duty on the costs of shipping and insurance for whatever is being sent."

i.e. both you and I were referring to Courier Shipments not USPS / normal mail.

Patrick

Actually, what I said is exactly correct. The total price of shipping the same item from the U.S. to Thailand is typically markedly higher when using FedEx and DHL compared to using the regular mail system via carriers like USPS and BPI.

And I'm not talking about just the postage rates, but rather, the total costs of shipping: postage, tax, duty and any other expenses all included.

I'm waiting for someone to give me a good, sensible explanation as to why exactly the same items sent from the U.S. to Thailand typically will get a hefty set of tax and duty charges (calculated on the higher CIF amount) when sent by FedEx and DHL, but often get little or no tax and duty when sent via USPS or other regular mail system carriers like BPI. And when there is a Thailand duty from the latter, it's typically based just on the lesser declared value only, not on CIF.

I have no gripe with FedEx and DHL at large. I've often used them before in the U.S. for shipments and they typically provide good or excellent delivery service. I don't mind at all paying for the delivery service and speed of my choice. But I object to the black vs white system here where taxes and duties are high/heavy with FedEx and DHL but little or none with the mail carriers -- and no extra value/service provided for the extra cost duty/tax paid by the customer.

I have no desire to pay markedly extra for something that serves no purpose and provides no added value. To me, that's just needlessly throwing one's money away.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK