Pattaya On A Budget Is It Really Worth It ?

yoslim

I've been living in pattaya for nearly 2 years on a budget. the fear of inflation has turned me into a super cheap charlie; I don't go out much, if I do I won't spend more than a few 100's and I'm so cheap I won't even look at taking a girl back home. All I think about is saving up for a rainy day, should I go back home ?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't think of much worse really, pretty much every non thai settled in Pattaya went there on a holiday first so knows what it has on offer and to enjoy, to be there and not even treat yourself to a night out and staying confined to your room is the pits, I returned back to the UK after living out there for 8 years as my line of work was running thin and I couldn't face running low on funds and end up like how some of the desperates I had seen there who started with money and had spent it all....

If it's that bad that you need to take a long hard look at your position and have the attitude I have now, at least I gave it a go...now I am settled and earning in the UK I can holiday there(Thailand) and enjoy all the benefits it has to offer, I also have changed my opinion that Thailand/Asia was the be all and end all and now enjoy holidaying in other countries too....

good luck

Edited by norrona
  • Like 1

I couldn't think of much worse really, pretty much every non thai settled in Pattaya went there on a holiday first so knows what it has on offer and to enjoy, to be there and not even treat yourself to a night out and staying confined to your room is the pits, I returned back to the UK after living out there for 8 years as my line of work was running thin and I couldn't face running low on funds and end up like how some of the desperates I had seen there who started with money and had spent it all....

If it's that bad that you need to take a long hard look at your position and have the attitude I have now, at least I gave it a go...now I am settled and earning in the UK I can holiday there(Thailand) and enjoy all the benefits it has to offer, I also have changed my opinion that Thailand/Asia was the be all and end all and now enjoy holidaying in other countries too....

good luck

good answer

charlie

To make things straight I'm not broke but I don't allow myself to spend anything more than the basics (food, electric, insurances, gym, visa, internet..) as I live in fear of what comes next.. with today's world economy how will it be in thailand in 20 years

To make things straight I'm not broke but I don't allow myself to spend anything more than the basics (food, electric, insurances, gym, visa, internet..) as I live in fear of what comes next.. with today's world economy how will it be in thailand in 20 years

If in doubt financially or economoically, than I would suggest get back to making some money or increasing your income and build things up so you can weather the things you claim to be fretting about.

Better to take your chances here then kid yourself everything back home is hunky dory and you made the right decision to return. And return to what exactly a life of misery that's what, f'that soldier on here and enjoy the sun fella.

• Like 2

I used to have a complete blast at living cheap & comparing happy hour prices at various gogo first couple of years, i was truly satisfied when i got home drunk at 800 baht including taxi.

For some reason i lost both ability & incentive of that life along the road,

but i wasnt more happy after spending 2000 a night

I live a normal life in Pattaya but with the high crime rate, corrupt BIB, falang always wrong etc... I'm even getting worried going out at night ermm.gif

The "corrupt BIB" won't have anything to do with you anytime if you aren't riding motorbikes, driving cars or getting in fights. They are of no consequence if you just walk about and do your daily routines. My opinion is that if your money is running out then going home and working is the only answer. If you can not work at home then compare living here to your home country on the same money. I think you might find Thailand a bit better for you in that case.

You mention that you are trying to spend as little as possible in order to put money away into a 'rainy day fund'

This sounds like you are not as bad off as some of the posters seem to think

How much are you able to put aside into your rainy day fund every month?

How much do you think you'd be able to put aside into your rainy day fund if you were living back in the west?

If you're not able to benefit from the good stuff Pattaya has to offer it might be better for you to stay in your room in your home country.

However, a few months back home might make you realize you should have just taken advantage of Pattaya more.

• Like 1

The way you describe your life here, it looks pretty much like back home... just a normal life... but combined with the goodies that pattaya has to offer that you did not have back home (all year good weather, nice people, good food, what ever difference you like here compared to back home...) and it really is up to you to decide whether that is enough for you or not...

If then you decide that you are missing the going out and taking girls back because of lacking assets or if you are afraid that you don't have the assets to secure your future, then you really must think about going back to your country of origin and accumulate more assets until the time comes where you can settle back to Thailand without fears about world economy...

Set your priorities and make the right decision for you... don't ask others whether your current life style is right for you or not...

• Like 2

Going back to Europe every other year for about 3 months, thatr's what I do. This shows me time and again how I would live there on the same budget as I live here on.

Europe sure has things going for it, but overall I live better in SE Asia, at least as long as the health holds.

Insurances and gym are luxury items, not basics.

Why not just move somewhere a bit cheaper, Pattaya must be the most expensive town in Thailand.

Up North in CM the police try to avoid white folk, rather than try to steal from them.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Somewhat more seriously, it probably depends on if your life would be much more fabulous back home or another country. If it would even be worse, sure, why not stay? It is not realistic for most of us to live here as if we are on a full blown holiday all the time.

I agree with this, unless you have won the lottery - working here on a good salary - selling drugs - done a runner on your ex wife and taken all the money - have a good pension - are a scam artist - a fraudster - etc etc we all need to budget, I have a good pension (retired at 44) have cash in bank - no ex wives and could easily live here on 5k a week, when I was at home I went out max 2 nights a week.

It really depends on what you are happy with, I have seen posters on here bragging about how much money they spend every week only to find they run out and have to go home after a couple of years, I have no doubt many are here maxing out credit cards - on the run from police or ex wives - living on proceeds from illegal activities but eventually it catches up

Do what you are happy with, some people are quite content to stroll on the beach - read a book by the pool - go on walks etc, the main thing is live within your means and remember why you came here or rather why you left your home country, if your budgetary contraints are too great then you shouldn't be here but the OP didn't say he had no money he said he was maybe being over careful - work out a plan and do the sums depending on age and future means and see if it adds up, remember that anything can happen going forward - Thai economy could collapse (my belief) and the baht could tumble - who really knows, if you are not happy with your situation time to take a look and make some changes, good friends can help you reason things out if required

• Like 1

Imagine feeling like you do for the next 20 years? Is this a cry for help? I do not want to hurt your feelings but I honestly think you need some kind of counselling. Doesn't look like you are going to get better either, all alone and using TV for advice

• Like 2

Do what you are happy with, some people are quite content to stroll on the beach - read a book by the pool - go on walks etc, the main thing is live within your means and remember why you came here or rather why you left your home country, if your budgetary contraints are too great then you shouldn't be here but the OP didn't say he had no money he said he was maybe being over careful - work out a plan and do the sums depending on age and future means and see if it adds up, remember that anything can happen going forward - Thai economy could collapse (my belief) and the baht could tumble - who really knows, if you are not happy with your situation time to take a look and make some changes, good friends can help you reason things out if required

This is my viewpoint and Pattaya is great for the activities you mention, but if I couldn't go out at least every other night and have at least a couple of 1000 to spend then I think I'd be going back to the UK.

Some good advice in there thumbsup.gif

I try to save around 50K baht per month. Yesterday I was full of doubts but this morning my ex came over and now I'm sure it's worth it to stay, at least for now giggle.gif Let's give it one more year and see how it goes, and anyways I wouldn't want to miss the sumptuous buffet at the 10y TV party tongue.png