Thief Stole My Helmet

CMweb

I went on Saturday in airport plaza, my helmet like always on my bike, hang on the mirror.

When I went back, my helmet was gone, stolen from a not nice person, the most funny, he left his old ugly helmet on my bike so I could drive without getting a ticket from the cops.

It was only a 1800 THB helmet but still I was angry, should I have gone to the guards who take care of the parking? Or is this useless?

I know Thailand is normally save, but how many times this is happen?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a rarity, but like all societies there are opportunistic thieves and an 1,800 baht helmet is probably way better than most Thai helmets. Of course it could have been taken by another farang, I've seen lots wearing cheap old helmets...

I guess you have a simple choice, take it with you or leave it on the bike.

Or lock it to the bike, ring on strap can usually be locked to something under the seat with helmet outside, my big bike has a lock specifically for this. Yes, the strap could be cut but would massively reducs chance of theft.

I've had two helmets stolen in 5 years here, both times the helmet was on the mirror.

On the positive, both helmets were over a year old forcing me to buy a replacement for something already probably not worth wearing anymore. The sun and damp ruin them.

OP the guards wouldn't do anything, you would just be wasting your time.

For what are the guards anyway , I don’t see a point in this job whistling.gif

Or lock it to the bike, ring on strap can usually be locked to something under the seat with helmet outside, my big bike has a lock specifically for this. Yes, the strap could be cut but would massively reducs chance of theft.

I've had two helmets stolen in 5 years here, both times the helmet was on the mirror.

On the positive, both helmets were over a year old forcing me to buy a replacement for something already probably not worth wearing anymore. The sun and damp ruin them.

Mine was only 1 moth old, I thought the other day to buy one with Bluetooth, but now I think its better to stay with a cheap one.

I have no option to lock the helmet, need to find a solution for this.

Oh dear..............

But, how nice and thoughtful of him ( or her ) to leave you their old one.

Be pleased.

Yes very very nice from him angry.png

Had one helmet stolen, just purchased a week before, parked way up the road from the old Spicey entrance a few years ago at night.

During the daytime, I rarely bother with the following method. Just throw it in the basket on the scooter.

But at night, in edgy circumstances, I just use a little tiny brass padlock, that I keep permanently attached through the Wave basket, and lock it down there using the ring on the helmet strap.

On the CBR250, it has a convoluted plastic sheathed braided cable under the seat, that I only have used when traveling out of town on a road trip- way too complicated; I'm not joking 3 minutes to attach properly, and get the seat to lock without damaging something.

The problem with the built in secure system on the scooters and other bikes (lift the lockable seat up, attach ring from helmet strap, close seat) is that the helmet sits out way to the centerline of the bike.

With motorsai parked within millimeters of another (sometimes with footpegs interlocked) it is guaranteed that some Barney the Purple Dinosaur will come along, pull his POS next to yours out, and gouge the living cr_p out of your helmet hanging off to the side. That has happened to me as well.

Buying a big lockable box for the helmet attached to the back is certainly an option...but not for me. I ride motorcycles, not DorkMobiles...no offence intended to those who have these items on their personal vehicles.

Sorry to hear about your loss...ermm.gif

• Like 1

In the night time I take the helmet with me, but this was on the day time on a large open space parking where you can see everything easy, I never thought somebody would steal in this location, way too risky to be catch

In the night time I take the helmet with me, but this was on the day time on a large open space parking where you can see everything easy, I never thought somebody would steal in this location, way too risky to be catch

That motor cycle parking area is big and is often jam packed with bikes. If a person sat on their bike and took the helmet off the bike next to them and put theirs on the wing mirror, no-one would ever notice. It's not risky at all as there is no security and I'm sure whoever took it made sure the area was clear of people.

Had one helmet stolen, just purchased a week before, parked way up the road from the old Spicey entrance a few years ago at night.

During the daytime, I rarely bother with the following method. Just throw it in the basket on the scooter.

But at night, in edgy circumstances, I just use a little tiny brass padlock, that I keep permanently attached through the Wave basket, and lock it down there using the ring on the helmet strap.

On the CBR250, it has a convoluted plastic sheathed braided cable under the seat, that I only have used when traveling out of town on a road trip- way too complicated; I'm not joking 3 minutes to attach properly, and get the seat to lock without damaging something.

The problem with the built in secure system on the scooters and other bikes (lift the lockable seat up, attach ring from helmet strap, close seat) is that the helmet sits out way to the centerline of the bike.

With motorsai parked within millimeters of another (sometimes with footpegs interlocked) it is guaranteed that some Barney the Purple Dinosaur will come along, pull his POS next to yours out, and gouge the living cr_p out of your helmet hanging off to the side. That has happened to me as well.

Buying a big lockable box for the helmet attached to the back is certainly an option...but not for me. I ride motorcycles, not DorkMobiles...no offence intended to those who have these items on their personal vehicles.

Sorry to hear about your loss...ermm.gif

DORKMOBILES!!!!! lol

Not just Thailand... In the states I wear a full face helmet and thread a plastic coated steel cable lock through it when I park. If not, I'd be replacing a helmet every week. I doubt the thief would leave me an old one in return! Sucks to hear about your experience, though, and hope you do what you need to do to secure your gear in the future.

Oh dear..............

But, how nice and thoughtful of him ( or her ) to leave you their old one.

Be pleased.

He was probably laughing when he replaced it with his old helmet, as a matter of fact he was probably giggling like a school girl with his buddy that was with him.

I can understand the sun affecting the color but if the helmet can deteriorate do to rain and sun how much good would it be in a serious accident. I thought they were all made of plastic or a better material.

It's a rarity, but like all societies there are opportunistic thieves and an 1,800 baht helmet is probably way better than most Thai helmets. Of course it could have been taken by another farang, I've seen lots wearing cheap old helmets...

I guess you have a simple choice, take it with you or leave it on the bike.

Or better still , get a relatively secure top box or equivalent to store your hat. It really is the pits , stealing crash helmets and hope you reported it to security .

OP, you learned a lesson, but might add, it would happen in farangland too. sad.png

hardly...in the UK you would be hard pushed to even see a motorbike..a rarity indeed

When were you last in the UK, the 1890's?, and if you left your helmet on your mirror there it would be nicked guaranteed!