Thai Immigration To Launch Fast-Track Entry For Tourists

Thai Immigration Bureau to launch fast-track entry for tourists

Phuket Gazette

f1.jpeg

Tourists arriving at Phuket Airport are well-accustomed to long waits at the immigration-clearance counters. Photo: Gazette file

f2.jpeg

An artist's impression of the immigration arrivals queue after the expansion project at the airport is complete. Image: AoT

PHUKET: -- The Commissioner of the Thai Immigration Bureau has announced that a new automated entry system will be installed at all airports in the country, including Phuket. The system will allow passengers to enter the country without having to endure long immigration lines.

The technology, called “Advance Passenger Processing” system, or “APP”, will be installed at all international airports in Thailand within two years, Lt Gen Wiboon Bangphamai told a meeting of Asean immigration chiefs at the Hilton Hotel Phuket Acadia Resort and Spa yesterday.

“The APP system will shorten the immigration clearance process. The system will allow people to just walk through without having to stop to get a stamp [in their passports] or other details checked,” he said.

“The APP system is not ready to use at the moment. We still have to settle the agreement with AoT [Airports of Thailand] about an extra fee that may have to be charged when the system is in place.”

“We proposed a fee of 80 baht per passenger, but that was rejected. So we will offer to make the fee about 40 or 50 baht per passenger,” he added.

The APP system will also be used to check departing international passengers bound for Thailand to see if their names are on the Thai Immigration blacklist. If they happen to be on the blacklist, or are wanted on an outstanding arrest warrant in Thailand, the person who first notices such details could report them to local police for possible arrest, he said.

Assistant Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police Jate Mongkolhutthi, who chaired the conference, told the Phuket Gazette that issues discussed by the international assembly of immigration chiefs included streamlining immigration procedures, increasing mobility of people in the Asean region, overseas terrorism and human trafficking.

“It’s not that we don’t already have the system [enabling immigration officials to perform their tasks effectively]. We do, but what we have is not good enough,” Lt Gen Jate said.

“The Asean Economic Community (AEC) will take effect in 2015. That means many more people are expected to travel to and from Thailand. Therefore, it is necessary for all Asean countries to be able to exchange information with each other,” he explained.

“We want to develop the system because there will be a lot of people coming to Thailand. We don’t know who will be coming through our region; that is why we want to develop a proper system in order to avoid any problems that might arise.”

“Our worst fear is that criminals or terrorists will come to conduct activities or use this region to hide out. Even though there are not that many cases at the moment, we don't want to take a chance,” Gen Jate said.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ists-16862.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-09-07

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hope it works out smile.png

“Our worst fear is that criminals or terrorists will come to conduct activities or use this region to hide out. Even though there are not that many cases at the moment, we don't want to take a chance,” Gen Jate said.

As for that line.....cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

To be fair Blether, most of them are already there driving tuk tuks, taxis and jetski hiring

Sssshhhh!!! Don't tell the General rolleyes.gif

So Thai immigration and AOT have to work out a profit sharing deal before moving forward. Sounds like this system really could be a cash cow. If the fee of 50 baht is applied to the 30 million visitors per year tha's 1.5 billion baht per year ( 48 million dollars). Are these machines really that expensive? Over 10 years that's 15 billion baht, or USD 483 million. In theory using this new system would save on manpower and eliminate old outdated computer systems.

On the other hand, it sure would be nice to proceed through immigration as fast as Singapore which takes on average less than 1 minute per pax.

• Like 2

Frankly, I am very impressed with the artists impression.

Yes indeed, so clever of the artist to air brush out about 98% of the actual queue of people

However; if I'm mistaken on this point, then we must assume that the artist has some strong insight into the real impact on tourism in Phuket following the string of scandals, including murder, over the past couple of years.

I know people keep saying tourism will be impacted, but it seems that more and more people are coming form a wider variety of countries.

• Like 2

Funny that, I'm sure I've read of hundreds of cases over the past decade of crimials hiding out here......

• Like 1

Ever been to KL, that could be a photoshopped image of immigration there.

Exactly, since doing away with Arrival cards one can virtually walk straight thru. Seems it all came about when Malaysian Immigration ran out of Arrival card stock, several times over last few years.

from OP:

The APP system will also be used to check departing international passengers bound for Thailand to see if their names are on the Thai Immigration blacklist. If they happen to be on the blacklist, or are wanted on an outstanding arrest warrant in Thailand, the person who first notices such details could report them to local police for possible arrest, he said.

So, if I'm checking in at LAX and am on the Thai Immigrations blacklist, and the LAX airline rep calls the local police, what the heck would LAPD care if I were on a Thai Immigrations blacklist?

If the LAX airline rep *doesn't* call the police -- the quote says they "could" report them not that they *have* to -- how/when/where would I be stopped?

- impressed how the artist omitted the hundreds of people which we all know will definitely be there (regardless of fast track)?

- impressed at the artists vision? (which we all know will not be the same as the end result!)

I'm guessing there is some international database of "bad boys" available for querying by airlines, but who polices that?

What about people with legal 2nd or 3rd passports?

Will this make the ridiculous "proof of onward travel" more or less effective?

I haven't been through any airport that runs a no-arrival-card regime, so I am guessing here ......

I'm all for an easier life when travelling, but there are so many ways to make that happen apart from immigration delays. Security, check-in and bag-drop could all be streamlined a lot more than at present.

from OP:

So, if I'm checking in at LAX and am on the Thai Immigrations blacklist, and the LAX airline rep calls the local police, what the heck would LAPD care if I were on a Thai Immigrations blacklist?

If the LAX airline rep *doesn't* call the police -- the quote says they "could" report them not that they *have* to -- how/when/where would I be stopped?

I'm guessing that the airline will inform the Thai police and you'll have a reception committee ;)

No more queues at the immigration but a mile long queue at the foriegn exchange desk. Good idea though spoilt by greed, but if its saving employment of Immigration officers why the silly charges.

Typical Thia, no more traffic at soi 25 --we blocked if off,---now its at soi 27....

5 miilion tourist at x50 baht thats errrr a lot of money.

• Like 1

Let's hope it works out smile.png

As for that line.....cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Well if the bomb detectors didn't work, the Immigration system is not likely to detect terrorists or international criminals either.

It would be a nice, easy, and simple start to easing the crowds of those of us who frequently travel within the region and elsewhere as "returning residents", whether on work or other legitimate residency permits (and where ample local government bureauocracy already vets everything any authority would want to know about us frequently, and too often each time for a further 'fee') if Immigration at airports were to would allow those with valid re-entry permits (another unnecessary process, and fee, when the residency permit should be automative confirmation of same!) to line up at the more frequently empty or less crowded "Thai Passports" counters.

But that I am sure has been thought of , No? Too simple? No 'benefit' seen to those working the system?

Meanwhile we just add unnecessarily to the numbers in line of short term visitors, and help exaggerate the amount of 'stress and work' that those officers dealing with "Foreign Passports" feel they have insufficient resources to cope with already.

It is becoming harder to understand how they will ever allow the system to cope with the advances that ASEAN 2015 is designed to bring. Form over substance continues stronger than ever in Thailand while someone has a 'fee' advantage here, and we hasten the view that things are getting more, not less, corrupt in this beautiful land.

A good reason not to make the investments in education so sorely needed - if the greater population ever learn the skills to force permanent change for their betterment, the tumbrils will roll.