Farang Selling A Motor Vehicle

Yorkie

I am aware that in order for a farang to own a motor vehicle, one of the requirements is to provide a "proof of residence" document obtained from your local immigration office (Bht 500.00). This I did when I purchased mine.

I have recently sold the vehicle and today I went to the licence office (Surin) to transfer the logbook. They refused to transfer the logbook until I obtained a "proof of residence" from immigration.

In my opinion, this makes no sense whatsoever.

Note: I searched the forum for a similar post but came up with zero.

Cheers

Just to make it clear for future buyers/sellers, I sold the vehicle 3 years ago for the first time, however, the new owner (farang) was unable to "own" the car on his tourist visa, therefore the logbook remained in my name. This time (on behalf of the previous "owner") I sold the vehicle two weeks ago. This time to a Thai therefore the logbook could be transferred.

Just to make it clear for future buyers/sellers, I sold the vehicle 3 years ago for the first time, however, the new owner (farang) was unable to "own" the car on his tourist visa, therefore the logbook remained in my name. This time (on behalf of the previous "owner") I sold the vehicle two weeks ago. This time to a Thai therefore the logbook could be transferred.

Kind of visa has no impact on transfer. Also on visa exempt entry a proof of address can be obtained and so transfer can be done.

Kind of visa has no impact on transfer. Also on visa exempt entry a proof of address can be obtained and so transfer can be done.

I had no idea that you were entitled to officially own a vehicle on a tourist visa, never mind a 30 day exemption. As far as obtaining a "proof of address" whilst visiting Thailand on an exemption, I wouldn't have a clue how to do this.

Edited by Yorkie

I had no idea that you were entitled to officially own a vehicle on a tourist visa, never mind a 30 day exemption. As far as obtaining a "proof of address" whilst visiting Thailand on an exemption, I wouldn't have a clue how to do this.

Same as always: immigration.

How would you get proof of residence with a 30 day exemption stamp? (if your not on any tabien baan)

I'm due to renew my drivers license soon (will be on a 30 day stamp) and I'd sooner give 500b to immigration, then 2800 to the UK embassy

How would you get proof of residence with a 30 day exemption stamp? (if your not on any tabien baan)

I'm due to renew my drivers license soon (will be on a 30 day stamp) and I'd sooner give 500b to immigration, then 2800 to the UK embassy

By going to immigration with rental contract/electricity/water invoice, etc. Again: same as with visa.

But if you're staying in a hotel? Or if you're touring, a number of hotels? I am aware that it is a legal requirement for a farang to inform immigration should they relocate to an address other than that detailed on their entry card (or spend more than 24 hours from their "registered" address) but I am not aware that anyone actually complies with this. I know hotels are obliged to report the whereabouts of farangs but I believe only the large chains comply with this obligation(?)

But if you're staying in a hotel? Or if you're touring, a number of hotels? I am aware that it is a legal requirement for a farang to inform immigration should they relocate to an address other than that detailed on their entry card (or spend more than 24 hours from their "registered" address) but I am not aware that anyone actually complies with this. I know hotels are obliged to report the whereabouts of farangs but I believe only the large chains comply with this obligation(?)

Well, if you're staying in hotels without any address why would you buy a car?

Anyway, the rule is easy: one needs a proof of address to buy/sell a car, and also with tourist exempt entry one can get that.

Well, if you're staying in hotels without any address why would you buy a car?

It's a hypothetical question. I was on a retirement extension. I've let it lapse because I'm moving to another country. I've returned to Thailand temporarily to sell my vehicle.

Edited because I should read the text before I post!

Edited by Yorkie