Pattaya On A Budget Is It Really Worth It ?

yoslim

You are not enjoying yourself , you are afraid your money will stop or run out , you are in a 2nd world country where things are cheaper barely living , you are 30 years old with no job ....... you think maybe the no job part might have something to do with it ?

The longer you go with no employment the harder it will be to get employed but I can promise you this ......... eventually you will need a job and when you look back you will realise that all the time you spent not having a good time was mostly because you didn't have a job in the first place. But you will defenitly look at it was a huge waste of time and a mistake when you are 45. If you were actually having a good time it would be a different thing. Most people actually need to work or benefit from working beyond the paycheck , sitting around like a bump on a log has negetive psycological consequences that you are realising now.

The job isn't so much about the money as being a contributing member of society which is why people like Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerburg continue to work even though they don't need the money ..... You are 30 years old acting like you are 65 , of course it grates on your mind , because you know better , not because you are a burden on anyone but because you know 30 year olds shouldn't be sitting around doing nothing in the prime of their lives ..... keep doing what you are doing and it will get worse and worse and worse ...... Get a job and things will get better.

I had a good job but I didn't enjoy myself more, in fact my life was even way more boring back home. I really don't feel like going back to a full time ass licking job right now, maybe if the money really runs out then I will look at my options ermm.gif

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok since you came on here asking for advice/opinions maybe you'd like to fill us all in on where exactly your income is coming from, it's going to either be -

Government handouts plus some sort of redundancy payment

A family member passed away plus some of the above

You won the lottery

You're maxing out your credit cards

or you made it all up

please share

Some people I met in real life think I'm a clown ermm.gif

I get a redundancy payment but it's not going to last and got a small portfolio of stocks who is supposed to generate some income...

I would never abuse/live off government welfare sick.gif

You are not enjoying yourself , you are afraid your money will stop or run out , you are in a 2nd world country where things are cheaper barely living , you are 30 years old with no job ....... you think maybe the no job part might have something to do with it ?

The longer you go with no employment the harder it will be to get employed but I can promise you this ......... eventually you will need a job and when you look back you will realise that all the time you spent not having a good time was mostly because you didn't have a job in the first place. But you will defenitly look at it was a huge waste of time and a mistake when you are 45. If you were actually having a good time it would be a different thing. Most people actually need to work or benefit from working beyond the paycheck , sitting around like a bump on a log has negetive psycological consequences that you are realising now.

The job isn't so much about the money as being a contributing member of society which is why people like Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerburg continue to work even though they don't need the money ..... You are 30 years old acting like you are 65 , of course it grates on your mind , because you know better , not because you are a burden on anyone but because you know 30 year olds shouldn't be sitting around doing nothing in the prime of their lives ..... keep doing what you are doing and it will get worse and worse and worse ...... Get a job and things will get better.

I had a good job but I didn't enjoy myself more, in fact my life was even way more boring back home. I really don't feel like going back to a full time ass licking job right now, maybe if the money really runs out then I will look at my options ermm.gif

Brilliant strategy ..... good luck with that

Exactly right.

Some people I met in real life think I'm a clown ermm.gif

I get a redundancy payment but it's not going to last and got a small portfolio of stocks who is supposed to generate some income...

I would never abuse/live off government welfare sick.gif

ok although I only believe half of what you say I'm going to give you a frank and honest reply

1. You are not retired - if you think you are then you are delusional

2. Assuming you realise the above - then you will need to work

3. Assuming you realise both points above - Rather than blow all your money now it would be better that you get a job as soon as possible and save your capital before you piss it down the drain.

I have known a few people like you here in Thailand perhaps even older and they have ended up either dead or in jail, losing a job is no fun but becoming pennyless and no job is 100x worse, very few people can retire at your age - that is how it is - so you need to do a reality check and get yourself back to your home country and hit the reset button - if you have a trade there is a shortage of tradesmen in Australia and they are well paid - if you don't have a trade take a few courses and get your life back on track then you can see from there

What you are doing now has only one ending - on the ropes and possibly deep depression

Thanks for the honest advice, you might be right but back home I have no place to stay, no job, no gf and all my friends are busy with their family life and it would be a big loss of face for me to go back now sad.png

I know you want to break my dream but I'm not yet ready to give it up rolleyes.gif yet

Thanks for the honest advice, you might be right but back home I have no place to stay, no job, no gf and all my friends are busy with their family life and it would be a big loss of face for me to go back now sad.png

I know you want to break my dream but I'm not yet ready to give it up rolleyes.gif yet

I've been living here in SEA for 4 years and I came here with nothing but some credit cards. After a few years I finally figured out a way to make money just using my laptop. I had no money just a lot of skill in doing what I do and I do it very well. Ignore the people who tell you to go home. If you can earn a living here you never have to go home ever again.

Smedley is correct that retirement at 30 is dilusional especially if you don't have an income stream to fund 50 plus years of "ar_e time". Living here and roatating back to your country to get periodic work to fund your lifestyle seems more sensible to me. The other option of getting work in Thailand is also a great choice as others have done.

Your statement about having to lose "face" if you had to return home is too funny - you sound Thai already!whistling.gif You have to be flexible with life - especially at 30 years old. Plan B could be find a nice Thai lady to enjoy your life with and return home with her to keep you company, contribute financially and keep you warm on cold nights.

Good luck.

Perhaps you should define your dream ?As it is now you go out less than once a week, spending 300 baht or so if and when you do.You gave up on woman already, and now you're looking for a 2000 baht loom.Still nothing wrong with that if your dream is to live as cheap as possible,but since you made the thread if it is worth it ?i think you are no longer living your dream.btw i'm not living my dream either, i'm stuck in a relation and i cant drive drunk anymore,and since i also refuse taxi i can't go out either

I did save up to come live in thailand, this was my dream... and I'm not ready to go home so I start to look at cutting down costs...

I think I started this thread on a bad day but it made me realize all I want is stay here even if it means having less money

I did save up to come live in thailand, this was my dream... and I'm not ready to go home so I start to look at cutting down costs...

I think I started this thread on a bad day but it made me realize all I want is stay here even if it means having less money

Get Naam to teach you how to invest that B50,000 a month. By the time you reach 50 you should be sittin' pretty.

you might be right but back home I have no place to stay, no job, no gf and all my friends are busy with their family life and it would be a big loss of face for me to go back now. This statement is ridiculous.

You are 30 !!!!! You can save 50k per month but cannot afford to get a room back home and find a job, gf or friends there?

I would like to know how long you have been here and at your age what are you doing for visas? You are not on a retirement visa, no Work permit or job etc. How many visa runs do you think you can get?

Try going to Text and Talk or one of those places, get a TEFL certificate and teach English or something.

You have this post saying you are afraid to go out, you cannot make friends or find a gf, you have no job, no way of getting visas

Another post you are looking for 2000k per month rooms and your latest post is asking if it is ok to cook with tap water.

I am 100% not trying to flame but dude you need help.

Even if you have maxed out on 3 back to back 90 day visas you have still been here less than a year so what will you do for your next visa mate?

Dude, if you are depressed just say so man. Maybe some of us can help you before it gets worse? I have been there and back living in Thailand.

Edited by Gone

the 50,000 was a typo as I stated on the 2000 baht room thread, I only save 5,000

Lots of options for visas, ED, TR double entry, 15 days border runs. I was actually thinking that someone living next to the border with Malaysia would have unlimited free visas as you don't have to pay to enter Malaysia

edit: and if I get in trouble for visas I can always move to Cambodia for a while :)

Edited by yoslim

the 50,000 was a typo as I stated on the 2000 baht room thread, I only save 5,000

Lots of options for visas, ED, TR double entry, 15 days border runs. I was actually thinking that someone living next to the border with Malaysia would have unlimited free visas as you don't have to pay to enter Malaysia

edit: and if I get in trouble for visas I can always move to Cambodia for a while smile.png

But as said Tourist visas back to back don't work forever. If you are only saving 5k per month then 15 day visa runs get expensive and as far as ED visas go, you have to have the motivation to take some type of Education which might be a great idea in your case as you will meet people and give you something to do.

Living next to the Malaysian boarder is a strange idea and sounds real fun......NOT.

If you move to Cambodia do you think things will be any different there? Have you ever been there? Many have chose to and nothing wrong with that but you also need to have a life, income etc. too.

Edited by Gone

I change my previous post... As 5 k per month savings is way different than 50k per month

If you are set on saying you really do need to find a job as continueing to try and cu expenses until your money is gone is not a long term solution

If receiving redundancy payout, this should be used to support yourself while you find a new job and is not a retirement solution

If you can get a new job quickly, you can actually save and invest the funds received as redundancy payment. Depending on the amount, this may help to create a decent best egg for future retirement

This has got to be a troll post.

If not you know the answer already. Bye Bye.

The longer this goes on the more I agree with Tolley's post above.

Yes you got me, I'm actually driving around in my brand new Ferrari with my new hi-so Chinese Thai GF.

I had to let go of my ex top model American Forbes 500 heir GF as she really never adjusted to life in Thailand. I tried to get her to go to Thai Classes, Gym, Yoga, Volunteer Work, Lion's Club, even bought her a puppy but nothing worked and she kept bitching at how much she missed life of the Upper East Side in NYC so I told her to go home and she left me ermm.gif

Luckily I didn't stay alone for long, an Ivy League graduate billionaire entrepreneur doesn't stay single long anyways, I attract girls like honey to bees giggle.gif Sorry I won't invite you for free fine wine & dine as my life is so fulfilling I have nothing to prove to broke expats cheesy.gif