Ferrari That Killed Bangkok Cop Was Doing 200Kph; Red Bull Heir

webfact

What is the official limit down Sukhumvit? 40? 60? Even if he was doing 120, this would warrant a custodial sentence in many parts of the world. If he was doing anything 100+ he is an absolute idiot. Sukhumvit is about the busiest road in the country, and is never ever empty enough to permit doing 100+, to do 60+ I would say would be extremely risky considering the amount of people around at any time of day or night.

For the record, it is 80 for passenger cars. Not relevant, but there it is. At 5:30AM it is not busy.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the official limit down Sukhumvit? 40? 60? Even if he was doing 120, this would warrant a custodial sentence in many parts of the world. If he was doing anything 100+ he is an absolute idiot. Sukhumvit is about the busiest road in the country, and is never ever empty enough to permit doing 100+, to do 60+ I would say would be extremely risky considering the amount of people around at any time of day or night.

For the record, it is 80 for passenger cars. Not relevant, but there it is. At 5:30AM it is not busy.

Well that in itself is far too high for a very built up area.

The Daily News, and a couple other sources, are reporting a "64 mg percent" blood alcohol. In the States, a .08 BAC will constitute "drunk driving". Not sure if the Thai standard equates to .064 BAC, or when they finally got around to administering the test. But, it definitely flies in the face of "My client wasn't drinking"!

I believe the limit is 0.05 here. So, the FACTS of the case:

Over the limit. Lawyer lies about drinking.

Hit and runs (speed irrelevant). Kills a person.

A scapegoat set up is tried, but unsuccessful. Shame on the policeman for trying.

Driver admits he hit the motorcycle.

Driver is from the 4th richest family in Thailand.

Result: A bunch of BS and sadly no real consequences for the guilty party.

• Like 2

Well that in itself is far too high for a very built up area.

Yes, it is. However, technically impossible during the day and early night.

80 is the limit on most roads in Bangkok. Even the expressways.

one thing to remember is how quickly a ferrari can reach that speed, you're talking probably 6-8 seconds

0 - 200kph in 10.3 seconds.

Look at google maps and look at the distance between Suk sois 47 and 49. If he came out of 47 and and hit the cop at the mouth of 49, it is not possible to achieve 200kmh in 200meters or less. Even for this Ferrari.

200KMH? No. Way.

If he would have been going 200, the whole front would have been smashed in much more and the policeman would have gone through the windshield. The motorcycle would have been mangled to bits and IMPLANTED into the Ferrari.

Remember the Porsche incident with the girl? He was going MUCH faster.

That Ferrari was going 70. Tops.

All of a sudden Thaivisa members are roadcrash experts.

If you know anything about cars or have ever been in an accident, you know this is total BS.

Use some common sense.

Have you ever seen what happens when things go wrong at that speed? Even if the motorcycle would have been traveling 80, the damage would be been much more severe.

They should check the car's ECU. It will show the speed at time of impact.

So having experienced an accident makes you a forensic expert these days?

I have been ill,does that make me a doctor now?

• Like 2

This fully grown man claims that he was sober.

To be honest, he may be better off claiming that he was drunk, at least then there would be an explanation for this totally irresponsible behaviour.

(now, please excuse me, I have to go and stop Newton spinning in his grave)

• Like 1

I think you'll find it is actually 60kph for private cars.

But this is Thailand, the legal speed limit will be determined by the traffic cop who stopped you.

• Like 1

200KMH? No. Way.

If he would have been going 200, the whole front would have been smashed in much more and the policeman would have gone through the windshield. The motorcycle would have been mangled to bits and IMPLANTED into the Ferrari.

If you know anything about cars or have ever been in an accident, you know this is total BS.

Use some common sense.

Have you ever seen what happens when things go wrong at that speed? Even if the motorcycle would have been traveling 80, the damage would be been much more severe.

So having experienced an accident makes you a forensic expert these days?

I have been ill,does that make me a doctor now?

No, it does not. You just need to use common sense, know some basic physics and have seen other high speed accidents.

I thought I had covered this already.

IMHO and from first hand experience, it is practically impossible to drive at 200km/h along that particular stretch of Sukhumvit Road (on both sides around Soi 49). I regularly drive past that area around 5:30am and there are just too many cars, buses and motorcycles to allow any acceleration to 200km/h. I agree that the damage to the motorcycle and car would have to be much more than what is shown in the photos. Again, I'm not defending the guy, I'm just stating my opinion.

No offence but I guess you have never put your foot down in a Ferrari, 200klm p/h around 7 seconds... this speed is easily doable in Sukhumvit but I have my doubts whether or not the imbecile was actually doing that at the time of the accident

200KMH? No. Way.

Use some common sense.

ECU = Engine Control Unit

An engine control unit (ECU), most commonly called the powertrain control module (PCM), is a type of electronic control unit that controls a series of actuators on an internal combustion engine to ensure the optimum running. It does this by reading values from a multitude of sensors within the engine bay, interpreting the data using multidimensional performance maps (called Look-up tables), and adjusting the engine actuators accordingly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_control_unit

Something completely different from a black box in my humble opinion

• Like 1

I've seen the photos of the car and the motorcycle, and seriously doubt that the car was doing 200kph. The motorcycle looks in fairly decent condition and would have been completely destroyed if the car had really been doing that speed. I'm not defending the idiot car driver, but I can't believe you can drive that fast on Sukumvit no matter the hour. And I suspect he was fairly drunk. The international press coverage of this tragic event will hopefully bring some much needed reforms to law enforcement in Thailand. Yes, I'm a dreamer...

I totally agree on damage patterns and speed. Maybe 25 mph faster than bike.

I've seen the photos of the car and the motorcycle, and seriously doubt that the car was doing 200kph. The motorcycle looks in fairly decent condition and would have been completely destroyed if the car had really been doing that speed. I'm not defending the idiot car driver, but I can't believe you can drive that fast on Sukumvit no matter the hour. And I suspect he was fairly drunk. The international press coverage of this tragic event will hopefully bring some much needed reforms to law enforcement in Thailand. Yes, I'm a dreamer...

I have seen the pictures as well. and i can believe it. the bike became lodged in the front of the car.

post-62652-0-59392900-1346901245_thumb.j

If that excuse for a man had come to my father/brother/sons funeral ,I would not be able to refrain myself from ripping his head off!

Agree, he would not leave looking so neat and tidy.

Family obviously expecting a big payout

Which is quite a shame really as they will now be expecting to be on easy street for the rest of their life...bet they cannot believe their luck.

After all, a guy I know got killed on a motorbike on sukhumvit by a garbage truck, they could have been so unlucky.

So they were able to find the accident scene from blood drops and oil leaks... But no skid marks at all?

So did he ever even hit the breaks before or after hitting the officer?

If going that fast and hitting the brakes should have caused some serious skid marks?

Antiskid brakes do not skid. STOP buying Red Bull. All the poor slobs complaining about the rich getting away with murder, well get rich. All of our whining will not change anything. The old Mexican saying "for money the dog dances without money u dance like a dog"

I hope we all learned a little from this.I watch some of the old farangs in Pattaya ride bikes like the idiots they really are.

I worry a lot when riding in Pattaya and try to stay off the road at certain times. At least it reduces the odds of getting hit a little

Edited by BlueSkyCowboy
  • Like 1

We have to consider Thai thinking. He knows he has made a mistake and needs advice. Also, his father is one of the most intelligent men in Thailand (he's filthy rich QED) so who better to approach for advice. But it would be disrespectful to ask his father to come to him, with the added humiliation of standing in the street, possibly in his silk PJs. So he HAS to go home.

Seondary considerations; BIB have some status, but he's riding a motorcycle, so far outclassed by rich man's son in a Ferrari. Body on the car severely reducing both status and value of same, and if still alive,might be considered kidnapping - best ditched.

The Daily News, and a couple other sources, are reporting a "64 mg percent" blood alcohol. In the States, a .08 BAC will constitute "drunk driving". Not sure if the Thai standard equates to .064 BAC, or when they finally got around to administering the test. But, it definitely flies in the face of "My client wasn't drinking"!

Same lawyer said: his client had not been drinking before the accident, but instead imbibed alcohol after he hit the policeman with his car.

I go for Lippo instead of the Red Bull(shit) drink in the future.

This guy has some huge gonads

IMO opinion he should be charged with being a disgrace to the human race as well as manslaighter

Continuing to drive after hitting someone like that is awful

RIP to the BIB

Rot in jail to the car driver

Even the average man from a poor family, behaves, and conducts his life as if he is a member of a special gender. So, you can only imagine how many times that is magnified when he is from such a rich, and powerful family. Most Thai men are 13 year old boys in a man's body, anyway, so what can we expect from this parasite kid? He is a leech, sucking the blood of society, and everyone knows that. He is conditioned since early childhood, to believe he is a knight, a special person, and is untouchable. He was not taught responsibility. He is no Kennedy. He has never been taught by his family, that there is an inherent responsibility to society that comes with wealth and that he needs to behave in a certain manner. One of honor, dignity, and respect. The entire family are vampires. They suck the blood of Thai society, by selling poison. This beverage has been found to be fabulously toxic. Do they care? Thai society needs to start holding families like this one accountable. At the very least, they can be made to feel like social pariahs. If the general public starts jeering every member of the family, when they leave the house, and when they are seen in public, could you just imaging the impact that might have? Instead of feeling like they have all that power, they would start feeling like their actions are being accounted for, and that they actually had responsibilities. What has that family done for Thailand lately? How many poor folks are they helping out?

• Like 1

I've got to say, that cynical photo-op picture at the top of this thread just about makes me throw up. You just know that, apart from keeping their good side to the cameras, his thoughts at least were more of self pity than respect for the dead policeman. They certainly wouldn't have been welcome if I were a family member. sad.png

• Like 1

As softgrorge said, every case is different. The physical evidence at scene will give you a very educated guess at minimum speeds of contact. Collision reconstructionists use mathematical formulae based on physics. They will interpret skid marks and gouges in the roadway to determine a point of impact etc. Based on these physical indicators of objects, bodies, etc, they can make a determination. If there is not positive point of impact, a gouge in the road where the vehicles made contact caused by downward motion of the two objects, a positive determination of a true speed will be in doubt. Collision reconstructionists can only interpret the evidence they see.

Now, a forensic engineer can do a "crush analysis" on the vehicles, and based on the crumple zones and weights of the vehicles/bodies, they will be able to make a better determination of speed. There is no doubt that the father will hire the best lawyers, and best forensic engineers in the world. Casting any doubt in the court's mind will likely result in an acquittal.

Commen sense law shows negligence on the part of the Ferrari driver. Hopefully he will serve some time over that. In any event, he will have to live with his own knowledge of the fact he wiped out someone who was sworn to protect his country. (I realize the flames will be thrown out at this statement, as so many believe that every police officer is corrupt in Thailand, however that comes down to assumptions......) He will also be known to everyone as the "guy who killed a cop and his money saved his butt".

Rest in Peace Pol Snr Sgt-Major Wichean Klinprasert.

• Like 2