English Warranty Valid?

dave111223

I have a Brother multifunction color laser printer that I bought 2 years ago. It currently has a broken plastic part which has rendered it unusable until fixed. According to their English warranty information (and the information that I read at the time of purchase) it comes with a "3 years (onsite service)" warranty:

https://secure.welcome.brother.com/th-en/support-downloads/Register-Products/warranty-terms-conditions.html

Note that it even says:

"Brother can choose to make repairs or replace a product with the buyer does not have to pay the costs of service charge and spare parts."

However Brother is saying that I must pay for the broken part (but not pay for labor), and when looking at the Thai version of the warranty it has an additional section (not shown in the English Warranty) that states they only cover parts for 1 year:

https://secure.welcome.brother.com/th-th/support-downloads/Register-Products/warranty-terms-conditions.html

Can they be held to the English version of the warranty? I have not yet heard the price of the broken part...so it maybe a few 100baht and the point will be moot, but this is 20K+ machine so the part could easily be many 1000s.

It sounds as though they are invoking:

4. Brother is guaranteed against material damage and assembly as guaranteed under the warranty term of products. If the products are damage that caused by the use and maintenance as usual.

and interpreting the part failure as caused by use.

It sounds as though they are invoking:

4. Brother is guaranteed against material damage and assembly as guaranteed under the warranty term of products. If the products are damage that caused by the use and maintenance as usual.

and interpreting the part failure as caused by use.

...that section appears to say they DO cover damage caused by normal use?

Anyway let me turn this into a general rant warning others about this printer. It is a Brother MFC-9120CN, purchased directly from the Brother store at fortune tower for about 22,000THB. It has been nothing but trouble since I bought it. It is used at our shop for printing invoices (which contain some small color product pictures).

The first day I bought it and plugged it in, it wouldn't work, just kept coming up with error messages etc...so I carted it back to the store (this thing is huge and heavy). None of the store techs could get it printing either; it appeared to have some kind of broke toner sensor. So they pulled a "new" one out and gave me that instead. Note that they did make me keep the opened toner/drum from the original broken printer, although about 5 different "techs" had poked, prodded and shaken all of them aggressively...

And although the new one "worked" it has never been right, always printing crap quality that has progressively gotten worse and worse, and lots of bugs that seem to also get worse and worse. Numerous times we've contacted Brother to fix it and they poke it around a bit and it kind of works ok for a few days.

It finally has gotten to the point where EVERY DAY you have to turn it on, clean the drum, shake the toners, run the "calibration" on the menu, run the "auto-register" on the menu, run through some more drum cleaning blank pages. And then you can just about get it to print a sh*t quality page covered in black dots.

A Brother tech came into the shop last week to "fix" it, after he left there was a paper jam and the printer will no longer open (we discover the top is now jammed shut), this is when the next tech came and told us there is a broken part in it that needs replacing...(oh and we have to pay for it)

WHAT A PIECE OF CRAP!!! Not to mention it EATs toner big time, I thought I was being smart buying a color laser instead of a cheapo inkjet...

I have a feeling that the Brother store may well be passing out *poorly* refurbished printers as "new", I mean what are the odds of getting 2 bum new printers in a row?

Edited by dave111223