New Seagate Goflex Ext Corruption Issues - Fix Or Return?

bangkokburning

I bought a new drive yesterday. Plugged and played it no issues. I deleted all the backup software and other BS on the drive and off I went on computer A (Win7). Looked fine, transferred my Music Library 160gb.

Moved to computer B. Same OS and I do mean SAME. Get scan and repair dialog. Play with this a bit. Decide to reformat. Do this via Sys Tools. Now the drive disappears and gives me errors with red X.

Stabilize the drive, reformat, reboot, reformat and reboot. Drive appears to be stable. Run defrag on it for fun and then Scandisk with both options checked (finishing now).

HDD can be seen in Dev Mgr and has been req for update driver = no need. No X's or !!

I cannot or do not want to DL seatools to check the drive as it requires .Net 4 which requires me to DL a freaking 900mb file and Seatools. <deleted> is Seagate thinking!

Should the drive simply go back? Can I trust it with valuable photos?

I read on the Internet, that in all likelyhood this is related to perhaps pulling USB out before I/O had completed and-or cached. I MIGHT have done this!

The rest of the gibberish I came across is just guessing

YOUR OPINIONS PLS

load it full, scan it, read SMART Infos.

If OK: Wouldn't trust it 100 % but guess it is OK

If any problems give it back, with some easy explanation "bad segments" or something like that. If you really explain the problem they don't believe you crazy.gif

You might use a partition manager to check for a hidden partition left by Seagate and if so delete it and expand the main partition.

Check the disk health with CrystalDiskInfo or HDTune.

Anyway seems to me you should give it another try. For the copying use backup software like FreeFileSync or Syncback, not Windows Explorer.

Copying errors can occur for various reasons, doesn't necessarily indicate a drive problem.

Thanks. I've chopped it up into about 3 parts and done some smaller copies. Now I am copying the Photos. Next the Music.

I have also unplugged (properly) and reconnected 2x w/o issues.

DL CrystalDiskInfo thx for that

Just such a freak out ya know...

Edited by bangkokburning

Thanks. I've chopped it up into about 3 parts and done some smaller copies. Now I am copying the Photos. Next the Music.

what is the point of making 3 partions? I always use just one big one.

Yeah, just a needless complication. Partition table blows out, you're screwed. Just use 3 folders instead.

Yeah, just a needless complication. Partition table blows out, you're screwed. Just use 3 folders instead.

If the partition table (and the backup) blows out, you're screwed anyway.

yes but where is the advantage in using partitions? Just something more that may make problems

Seagate has a small bootable SeaTools image that runs offline. Not only does it do a great job at diagnosing and fixing bad block issues, it will give a diagnostic code to check on the Seagate site to check warranty status and what to do with the drive.

The SeaTools does give SMART status, but can't fix or reset SMART being tripped. Sometimes SMART gets erroneous data and trips itself.

You can google for SMART reset, but it is more complicated than just running a program.

Sounds like you got a bad one, I'd take it back and get a new one.

Edited by rakman

No, a simple table w/ one partition encompassing the whole drive isn't so hard to rebuild. You ain't necessarily screwed. W/ multiple, you don't know the sizes of the others, where they start & end etc.

There's rights and wrongs in this thread.

If you have a single disc in your computer, it is acceptable to partition it into two volumes, one for the OS and one for programs/data. That way, if you have to reinstall the OS and it requires a format, the other partition remains intact.

On an external drive, this isn't an issue, and folders will do fine.

There's rights and wrongs in this thread.

If you have a single disc in your computer, it is acceptable to partition it into two volumes, one for the OS and one for programs/data. That way, if you have to reinstall the OS and it requires a format, the other partition remains intact.

On an external drive, this isn't an issue, and folders will do fine.

yes, another good reason it's when you have a big HDD and you need to run chkdsk /r in c:

Everything is fine. I have the disk parted into 3 volumes and have always done this with big disks. That is so I can degrag them every so often and it does not take a century to do so. OR...I can remove all the data and reformat the partition. Never any propblems.

Drive is fine and yes, if teh table goes - the table goes so <deleted>? I do tend to keep double and even triple backups of important stuff like photos.

Thx