British Nationality For Children After Divorce

Firstly appologies as I am sure this question has been asked before.

I did try and use the search function but could not find relevent information.

So the story is Married, two kids with a thai wife. Now divorced kids are 13 & 15.

I would like to get them British nationality ( duel in reality ) so will the British government allow this.

The mother is supportive.

I do not live in Uk at the moment but will be returning there shortly.

Many thanks in advance and appologies again as I am sure this is not a new question

The rules can be rather complicated but assuming you are their natural father and and a British Citizen you can get a UK passport for your children.

Any subsequent divorce by you and their mother would not alter the fact that you are their father and their right to British Citizenship.

I would get the ball rolling if I were you.

Okey Dokey, good to hear, I am sure it wil be a pain in buttocks in terms of paperwork, but well worth it for the kids.

thanks for swift reply K

May not be lots of paperwork one assumes you registered them when they were born with the British authories ?

It's worthy of note that registering the children with the Embassy isn't a requirement, and doing so doesn't make the child a British Citizen.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-thailand/how-register-birth/

The test is applying for a passport for them, I suggest that's what you do in the first instance. You are the key to their citizenship, though the mother does have to give her ok.

As it's their first passport you have to do so via the UK Embassy in Bangkok, they send the documents to Hong Kong for processing and the passport comes from the UK.

http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/what-passport/children-under-16/