Bangkok Warned Of Flood Threat As Heavy Rain Predicted

webfact

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all those stupid enough to blaim Yingluck, it has always been happening and always will until Bangkok is relocated.

But who was the stupidest of all to make eliminating floods a campaign promise?

Good-bye Floods

I remember this campaign poster a few months ago:

posteract.jpg

For those of you who can't read Thai, it says, "Goodbye Floods!" And yet another campaign promise bites the dust.

Edited by Buchholz

To all those stupid enough to blaim Yingluck, it has always been happening and always will until Bangkok is relocated.

Flooding in BKK has been going on for decades. Bangkok is also sinking / subsiding by 1.2 to 1.7 cm per year......

Lots of places used to flood. London used to flood. Just because a place has a history of flooding, doesn't mean you shrug your shoulders and say "well nothing we can do about that, just the way it will always be".

No way am I shrugging my shoulders or sloping them. My point is that people expect a one year old government administration to fix all aspects of a flooding problem forthwith without looking at past administrations failures. TVF members are the most rabid it seems.

Flooding in BKK has been going on for decades. Bangkok is also sinking / subsiding by 1.2 to 1.7 cm per year......

Lots of places used to flood. London used to flood. Just because a place has a history of flooding, doesn't mean you shrug your shoulders and say "well nothing we can do about that, just the way it will always be".

No way am I shrugging my shoulders or sloping them. My point is that people expect a one year old government administration to fix all aspects of a flooding problem forthwith without looking at past administrations failures. TVF members are the most rabid it seems.

I think this government is to blame for having set high expectations with the Thai people. Continuous updates about how well all is going, inspection tours by the PM, new commissions to supervise/control/advise other commissions. Next we do have some flooding and we're back at contradictions in why some places get flooded, 'we didn't forsee', 'we do our best', THB 120 billion allocated to (no details), etc., etc.

Had the government been somewhat more subdued about their measures people would more readily accept that things are in progress. IMHOwai.gif

• Like 1

Particularly those that weren't rewarded for their situation with hundreds of millions of baht. She directly benefitted from the family's corruption and thefts of the country' s resources.

She's neither a child nor mentally incompetent.

Some may care to argue that the way these sorts of Sino-Thai families work, family members really have little choice but to carry on age-old traditions such as keeping businesses within the family, but i think in Yingluck and Thaksin case, that argument lacks some strength because this is not a Chinese daughter under the command and obligation of her father/parents dynamic, this is a sister under the command and obligation of a brother. I don't believe brothers generally hold that degree of power over sisters, whereby the sister is obliged to become a part of the brother's business.

Bottom line, she made her own choices, she accepted the untold wealth, glitz and glamour that she was offered for little in return, and now she is being made to do a little pay back.

He is the family patriarch and as such rules all and especially those younger and female.

Makes no difference father uncle or older brother, in the clan the patriarch rules absolutely on basic needs and functions of the clan moving forward.

Edited by animatic

Interestingly enough, it does seem to be only the 'foreign' contingent who are most upset about the new flooding. Most Thai's I've spoken to don't seem to give a dam_n one way or another. Speaks volumes that.

I am assuming you were not talking to people flooded out of their homes and businesses or to the families of those that died in these recent floods.
  • Like 2

Interestingly enough, it does seem to be only the 'foreign' contingent who are most upset about the new flooding. Most Thai's I've spoken to don't seem to give a dam_n one way or another. Speaks volumes that.

I am assuming you were not talking to people flooded out of their homes and businesses or to the families of those that died in these recent floods.

Yes, obviously those directly affected would probably have a different opinion.

• Like 1

Yes, obviously those directly affected would probably have a different opinion.

Your point is 100% incorrect. I dont believe anybody would believe all aspects of Thailand's flooding problems could be solved in one year or ever for that fact. The fact is, shortly after last years flood disaster, this administration gave the directive and the funds for the first phase of Thailand's flood prevention program. This was to repair, replace, extend, dredge, clean, ect, existing flood prevention systems. It was not an unachievable goal by any means, especially with the taxpayer money put fourth to get it done. Not only did they make unbelievable predictions, of no more flooding, they failed in the basic's of remedial work, and the people they promised to make safer.
  • Like 1

Your point is 100% incorrect. I dont believe anybody would believe all aspects of Thailand's flooding problems could be solved in one year or ever for that fact. The fact is, shortly after last years flood disaster, this administration gave the directive and the funds for the first phase of Thailand's flood prevention program. This was to repair, replace, extend, dredge, clean, ect, existing flood prevention systems. It was not an unachievable goal by any means, especially with the taxpayer money put fourth to get it done. Not only did they make unbelievable predictions, of no more flooding, they failed in the basic's of remedial work, and the people they promised to make safer.

Well put, most of us expected more work to have been done. But in fact not much has been done for the money spend. This levee was checked according to the government and still failed. What hope is there then for the rest.

Well put, most of us expected more work to have been done. But in fact not much has been done for the money spend. This levee was checked according to the government and still failed. What hope is there then for the rest.

I had not heard/read the failed wall was identified. If that is true, it makes things even more scary.

I am glad I built my home far away from any flood problems. Reading guys hourly updates on their homes flooding is heart breaking..

I had not heard/read the failed wall was identified. If that is true, it makes things even more scary.

I am glad I built my home far away from any flood problems. Reading guys hourly updates on their homes flooding is heart breaking..

I cant confirm this actually but some Thais said to me that YL has inspected many sites and other sites were ordered to be inspected. They said this was part of it. So its hearsay ill be honest.

Yes last year i was flooded but here it did not flood fast just a few cm per day. But all those cm's added up to 70 cm in the streets and 20-25 in the house. I hope i am spared that this time.

Its probably the reason why i attack the government so much because im sensitive on this subject. In general i accept that all parties are corrupt but it just makes me angry that something this important is not given the priority that other things is given like mr T his home coming.

If you hear the reports from members that places still have not been dredged ect just shows that money does not go where it should go.

Ah....Yes, the reality of the situation.

Apart from the frothers and spittlers on here, the rest of the country is going about it's business.

As normal.

Thanks for your injection of reality.

Ah....Yes, the reality of the situation.

Apart from the frothers and spittlers on here, the rest of the country is going about it's business.

As normal.

Thanks for your injection of reality.

Kinda depends where you live, the moment it gets near the Thais will speak about it. We were flooded and here people are talking about it. Its still far from here and hopefully will never get here but it is in peoples minds here.

Hear hear. How much to raise the banks of the chao praya from bangkok to sukhothai by 3 ms?

120 BILLION not enough????????:-(

Hear hear. How much to raise the banks of the chao praya from bangkok to sukhothai by 3 ms?

120 BILLION not enough????????:-(

Froth and spittle buys a lot of dams.

• Like 1

Froth and spittle buys a lot of dams.

Eloquent, dear phil. Mind you a wee bit of an explanation might be in order. I mean 'froth and spittle' doesn't even translate to "pecunia non olet" and we do like something solid as collateral rolleyes.gif

I said: >>>No way am I shrugging my shoulders or sloping them. My point is that people expect a one year old government administration to fix all aspects of a flooding problem forthwith without looking at past administrations failures. TVF members are the most rabid it seems. <<<<<<

Dcutman said: >>>>> Your point is 100% incorrect. I dont believe anybody would believe all aspects of Thailand's flooding problems could be solved in one year or ever for that fact. The fact is, shortly after last years flood disaster, this administration gave the directive and the funds for the first phase of Thailand's flood prevention program. This was to repair, replace, extend, dredge, clean, ect, existing flood prevention systems. It was not an unachievable goal by any means, especially with the taxpayer money put fourth to get it done. Not only did they make unbelievable predictions, of no more flooding, they failed in the basic's of remedial work, and the people they promised to make safer.<<<<<

Rather bold statement, 100%, don't you think? Re-read my comment.... If you've been here for a while, then you should rightly know: there has never been a good flood prevention plan, corruption on a large scale has been rampant (more than 120B Baht) over the years for many different types of construction - some being canals, floodways, roads, bridges, etc. and finally, that the Thais like and live for the feel-good concept. Hence, the no-flooding statement. That's one of the real reasons advertising does so well here - one born a minute! They don't want to hear bad news - period.

• Like 1

@rilalex

The warning system that you are talking about would be great. But that would be the same as admitting they can't handle something. They kept saying there would be no flooding just to safe face.

I was in the same boat as you government telling us no flooding then only a lil bit and then it was too late. This time i just rely on myself i will be checking upstream / higher places where the water came from last time. If they get flooded i have a few days to make preparations.

I doubt we can trust this government for any good information that might embarrass them. I mean the white lie minister is part of this government he was just stupid enough to admit it The others probably practice the same thing but wont admit it.

• Like 2

I was in the same boat as you

Don't remember seeing a fellow pasty-skinned big-nosecheesy.gif. Where were you sat? Front or back?

Seriously though, sorry for what you lost and what you endured. Hope your area stays dry this year. Nonthaburi right?

Yes Nothaburi so just watch me if you are down stream from that. If i get flooded its probably serious.Our village never flooded in 40 years or so, (before that no village). But i will check things myself this year. By doing so i got enough time to make real preparations.

Don't remember seeing a fellow pasty-skinned big-nosecheesy.gif. Where were you sat? Front or back?

Seriously though, sorry for what you lost and what you endured. Hope your area stays dry this year. Nonthaburi right?

Yes Nothaburi so just watch me if you are down stream from that. If i get flooded its probably serious.Our village never flooded in 40 years or so, (before that no village). But i will check things myself this year. By doing so i got enough time to make real preparations.

If you have not been flooded in 2006 it is quite unlikely you are mot going to be flooded this year. If you do, I tend to beleive it is articially done rather (due to poor coordination of dams releases) than natural flood. I don't think they have acute problem this year to a point that they have to make decisions under duress, unlike last year.

Rather bold statement, 100%, don't you think? Re-read my comment.... If you've been here for a while, then you should rightly know: there has never been a good flood prevention plan, corruption on a large scale has been rampant (more than 120B Baht) over the years for many different types of construction - some being canals, floodways, roads, bridges, etc. and finally, that the Thais like and live for the feel-good concept. Hence, the no-flooding statement. That's one of the real reasons advertising does so well here - one born a minute! They don't want to hear bad news - period.

I think everyone appreciates that this sort of nonsense is nothing new, and i think everyone appreciates that the flooding problem not having been dealt with lies not only with this current administration, but with those that came before and also failed to sort things out. But that being said, the floods of last year were different from those Thailand has had to bear for many of the years prior under different administrations, in that on this occasion, so many more millions of people were affected and so many more millions of baht were lost. That meant the onus and responsibility has fallen on this particular mob. Have they done well, well they haven't had much time and a lot of their work has yet to be tested, so for me, the jury is out. I'll reserve judgment. I do have concerns though.

The one thing i really felt should have been their main priority and should have proved an easier task than actually preventing floods, was establishing a warning system that was accurate and reliable and that people could rely upon. In my area last year, so much of the damage was done purely because of misinformation. For a long time we were told there would be no floods, people stayed in their homes and carried on with their businesses. Then suddenly as the water came, we were told we might get flooded, but no higher than knee-height in the roads, which meant our homes and businesses would be relatively safe. So people continued to stay in their homes, but the water just kept coming and coming. A lot of my neighbours had cars on bricks in their drives. Driving them off the bricks would have submerged them too deep to drive, so cars were left. Furniture was also elevated on bricks - furniture that couldn't practically be moved upstairs. All destroyed. The water came right up to neck level in my home, above the head in the street. Easy to say in hindsight people should have evacuated earlier, but a lot of people can't afford to just stop working and move all their worldly possessions on the off-chance there might be neck high floods. Perhaps next time they will though?!. With the amount of rain that came last night, i'm sure it is going through everyone's mind, at least where i live. I appreciate for some of you unaffected, this means nothing and you can't understand what the fuss is about and dismiss it as froth and spittle, and go on with your tireless defence of anything and everything that this government does.

With regards to your final sentence, my house and business has been flooded out chest deep at least 4 times in the last 4 years, so I do understand how it feels.

You equating my postings as being in defence of the government shows a certain lack of comprehension on your part.

Criticism of group A does not amount to approval of group B.

If you have not been flooded in 2006 it is quite unlikely you are mot going to be flooded this year. If you do, I tend to beleive it is articially done rather (due to poor coordination of dams releases) than natural flood. I don't think they have acute problem this year to a point that they have to make decisions under duress, unlike last year.

No floods in 2006 here, its just that i don't trust them for news anymore. So ill have to check things myself.I also don't expect floods but i rather make some preparations. You never know here because the information you get might not be true just like last year.

@rilalex

The warning system that you are talking about would be great. But that would be the same as admitting they can't handle something. They kept saying there would be no flooding just to safe face.

I was in the same boat as you government telling us no flooding then only a lil bit and then it was too late. This time i just rely on myself i will be checking upstream / higher places where the water came from last time. If they get flooded i have a few days to make preparations.

I doubt we can trust this government for any good information that might embarrass them. I mean the white lie minister is part of this government he was just stupid enough to admit it The others probably practice the same thing but wont admit it.

If you stay beside the Chao Pharaya dowstream to either Bhumibol or Sirkit or both, be sensitive to water releases via their sluice gates. It sholud be zero by now. But they (Plant owners / the authorities) might opt for hedging the future major flood risk by purposely creating many small floods now. To me, base on the current storage levels for both dams such strategy is counter productive. Unless they are unclear about what they are going to achieve. I tend to believe this is the case. Sorry if I'm wrong.

I would say as long as the gates are kept closed, >98% chances you are not going to be flooded this year.

@rilalex

There is something they can handle, their bank accounts.bah.gif

With regards to your final sentence, my house and business has been flooded out chest deep at least 4 times in the last 4 years, so I do understand how it feels.

Then you have my sincere sympathies.

You equating my postings as being in defence of the government shows a certain lack of comprehension on your part.

Criticism of group A does not amount to approval of group B.

Well, i find it hard to comprehend it any other way when the topic concerns a present issue and all your criticism focuses on what has happened in the past, under previous administrations, as if the present acts of the present administration have no bearing. Nobody denies that past administrations have failed to deal with this problem, but we can't demand past administrations go back in time and rectify what they didn't do. We can demand things of the current administration. As tax payers, even if not voters, i believe we have that right, don't you? Do you really think belittling such people, for whom their lives and livelihoods depend on this matter, by calling them frothers, is reasonable?