My Dream Of Becoming A Thai

What makes you think Thailand is any different from China? There are opportunities everywhere - even Thailand - for people who have the ability. Maybe you don't, and thankfully the people that can never listen to people who always say can not.

In China Visas are easier, wages are much higher and you can own a property.

That's three good reasons for thinking China is better as a work place.

Agreed. Also, China is one of the main reasons many businesses in this country are doing well. I am a business partner of a local business owner in Thailand, but the customers are all Chinese and the whole company may eventually be purchased by the Chinese, like so many other competitors before it.

I also think that it's easier to get someone to listen to you and invest some money in a business idea (if you have one) in China than it is in Thailand. The large pool of wealthy businessmen there makes this a lot easier than in Thailand where the pool of comparable businessmen is obviously much more limited.

With the right attitude and a bit of luck, anything is possible, but I still think the OP should carefully consider his options, perhaps make a sightseeing trip to acquaint himself for a month or so, doing as much groundwork as he can and if he is still convinced that Thailand is the place, consider going ahead. If not, continue to stay in China and then think about coming to Thailand at a later stage.

Edited by Tomtomtom69
  • Like 1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with tomtomtom69, I have been doing business with various partners in china for the last 10 years and I have always found the business partners to be receptive to new ideas

I still suggest the same jean make your money in china so that you have enough to support your time in Thailand

When u are single it's fine to go solo on expenses having a good Thai wife and children means the financial responsibilities will pile up

As u intend to stay here the long haul and still in your 30s it's good to maximize that to eliminate future headaches

Best of luck

I think you need to do a bit more research, Tommo.

Most posters seem to agree with me.

You might be the one needing more research.

I've lived in both China and Thailand. Have you?

I know many foreigners who have lived in Thailand for 20+ years, yet know nothing about Thailand and don't speak a word of the language.

I think you need to do a bit more research, Tommo.

Most posters seem to agree with me.

You might be the one needing more research.

I've lived in both China and Thailand. Have you?

I know many foreigners who have lived in Thailand for 20+ years, yet know nothing about Thailand and don't speak a word of the language.

As do I.

And most are not as happy here as the ones who do.

Agree with newlymintedthai on this one ...just ask the Thais what they think of the farangs who live here for 20 years and cannot speak Thai ..a disgusted smile is what they have for you ...wai !

Speaking the language opens the door to many places and experiences you will never get if you speak only English

Agree with newlymintedthai on this one ...just ask the Thais what they think of the farangs who live here for 20 years and cannot speak Thai ..a disgusted smile is what they have for you

The same as Brits and Americans and Germans have for people who have lived in their countries for years and still can't communicate in English or German or what have you.

I moved to Thailand 5 years ago. I was not much older than you when I moved to here. I have a degree and it is possible for me to find work in BKK. I worked in BKK for a while and got a good income. I didn't like the life in a big city so I stopped working there. With this decision my chances to have a rich/comfortable life went away.

Without a degree your chances of finding any legal job (with work permit) here are very low, unless you want to become a low paid English teacher (and get a TEFL certificate). If you live outside of Bangkok your chances of finding a job are very low, even if you've a degree.

Most foreigners that live here have savings, secretly help their wife in her business, get income from investment, or do some illegal work. The group of well paid expats is rather small (and almost all of them have a degree and management experience).

Your chances of ever getting Thai nationality are extremely low (because it will be very hard for you to get a well paying job and everything is about money/taxes here).

I think life is good here and I am happy here, but I can tell you: if you're still young, without degree, live will be a struggle here. I honestly can say that for me and my family it's also struggle, but we can survive and I am happy here.

Taking into account your experience, I think you should look for online IT work.

Edited by kriswillems

I'd start by posing the question of how sensible a retirement location China is on any of the China expat forums. I'm pretty sure you'll be greated with howls of laughter.

China is for getting in, maybe making some money while gritting and bearing the awful quality of life, and getting out as quickly as possible.

Absolutely horrid place.

I'd start by posing the question of how sensible a retirement location China is on any of the China expat forums. I'm pretty sure you'll be greated with howls of laughter.

China is for getting in, maybe making some money while gritting and bearing the awful quality of life, and getting out as quickly as possible.

Absolutely horrid place.

I did 10 years there working in 8 different provinces. It was a struggle every day to keep everyone from taking a bite out of your ass. They do not like foreigners in their country and they make no bones about it. I was back there two months ago to get the last of my things out and felt a huge load off of my shoulders knowing that I never have to go back to that cesspool of a place.

I moved to Thailand 5 years ago. I was not much older than you when I moved to here. I have a degree and it is possible for me to find work in BKK. I worked in BKK for a while and got a good income. I didn't like the life in a big city so I stopped working there. With this decision my chances to have a rich/comfortable life went away.

Without a degree your chances of finding any legal job (with work permit) here are very low, unless you want to become a low paid English teacher (and get a TEFL certificate). If you live outside of Bangkok your chances of finding a job are very low, even if you've a degree.

Most foreigners that live here have savings, secretly help their wife in her business, get income from investment, or do some illegal work. The group of well paid expats is rather small (and almost all of them have a degree and management experience).

Your chances of ever getting Thai nationality are extremely low (because it will be very hard for you to get a well paying job and everything is about money/taxes here).

I think life is good here and I am happy here, but I can tell you: if you're still young, without degree, live will be a struggle here. I honestly can say that for me and my family it's also struggle, but we can survive and I am happy here.

Taking into account your experience, I think you should look for online IT work.

Out of my own curiosity, what is your degree in and how did you go about finding work in Bangkok? I'm personally acquainted with two young foreigners who are making decent lives for themselves in Thailand. However, I believe what was essential to their success was the connections that they or their families had. One guy runs his own small language school and makes 1,000-2,000 baht per hour teaching English to Thai lawyers and businessmen on the side. He's fluent in Thai, and had spent a lot of his early childhood in Thailand while his mother worked with the UN. The other gentleman I'm referring to is not yet 30, but is making a considerable sum working in agriculture exports. He moved to Thailand, where he studied and graduated from college and became fluent in Thai. However, it still took him almost two years to find any sort of employment, and his eventual success was due to the good graces of family friends. He's now making a good salary by Western standards, and is proof that it can be done, it just takes a lot of hard work and, most importantly, knowing the right people and being in the right place at the right time!

>Out of my own curiosity, what is your degree in and how did you go about finding work in Bangkok?

I've a (european) masters degree in electronics and IT. I have nice resume (worked for many well known international companies as a developer of high-tech equipment).

I can read, speak and write Thai (but not on the level of a native speaker). I didn't need any Thai language for my job.

I used Thai websites to look for a job.

I didn't have any connection/friends/family helping me in my job hunt.

If you would go back to BKK, I think I would be able to job again in short time. Outside BKK it's almost impossible to find a job. Without a degree it's very hard to find any job anywhere in Thailand

Edited by kriswillems

I was very successful in what i do back in my home country,

i got reputation, status and huge income...

but i was not happy...

I came here to unite with my family and i started a new life,

chose a new profession (farming),

i was persistence, believing in "what he (Thai) can do, why can't i !?!!"

I'm didn't do anything wrong so i go and find "what he did right"

I better it and improve, making ฿million while he made just fine.

Priority in life, no regrets... just do it, sometimes it will just turn out alright~ thumbsup.gif

Edited by RedBullHorn
  • Like 2

Jean, I'm in your general age range, and I've lived in Thailand for several years now. Although this forum is generally good for advice regarding moving to Thailand, there's a lot of washed up former sex tourists who've been scammed into lifelong commitments to bar girls here. Many of them post to this forum. You can safely ignore their advice (they don't usually like young folks such as us, and will try to scare you away), but don't ignore their existence, and absolutely do not become one of them, if you have any choice in the matter.

If you don't have a degree, and you're having trouble finding a job, I'd recommend obtaining your degree in Thailand. Most Thai universities have very affordable international programs. If you're worried about the competitiveness of the degree, keep in mind that it'll be very competitive within Thailand, and should you wish to keep studying, it can serve as a potential stepping stone to a more competitive degree from a foreign school.

You may not need that, though. I have several friends who have successfully started their own businesses here in Bangkok (in graphic design and photography). If you're not doing typical farang work (teaching English), then being able to speak Thai will greatly increase your competitiveness. It will also greatly increase your enjoyment of your time in Thailand, and will make having a social life considerably easier.

Regarding 'becoming Thai' - well, as people have said before, it's possible but very difficult. Personally, I have no desire to become Thai. Sure, I'd like to live here (or at least keep returning) my entire life, but I would not exchange my US passport for a Thai passport. I'm fine with any inconveniences that may be thrown at non-citizens who live here... they're very minor compared to what foreigners in western countries are forced to deal with anyway. If you truly wish to become a citizen, go for it, and don't let anyone stop you... but do keep in mind that you can involve yourself with the culture and community here in Thailand without becoming a citizen.

• Like 2

You actually stated in the OP that you dream of becoming a Thai,don't you think you should live in that country first for a considerable amount of time to understand your "dream" better?

Only then can you make sound judgments instead of asking people who really don't know you,how to do something that is extremely difficult to do even if you wanted to!

Realism is sometimes hurtful.

Ever heard of the child visiting a firefighter station and dreamed to be a firefighter ? Or the other one that went in the plane for the first time and wanted to be a pilot ?

Follow your heart

Yes, as they got older they researched what they would need to do to become a Firefighter/Pilot. They then educated themselves to a standard where they could apply to train as a Firefighter/Pilot. When they completed their training successfully they were then able to achieve their dream.

The guy that turns up at the Airport aged 30 and says can someone tell me how I get to fly one of those planes, rarely achieves his dream.

Edited by I Like Thai

You actually stated in the OP that you dream of becoming a Thai,don't you think you should live in that country first for a considerable amount of time to understand your "dream" better?

Only then can you make sound judgments instead of asking people who really don't know you,how to do something that is extremely difficult to do even if you wanted to!

Realism is sometimes hurtful.

Ever heard of the child visiting a firefighter station and dreamed to be a firefighter ? Or the other one that went in the plane for the first time and wanted to be a pilot ?

Follow your heart

Yes, as they got older they researched what they would need to do to become a Firefighter/Pilot. They then educated themselves to a standard where they could apply to train as a Firefighter/Pilot. When they completed their training successfully they were then able to achieve their dream.

The guy that turns up at the Airport aged 30 and says can someone tell me how I get to fly one of those planes, rarely achieves his dream.

Yeah, because deciding to become a pilot at 30 and deciding to move to Thailand at 30 are totally the same thing.

Go for it, I say. Despite the obstacles put in your way you can overcome them quite easily in my opinion.

Don't stop chasing the dream and if you work hard enough and have a certain amount of luck you can achieve your dream.

I'm talking about making a success of yourself in Thailand, not of becoming a Thai, of which I know nothing about.

Good luck.

If I can do it, anyone can.

I totaly understand you. I fell in love with the country when I first came here on holiday 15 years ago. Married my thai wife and we worked back in the west for 11 years. Moved to los a few years ago and are 300% more happy. So go for it! But only if money and luxury is not that important for you. I left a big paying job for the hard work and few bath of a farmer. I don't mind and am young enough to be able to do it.

Forget about bangkok,chiang mai or any other touristy areas. You will need a ba or ma, credentials, thai language and there is a lot of competition from locals and farangs. Best chances are in the isaan or south as an english teacher(get a tefl in thailand).see if you like living here.

I was a teacher here before I started my pig farm and you realy get to know the people this way (but not in the big cities, only when you are only one of the few farangs). Money will be only about 20000 to 30000 bath a month but you don't need much in this area.

Or if you have the capital start a business. But you will need thai partners so if you don't have a thai wife this is risky ( even with many of them it is).

But if its truly your dream just do it.

Sent from my GT-S6102 using Thaivisa Connect App

Follow your heart, the journey is the reward. My only advice is to make sure you are running towards something and not running away from something.

I am in the same boat as you are, and just started living in Chiang Mai. I am getting my feet wet, submersing myself in the culture for a while, and actually finding out whether the 'calling' of Thailand is actually real or just me being blissfully ignorant! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1