Take Charge Of Your Health!

seeker108

Hello All! I think some of you might be interested in this new natural health and community service oriented group in Chiang Mai and the inaugural meeting this Sunday 9/9 (tomorrow!) starting at 2 PM.

https://www.facebook...62045903876086/

https://www.facebook...15820048566424/

At the above FB links you can find more info and directions.

For those interested in learning more about the incredible health value of making your own living and probiotic foods and beverages, sharing knowledge and resources for doing this, actually learning how to do it (or helping to teach others, if you are already expert), getting to meet others with similar interests, swapping and discovering new recipes and generally having fun with a new and growing body of knowledge.

Also part of the group function will be helping each other to locate the best sources for local and organic ingredients, getting bulk co-op pricing and to have a central repository for all of this info.

Plus there will be the fun of helping orphaned Thai children learn all about these things for those who would enjoy being involved in this as a separate project.

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food” - Hippocrates

Hmmm, yummy - Home made root beer, ginger beer, sauerkraut, sourdough bread and dozens of other items your grandparents may have made and all of it probiotically healthy! Plus things you may not yet be familiar with like kefir drinks and cheeses and kombucha.

Come and enjoy the fun!

And learn how to really ramp up your own natural immune system!

And, don't worry, this is not some MLM or venue for selling expensive commercial products, nor is there any religious or ideological affiliation. This is just a new community service and social group for health and fun! And since these probiotic foods not only help increase your beneficial gut flora but also manufacture right in your body a multitude of beneficial vitamins and enzymes you probably will need to buy far less of these items, if any. smile.png And imagine how much medical expense you might save with a healthier and stronger body. thumbsup.gif

Finally, here is a homework assignment. Google kefir (or probiotic) health benefits or some such similar search and see what you find.

wai.gif

• Like 1

"Hmmm, yummy - Home made root beer, ginger beer, sauerkraut, sourdough bread and dozens of other items your grandparents may have made and all of it probiotically healthy!"

Sounds good. It would be great if someone would start a business selling this stuff and other hard to get health foods. Aden finally started selling alfalfa sprouts, but there are many holistic health products that are impossible to find in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

Hi Ulysses, I believe that this will be part of the plan with this group as well as with the project connected with it, with the Chiang Mai Home for Boys. I think they will eventually be distributing many healthy probiotic products through local stores and maybe right at the Home for Boys as well.

I know that members of the group will already be able to get low priced (and some free) kefir cultures. Also they can get super discounted pricing on bulk orders of organic virgin coconut oil, Himalayan salt, and other bulk grains and beans for sprouting or growing. Not sure of all of what will be available and suspect that the list will always be expanding.

"Hmmm, yummy - Home made root beer, ginger beer, sauerkraut, sourdough bread and dozens of other items your grandparents may have made and all of it probiotically healthy!"

Sounds good. It would be great if someone would start a business selling this stuff and other hard to get health foods. Aden finally started selling alfalfa sprouts, but there are many holistic health products that are impossible to find in Chiang Mai.

Newly posted directions from the FB page:

Directions:

The meeting will be at the Chiang Mai Home for Boys. It is located on Thanon Chotana (Hwy 107) (the road that goes to Mae Rim), about 5 km north from super hwy or 2 km north from the City Hall government offices (this is where the first ring rd. intersects with 107) and about 1 km south from 2nd ring road. The property actually stretches all the way west from 107 back to canal road and you could also enter from there, opposite and just south of Huay Tung Tao Reservoir but we will be nearer to 107.

Going North from Chiang Mai on 107, about 1 km North from the City Hall (1st ring road) you will see Nakhorn Ping hospital on the left (there is also a green walkover bridge over 107 at this point). A few hundred meters past this on the right is a Honda car dealership. 100 meters past that on the left is Wat Piyaram. Just after that is a big black sign for the Don Keao Social Service center (may not be the exact name, but close to correct) and just after that you will start to see the deep yellow (almost orange) wall of the orphanage. There is white sign saying Viengping Children's home and pointing left and just after that is the entry gate (gps coordinates for the entry gate: 18.85661,98.967308 ) where it reads Chiang Mai Home for Boys (but you will not really see that sign until you are pulling into the gate). We will be in the meeting room which is about two hundred meters down the internal road that goes along on the north side of the sport field. There should be someone directing traffic but if not just park along that road near the meeting hall. Here are the GPS coordinates for the meeting room itself: 18.856272,98.96505 .

The meeting room will be open by 1:15 PM for socializing before the meeting which will start at 2 PM. I hope this is clear enough and look forward to seeing you there.

One of those links is only open to facebook subscribers. The other link has basic directions to the place, can anyone post up more specific directions to the place?

Wish we had something like this in Bangkok. Maybe we do but i dont know of such a thing. Never tried probiotics but am definately interested in exploring it.

Experts on here please advise... suggestions for supplement that help in this area? I have cut out most sugars (not all, sorry i need a chocolate now and again) but feel i need to take the next step and cultivate the right internal gut mix and not just suppress the crap that cultivates the bad

thanks

Hi cheeryble,

We will see tomorrow. Back in the states 1 litre of organic virgin coconut oil goes for the USD equivalent of around 800 or 900 baht. Here, I believe, 1 full litre (not 700 ml like some bottle sizes are) goes for around 550 baht. I am hoping the member price will be at least 20% to 25% under that. I don't think they can get it much less than that and there should be some extra in there to help support the orphanage project.

How cheap does good quality coconut oil get? It's always been out of my range!

Hi bkkjames

You should start a group down there. BKK could surely use one. :-) Search the internet in the mean time and get expert. Probiotic foods are definitely the ideal replacement food to start putting in the body as this starts to negate all of the bad effects from the nasty things we had put in, in years past. Also things like wheatgrass juice and organic cold pressed coconut oil and sprouted beans, grains and nuts. The key that we all need to learn is making all of this delicious as well as nutritious. Then we happily eat all of the right things.

I do not know of any place in BKK to get this but you can order both the water and milk kefir starter cultures from Joy in KL she charges $15 plus EMS shipping per starter culture. [email protected]

Wish we had something like this in Bangkok. Maybe we do but i dont know of such a thing. Never tried probiotics but am definately interested in exploring it.

Experts on here please advise... suggestions for supplement that help in this area? I have cut out most sugars (not all, sorry i need a chocolate now and again) but feel i need to take the next step and cultivate the right internal gut mix and not just suppress the crap that cultivates the bad

thanks

• Like 1

Hello hellodolly,

Probiotic foods are foods containing live beneficial bacteria and or yeast. Yoghurt is one simple kind of probiotic food usually containing 2 or 3 beneficial bacteria (kefir on the other hand has a combination of 30 different beneficial bacteria and yeast). Having more beneficial flora in our bodies than the bad bacteria, yeasts and viruses is essential to our good health. The "good guys" are the key to our immune systems. Not only do they fight off and kill the bad guys, they also help keep them away by eating the food supply that the "bad guys" would also like to eat.

Unfortunately it seems these days that with age the good guy count in us decreases, while bad increases. This may be more due to our modern consumption of more dead, processed "foods" and less live food than a natural phenomena resulting from being older. In any case putting back more live and probiotic foods back into our diets reverses this condition.

For more expert info than mine do some Google searching or go to the Probiotic Chiang Mai FB page and ask there. :-)

Excuse my lack of knowledge but what is probiotic foods?

Is it Organic or Genetically altered or genetically altered organic food. Or some thing else.

Food with beneficial forms of gut bacteria that help stimulate the natural digestive juices and enzymes that keep our digestive organs functioning properly. http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/probiotic-foods/

Yogurt is probably the most common, but there are many others and many that are not based on dairy.

• Like 1

For those of us that cannot attend I hope you will consider providing an option here on TV for us to participate in also purchasing, those added numbers should help in minimising costs via bulk purchases to all involved.

I had some friends of a relative visit a few years back, I was amazed to see how much alternate food-lifestyles flourish in the old city after going to healthy eateries like Blue Diamond etc after attending a Chi Kung class at Rods (English guy was very good) with them. It really is quite an industry here in old Chiang Mai interspersed between the "where do I find the cheapest most offensive pig out, multi-serving, fat dripping, crap food breakfast in Chiang Mai" post venues.

A fascinating and interesting alternate industry has popped up here silently under many of our radars. I still do my Chi Kung religiously every morning as a start to the day.

Food with beneficial forms of gut bacteria that help stimulate the natural digestive juices and enzymes that keep our digestive organs functioning properly. http://www.globalhea...robiotic-foods/

Yogurt is probably the most common, but there are many others and many that are not based on dairy.

Like Papaya?

And on a few of the first posts they were strong on organic virgin coconut oil.

Edited by hellodolly

Yes, I will post updates here from time to time, but all of the best and most complete updates will be on one or both of the above Facebook links.

Re bulk products, I assume that they will be regularly available at most all future meetups. Also you will probably start seeing more of these kinds of products at reasonable prices in our local health shops. Sure, not as inexpensive, as at this group but much more convenient.

For people who missed this first meeting, but feel they might be interested in joining next time:

we learned about the importance of probiotics for helping prevent illness and maintain good health in our modern world

a world in which mainstream food production and medicines are chemical based and therefore harmful to both people and the environment

we talked about general health concerns, and about food production and the difficulty of getting truly organic produce

we heard brief introductions and descriptions from all participants on their interest in probiotics or any kind of health issue

and much interesting discussion that went back and forth

Very well organised too, and in a great location in terms of helping others in society.

I personally was very glad i went. There was much for me to learn by listening to everybody and their experiences and understandings.

[Keeping healthy is much easier, and more fun, than trying to recover it when it becomes lost...]

• Like 1

Well said! I also completely enjoyed the meeting.

For those interested the next one will be next Sunday at the same location starting at 1:15 for socializing and sharing our new probiotic foods. Making probiotics lesson, with hands on demo will begin at 2 PM.

For people who missed this first meeting, but feel they might be interested in joining next time:

we learned about the importance of probiotics for helping prevent illness and maintain good health in our modern world

a world in which mainstream food production and medicines are chemical based and therefore harmful to both people and the environment

we talked about general health concerns, and about food production and the difficulty of getting truly organic produce

we heard brief introductions and descriptions from all participants on their interest in probiotics or any kind of health issue

and much interesting discussion that went back and forth

Very well organised too, and in a great location in terms of helping others in society.

I personally was very glad i went. There was much for me to learn by listening to everybody and their experiences and understandings.

[Keeping healthy is much easier, and more fun, than trying to recover it when it becomes lost...]