Radio News In English

troysantos

I live in Warin Chamrap district, Ubon province. I'd really like to listen to news in English, on the radio. It'd be the most convenient way for me to get news in English. I am guessing it's possible to get BBC and / or VOA on one radio station or another, sometime during the day. Or, news in English read by Thais if that's available on some station or another.

Thanks much.

I occasionally get VOA on shortwave but it is such a pain it isn't worth it. I am yet to find an English on standard radio channels in or around Ubon. It would seem that you have internet so just do what I do and stream it to your computer or your smart phone. Choice of thousands of channels with perfect reception.

If you have a smart phone or ipad then add an app called "tune in radio".

This allows you to listen to any....yes any!!!!....radio station in the world.

I listen to talk sport from London and radio five live too. This includes the smallest local stations as well.

HL biggrin.png

Even the worst possible internet connections via "aircard" (USB stick) would allow you to listen to news programs in english or other western language (like german for me).

For months after my arrival listening to the radio was my main source of information and entertainment (german satellite TV is quite boring).

I assume you are aware that with some investment you can watch BBC world news via satellite TV in Thailand (at no running cost)?

• Like 1

Quote:

"Even the worst possible internet connections via "aircard" (USB stick) would allow you to listen to news programs in english or other western language"

More than 2 years ago the quote above would be true in the most upper part of Issaan when using a laptop and e.g. Audials9 Radiotracker. Currently when using an internet AIS 3GandGPRSUnlimited799B SIM card the audio seems stops repeatedly after every few seconds. Playing radio stations on a small mobile GSM phone while using an AIS SIM card for phones works quite good.

So, currently (2012) I would nobody recommend listening to internet radios via an AIS "aircard" USB stick. Haven't tried other providers.

Sounds like I haven't experienced the worst connections.

AND I forgot to mention, that one should look for small bandwidth streams (usually the smallest is 56 kB/s).

Some stations use high bandwidth for quality reasons.

If that does not work, you are really lost.

I did so for months with little problems.

There is no good explanation why an AIS Simcard in a phone provides better quality that in a USB stick at the PC.

Eexcept maybe that other internet traffic (downloads, updates) is running.

Guess there is a problem with the computer or bad signal quality (reception) at the aircard.

In such case connect the aircard with a USB cable and place it so, that reception improves.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Ya know, I neglected to say that I was only looking for English news on the radio. But of course I have an internet connection and just decided to download some news by podcasts. Silly of me to cling to the idea that I had to get it on radio. Thanks for pounding it into me to get my news via internet.

Never mind. More than 10 years ago I was using shortwave radio as the ONLY source of news in the Thai village on my few day visits.

Nowadays shortwave radio is sooo exotic smile.png (like doing Super 8 film in the digital video age).