Condom Vending Machines To Be Installed In Universities

Jai Dee

PUBLIC HEALTH MINISTER SUGGEST THAT ALL UNIVERSITIES INSTALL CONDOM VENDING MACHINES

The Ministry of Public Health is proposing that condom vending machines be installed in all universities, to prevent the AIDS problem among students.

Public Health Minister Phinij Jarusombat (พินิจ จารุสมบัติ) yesterday held a seminar attended by 400 senior officials of the Ministry of Public Health and those from private and state university committees, in finding solutions for behaviors at risk for AIDS.

Mr. Phinij asked for the education institutes' cooperation in establishing health centers especially for giving advice in sex, and suggested that all universities install coin-operated condom vending machines to stimulate condom use. He said there is worrisome information that youths between ages of 15 and 18 were the group with the most abundant number of new patients. Also, surveys indicated that 100% of male vocational students have had sexual intercourse but only 11% used condoms, while 50% of female students had sexual activities but only 15% utilized condoms. The public health minister also said that in some provinces more than half of the vocational students live together as a couple, and this could lead to disease transmission and pregnancy.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 27 January 2006

Curious because this is old news. About two years ago the government said the same thing and uni students protested against it due to 'image' and that it sends the wrong message. Interesting to see what happens this round.

Curious because this is old news. About two years ago the government said the same thing and uni students protested against it due to 'image' and that it sends the wrong message. Interesting to see what happens this round.

I understand that at the time that this student was the ring leader in the "Just Say No To Condoms Movement" that kept condom machines off the campuses.

ns05.jpg

We can only guess at her motivations... :o

Excuse me, but I remember this topic on TV at the time.

I thought it was the "educational establishment" who were up in arms? Not the students.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3245974.stm

Fair enough. I hadn't realised that.

Still, wasn't the original thing about condoms brought up by the establishment ie can't have them on campus?

I'm not convinced that the students' response is anything more than a statement of freedom. If they were serious, surely they'd realise the potential implications of unprotected sex.

The figures quoted by the BBC are frightening, though.

Excuse me, but I remember this topic on TV at the time.

I thought it was the "educational establishment" who were up in arms? Not the students.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3245974.stm

Fair enough. I hadn't realised that.

Still, wasn't the original thing about condoms brought up by the establishment ie can't have them on campus?

I'm not convinced that the students' response is anything more than a statement of freedom. If they were serious, surely they'd realise the potential implications of unprotected sex.

The figures quoted by the BBC are frightening, though.

I suspect you are right. Other articles (can't find them now) mention the academia not too happy either.

Why they want to keep condom machines off the campuses. They dont want others to know what they are planning to do.

post-25584-1138369379_thumb.jpg

Casual sex is a problem involving a small group of students. I can never believe this statement, the reality is that they copied western habbits already which involves rather large groups of students.