Quick Comparison Phuket/patong Vs. Pattaya & Feedback

Penangfreak

After a short visit in Patong here a quick comparison to Pattaya.

General:

Last been to Phuket about 15 yrs. ago. Overall the atmosphere still very similar as I remember from those days. Obviously the place is much more built up.

Very good mix of nationalities. Catching: No Indians, Pakistanis etc., Russian couples and families mostly on Kata & Karon Beaches. Few Arab nationals.

Really enjoyed the few days, especially the feeling of being in a holiday town and not in a retirement town mostly catering to old men looking for love and

many of them living on a tight budget, which is not meant negatively, but just somehow defines Pattaya.

Could it be an alternative to live? Not sure, everything is far apart and you will have to drive to enjoy it. The higher cost might be a factor too, for many.

Best fun we had, in the super brand new & HUGE Tiger entertainment complex. Amazingly well done with countless bars and several dance venues.

Phuket: Pattaya:

Beaches: Surprisingly clean and clear, despite rough seas Still terrible after all these years of city-panning and talking points

Hotels: About 25% higher, IMO better choice in Pattaya Great choices & values due to massive competition

Restaurants: 30% higher overall, IMO much better choice in Pattaya Tons of overprices seafood places, hard to find some good choice

without a lot of walking

Thai Staff: Definitely friendlier and more professional in Phuket, due Very mixed, probably due to the tons of Cheap Charlies

to better customer base..??

Beachfront: Patong also not very appealing (but several big projects under construction), IMO a disgrace for a resort town

All beach-fronts much cleaner than Pattaya

Traffic: More respectful, cars actually stop at crossovers, even without No need to talk about it. We all know.

signals, to let pedestrians cross. Overall much less aggressive

Walking Str.: Bangla, Real party atmosphere with great energy and MUCH Reminds more and more of Patpong with the guided tours and

younger crowd. By 3 am mostly closing. Police presence low and less exiting to watch. The holiday party atmosphere is just

key. But appear fast if need, during several minor fights not there. It is all about....you know what...

I have seen in the late party hours.

Girls: Plenty available, younger, prettier, friendlier, more expensive No need to talk about. Often not a nice sight, but often a good

and more picky, as also plenty of good looking guys around. match for their male counterparts.

The scene mostly on Bangna, but still less dominant as most

tourists don't participate.

Taxis: More money, but prices listed, some discussions, but not really Too many pickups...Taxis a rip-off...But what is the solution?

bad, maybe due to low season.

Weather: Probably more rain overall... Almost ideal if you like it hot..

Shopping: Much better in Pattaya. Thousands of shops selling the same rubbish

Condos: Much more choice Seen relatively few

What is your feedback maybe somebody who moved from Phuket to Pattaya....??

I think you did a great assessment. Not everybody will agree with it, but well done. One comment: you didn't see many condos here? Maybe you didn't make it into Naklua, Pratumnak or Jomtien. They're going up by the thousands.

PattayaPhom: If you compare the entire island, then you also need to add places like Bang Saray into the Pattaya mix. Otherwise, just compare Patong to Pattaya proper, right?

As far as beaches, Phuket wins hands down. It's got a great exposure to the open sea, which we don't have here. We're in a bay, which makes the water...well...not as nice. But head out to the islands off the coast of Pattaya and the water is quite clear. Even Koh Larn is pretty nice.

We spent a month looking at Phuket before deciding on Pattaya. One thing we didn't like was the general overall cost there. Much more expensive than here. Plus, in Pattaya, Bangkok is only 2 hours away if you want to do some real shopping or need serious medical attention. And swampy is only 90 minutes or so. Great if you travel a lot.

Plus, the roads there are quite bad. Driving around there would drive me nuts. I also think we do have better weather here. Not as hot, and not as much rain.

Just my humble opinion.wai.gif

• Like 1

I think you did a great assessment. Not everybody will agree with it, but well done. One comment: you didn't see many condos here? Maybe you didn't make it into Naklua, Pratumnak or Jomtien. They're going up by the thousands.

PattayaPhom: If you compare the entire island, then you also need to add places like Bang Saray into the Pattaya mix. Otherwise, just compare Patong to Pattaya proper, right?

As far as beaches, Phuket wins hands down. It's got a great exposure to the open sea, which we don't have here. We're in a bay, which makes the water...well...not as nice. But head out to the islands off the coast of Pattaya and the water is quite clear. Even Koh Larn is pretty nice.

We spent a month looking at Phuket before deciding on Pattaya. One thing we didn't like was the general overall cost there. Much more expensive than here. Plus, in Pattaya, Bangkok is only 2 hours away if you want to do some real shopping or need serious medical attention. And swampy is only 90 minutes or so. Great if you travel a lot.

Plus, the roads there are quite bad. Driving around there would drive me nuts. I also think we do have better weather here. Not as hot, and not as much rain.

Much better summary mate.I dont think the op has lived here,just beer goggles

As lovetotravel said, are we talking Phuket as an island? then please include anything you can reach fro Pattaya within an hour's drive...this includes also Hat Nang Ram which is quite a nice beach. Still...Phuket wins in this department. If you compare only Pattaya cit vs. Patong, I would not nut my foot in the water in either place.

The OP also mentioned that in Pattaya are only overpriced seafood restaurants. Whereas this is certainly true for walking street, there are lots of great and inexpensive seafood restaurants outside the city. In the international food department I tend to give the award to Pattaya, just so much choice within a small area.

If a person takes a certain amount of money he can live in Phuket with that money for 1 year or live in Pattaya on the same amount for 2 years plus travel to the lovely islands close by.

As said, I can count the amount of "over priced seafood restaurants" on my 2 hands and they are mostly on Walking St. Either then that, there are hundreds of great pod priced seafood R's all around Pattaya and as you travel South.

The beaches in Phuket have nothing on Koh Chang.

For me, it's Pattaya all the way.

If a person takes a certain amount of money he can live in Phuket with that money for 1 year or live in Pattaya on the same amount for 2 years plus travel to the lovely islands close by.

As said, I can count the amount of "over priced seafood restaurants" on my 2 hands and they are mostly on Walking St. Either then that, there are hundreds of great pod priced seafood R's all around Pattaya and as you travel South.

The beaches in Phuket have nothing on Koh Chang.

For me, it's Pattaya all the way.

There are a few really nice beaches in Phuket. Problem is, for part of the year, you can't swim due to the heavy surf!!

Thanks LOVETOTRAVEL...I stand corrected, mixup...Yes you are right, Pattaya offers a huge choice of condos, but could not find many in Phuket. Thanks for a positive and friendly feedback. and have a nice weekend.

on the subject of surf:

A couple of years ago I was at Surin Beach and there was quite a good surf, waves probably over a meter high and I thought...hey that's fun to jump in. Jeeeez...I had a hard time to get out again! very strong undercurrent!

Now I did a bit of research as i was many years ago at the French Biscaya and I remember waves of probably 3 meters tall and it was not much of a problem to get in and out.

The difference is:

a) there is indeed a much stronger undercurrent in Phuket that sucks you back into the water and

B) the frequency of the waves is higher, giving you less time to refresh between the waves.

on the subject of surf:

A couple of years ago I was at Surin Beach and there was quite a good surf, waves probably over a meter high and I thought...hey that's fun to jump in. Jeeeez...I had a hard time to get out again! very strong undercurrent!

Now I did a bit of research as i was many years ago at the French Biscaya and I remember waves of probably 3 meters tall and it was not much of a problem to get in and out.

The difference is:

a) there is indeed a much stronger undercurrent in Phuket that sucks you back into the water and

cool.png the frequency of the waves is higher, giving you less time to refresh between the waves.

If you study a surf beach closely, you can see the rip currents. It's where the surf is broken. If you can't easily get back in, swim parallel to the beach until you're out of the rip and into an unbroken surf zone. It may seem a bit scary until you get the hang of it.

Edited by tropo

I thought people were drowning because they had too much bratwurst sauerkraut and beer before going into the water

cheesy.gif Great, for a change we have some positive and humorous people on board...Yeah, been swimming on Kata, Karon and Patong beach the last week. Rather rough and you better know swimming well if you wanna go through the breakers.

BTW. Been looking out for Jet-Ski Scams....Not seen any....Quite the opposite, the guys working for these outfits very friendly, funny and talkative. Overall I have met much friendlier Thais here than in Pattaya, without wanting to generalize.

Traffic police active and getting Farangs & Thais alike. Tourist police very low key, friendly, not" heavily" armed and not showing in large groups.

Sea & Beaches very clean, even Patong. Stil coral & fisglife between Karon & Kata. Defintely much better than Koh Chnag, which I know well. No broken glass, plastic and other rubbish. Still have not found a choice of decent, fair price restaurants. Bu surely they must be around.

Within 15 minutes bike ride some almost deserted bays and beaches.

Great! Coming back soon.

I was in Phuket just a few days ago. Quite honestly I would still choose Pattaya over Phuket any day. Firstly it is cost, my partner quickly points out and compares prices with food. Somtam Pattaya 30 baht, Somtam Phuket 60 baht up. Fish is quoted at 100 gram prices at restaurants where in Pattaya it is quoted as a whole fish price. It is geared highly towards slugging the tourist as much as they can get. I heard a farang female trying to get a tuk tuk "just up the road" and they wanted 100 baht, Pattaya 10 baht.

I have a room with cable TV, Fridge, Air con and hot water in Pattaya for 6,000 baht per Month, not quite that cheap on the beach in Phuket (although you can dig deep and find).

Weather in Pattaya is better, less rain. Beer is cheaper, can buy for 45 to 50 baht a singha in many many bars in Pattaya. In Phuket they make a big whoop whoop about 70 baht beers in Bangla, big deal hey.

Sorry, give me Pattaya anyday. And if you like go go bars then Pattaya wins hands down.

However, I will say for a break away it's ok and a cheap Air Asia flight will make it all possible.

• Like 1

on the subject of surf:

The difference is:

cool.png the frequency of the waves is higher, giving you less time to refresh between the waves.

If you study a surf beach closely, you can see the rip currents. It's where the surf is broken. If you can't easily get back in, swim parallel to the beach until you're out of the rip and into an unbroken surf zone. It may seem a bit scary until you get the hang of it.

Agreed, and we rarely agree on anything.

You can see the rips from the shore, and there are lots in Phuket.

Patong is a dump, worse than anything I have seen in Pattaya. It is also expensive.

Plus it rains for months at a time.

Pattaya is far better.

on the subject of surf:

The difference is:

Agreed, and we rarely agree on anything.

You can see the rips from the shore, and there are lots in Phuket.

Patong is a dump, worse than anything I have seen in Pattaya. It is also expensive.

Plus it rains for months at a time.

Pattaya is far better.

ummm interesting?

I would have to say for the most part I Gree with the info presented bere!

Although in the eyes of a surfer there is no real choice between the to!

If I want the waves ? It is phuket !

And yes if you want phuket ? It will cost more to be there!

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Thaivisa Connect App

Ooh. These younger kids so much cooler than us Pattaya people. They can't go to Pattaya. They have to go to Phuket where supposedly they don't have to pay. Yeah.. dry.png

I think avoiding the hooligans and backpackers is the best benefit of staying in Pattaya.bah.gif

Don't have to pay for what? Was there a deleted post I missed? I defend Pattaya however it is personal choice where people want to travel and why be sarcastic? Phuket is a more "Family oriented" tourist attraction and gets a younger crowd then Pattaya but was does that mean? Up to them really.

I don't see many "backpackers" in Pattaya. Avoiding them is a "benefit"?

Anyways both places have their beauty in certain ways but I just prefer to LIVE in Pattaya.

Phuket is a more "Family oriented" tourist attraction and gets a younger crowd then Pattaya but was does that mean? Up to them really.

A younger crowd? It's a pretty young crowd in Pattaya these days. Walking Street is packed with youngins every night.

Phuket is a more "Family oriented" tourist attraction and gets a younger crowd then Pattaya but was does that mean? Up to them really.

A younger crowd? It's a pretty young crowd in Pattaya these days. Walking Street is packed with youngins every night.

I know but it's just fact. Phuket offers more Diving, snorkelling, Jungle tours etc and is known for family and younger orientated crowds.