Yingluck, Abhisit To Seek Answers: Southern Unrest

webfact

SOUTHERN UNREST

Yingluck, Abhisit to seek answers

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva will sit together next Tuesday to discuss the situation and consider solutions to restore peace in the restive South.

Yingluck said she had instructed her deputy Chalerm Yoobamrung to send an invitation letter to Abhisit and Democrat MPs to join in the meeting which she will chair at the Government House on Tuesday.

The idea to have such a meeting was floated by Chalerm weeks ago but Abhisit said he would only attend if Yingluck was there. Violence in the predominantly Muslim region erupted in early 2004, killing more than 5,000 people so far. Governments have been struggling to contain the violence and many methods employed by authorities have not worked.

Chalerm floated an idea recently to hold governor elections for the three southernmost provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat.

Conservative politicians opposed the idea, saying polls would not solve the problem but would separate the three provinces from Thailand. Chalerm replied he would add the resort island of Phuket to the group of provinces and hold an election for governor's post, proving that such an election was possible and would not lead to the island being separated.

Chalerm added that the issue would be discussed at a meeting with opposition politicians next week, in the hope that the Democrats - who have a strong presence in the South - would agree to join the meeting.

Abhisit said he had accepted the invitation and that his fellow party members were ready to cooperate with the government. "The deep South is a major issue in the country, so it's important to have the prime minister in command, at least to prevent confusion among operational agencies," he said.

Government agencies and officials should speak the same language, he said, suggesting that if the military began negotiating with insurgents, then Chalerm should not oppose it.

A number of insurgents led by Wae-aricopter Waji reportedly proposed to turn themselves as part of a plea bargain scheme under Article 21 of the Security Law - but Chalerm said those who had committed criminal acts had no right to bargain for amnesty.

The military appears to have contradicted itself when Fourth Army Region Commander Udomchai Thammasarorat said yesterday that no such negotiations were underway. Yet, at the same time the military opened dialogue with concerned parties to seek a way to end the violence. For those who have committed crimes, the military said it would help give them access to justice.

Many insurgents are accused of committing crimes such as shooting and bombing, while Wae-aricopter has a Bt1-million bounty on his head.

Abhisit, meanwhile, said the government needed a clear policy on the matter and Yingluck should make the decisions, otherwise the operation would be confused.

"If have a chance to meet the prime minister, I will suggest many things, notably the operational structure and the role of the premier in the chain of command," he said.

Abhisit proposed debating the issue in Parliament, but Yingluck is unlikely to want such open discussion.

The former PM, however, said that Yingluck, as prime minister, had the responsibility of taking an important issue such as this one to Parliament.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-13

Isn't there a contradiction here?

"Abhisit said he had accepted the invitation and that his fellow party members were ready to cooperate with the government. "The deep South is a major issue in the country, so it's important to have the prime minister in command, at least to prevent confusion among operational agencies," he said.

Government agencies and officials should speak the same language, he said, suggesting that if the military began negotiating with insurgents, then Chalerm should not oppose it."

If Abhisit is correct ,and I believe he is, that the PM should be in overall control and that there should be co-ordination between the government agencies, then the military should clear its approach with the government in advance.Thus the question of Chalerm opposing the army holding negotiations should not arise.There is surely some central security committee which covers this ground.I would want to know why the military should be leading the negotiations anyway, though could be convinced this is appropriate.Any takers?

Actually not for the first time I feel I may be taking newspaper reports too literally.In practice I'm sure there is quite close cooperation among government agencies.In other comparable situations such as N.Ireland the military did not participate in negotiations except at the margin.

A number of insurgents led by Wae-aricopter Waji reportedly proposed to turn themselves as part of a plea bargain scheme under Article 21 of the Security Law - but Chalerm said those who had committed criminal acts had no right to bargain for amnesty.

Unless your name begins with a T...

Democrat Party to join govt in “Southern Unrest” meeting

BANGKOK, 13 September 2012 (NNT) – The Democrat Party has accepted an invitation from the government to participate in next week’s meeting regarding solutions to the southern unrest.

According to Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, the party has accepted the invitation sent by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to join the meeting on September 18. The meeting is held to discuss on solutions to the southern unrest.

Mr. Abhisit said it is a good opportunity for both sides to sit down and together solve the ongoing problem which has become a national agenda. He believes this cooperation will create unity and efficiency in solving the problem as well as reducing conflicts and misunderstanding between policy planners and those who bring the policy into action.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-09-13 footer_n.gif

Good to see the leaders finally showing some leadership on this, and by that I mean placing the nation's interests ahead of party politics. Only hope it can be sustained. It's what the country needs more than ever ...

Totally agree. Real reconciliation is what's needed for the south.

• Like 1

Good to see the leaders finally showing some leadership on this, and by that I mean placing the nation's interests ahead of party politics. Only hope it can be sustained. It's what the country needs more than ever ...

Actually Yingluck had no choice. Abhist said they would be glad to have a meeting if she would attend. In the mean time the violence continued and Abhist did talk to a former Malaysian PM about what could be done about the situation. Some say the man was a dirty politician a long time ago and maybe they are right but that does not necessarily mean he still is or he dosen't want to see peace in the region.

In the mean time Yingluck changed nothing she just continued on with her Photo Ops and shopping sprees. I shouldn't say that as she has recently shown signs of knowing what her job is and doing some of it.

She screwed up big time when she visited the deep south and never went back. I believe that if she was to have followed up with several more visits it would have made a big difference in the attitude the South has towards the rest of Thailand. It would have shown them that she cared. Even if she didn't

• Like 2

Abhisit, meanwhile, said the government needed a clear policy on the matter and Yingluck should make the decisions, otherwise the operation would be confused.

Which also indicates that he's got a brain, others don't Looking forward to ASEAN. Peace as one goal? Gotta be kidding.

How should the ASEAN community work, if they can't even solve their own problems?----wai.gif

Edited by sirchai

At last. The Ruling Party have realised that all members of the Government are a source of knowledge.

No predictions, but this is a start and I hope Thailand benefits enormously from it.

Yes, good show and as since the south is a Dem and Prem stronghold, they can sort out now what they didn't in the recent / not-so-recent past.

At last. The Ruling Party have realised that all members of the Government are a source of knowledge.

No predictions, but this is a start and I hope Thailand benefits enormously from it.

Yes, good show and as since the south is a Dem and Prem stronghold, they can sort out now what they didn't in the recent / not-so-recent past.

Was there a 'press to fix' button?

It seems that this and similar problems worldwide, can't be placed at Abhisit's door to fix. A Government solution is required.

Abhisit has placed Yingluck in an apparent win-win. There's no guarantee, but she will (hopefully), be seen to spend her time doing her job rather than running around the photo ops.