Wife And Step Son

kennedy

I'm 64 wife is 60 her boy 26.I've been banged up over the years, the wife is in great phyisical condition up at 5am every morning and never stops.The boy works for citi bank.That being said, they want to start a small farm, lemon trees and mushrooms, Being crippled up I don't think I can contribute much.How would you approach this?So much for retirement I guess....

I do not joke, that when I tried to help, it was looked upon, as I thought they didn't know what they were doing [which was right often ] and as the boss you are not supposed to get involved in mere labor.

As I said on an earlier thread, FIL said to me it is better to swing in a hammock than sweat. It is what is expected of not only older people, but those who are in-charge.

You will not see it in Thailand or in the west, bosses watch, workers work. Jim

Jim is right. Stay out of the physical stuff.

However your job should be to manage it as a business so you don't end up throwing loads of money away.

If your boy works for a bank get him to draw up a basic financial plan then try to pick holes in it. He should at least have some appreciation of the money required etc

I don`t think anybody expects you to do any actual work.Normally,what is expected is,that you make the investment ! After that,if the investment pays off,they keep the profit.If not,you keep the bills.Which you have to do anyway,whatever the outcome...

Regarding "beeing the boss and not take part",I have a different experience.I have found,that people respect very much what I do,and see me "as one of them".Does not mean,that they don`t care about my instructions,quite the opposit,since they know,that I am familiar with the work and they can not cheat me!! Good luck!

Thanks for the feed back.One thing I don't worry about is money,and don't worry about the wife and boy cheating me.Both are the most honest people I've ever met in my life.I feel sorry for people that have no trust in their family.I have not figured out a way to take my money with me when I die.

Can anyone help me out on that one?

Thanks for the feed back.One thing I don't worry about is money,and don't worry about the wife and boy cheating me.Both are the most honest people I've ever met in my life.I feel sorry for people that have no trust in their family.I have not figured out a way to take my money with me when I die.

More than happy to help out, I'll PM you the bank account details so you can deposit the money in the ether where it will await for your arrival. smile.png

And I feel sorry for those that lose their life savings because of misplaced trust in their family.

As your stepson works in a bank, he is possibly in a good position to arrange a business loan for this venture.

If you wish to make a financial contribution, you could maybe put in the deposit on the land or a % of the start-up costs.

kennedy: Perhaps I expressed myself a bit wrongly;i did not necerssarily meant you,when I wrote about the bills,more a general observation.From what you say about your wife and son,they seem to be hardworking and good people! But to say something "in general" again,I have found,that most people are honest,untill they are really put to the test! Even siblings,daughters and sons,sometimes fight about who can get the most money,and don`t care about,who will be hurt in the process.... Anyway,about the business;10 years ago,I think it was,building huts and growing mushroom was the big craze for a time.It ended after less than a year,so I guess it did not pay off.But there are different kinds of mushroom,so who knows.... Regarding lemon/manau,it can be rewarding,but only for short periods at times.That said,it can be fun,just to see things grow,better than staying in a hammoc all day,doing nothing...

Might I warmly suggest a different approach that might achieve the goals you wish?

If you wish to achieve the following goals ...

• Enjoyment in your retirement years.
  • Create a legacy for your Thai Family
  • Capture that enjoyment of watching things grow from your own hand.
  • Enjoy the serenity that Farm life offers.
  • Benefit your health by eating the fruits of your labour.

... don't going to 'Farming'

Intensive Farming designed to create a profit and a living wage is a huge risk.

Go into a lifestyle of rural living which is a hobby.

So, you have identified that you don't need the income from Farming, so why not, just relax, buy a small acreage?

Have enough of a property that your wife’s seemingly inexhaustive energy will be expended caring for the Farm and your good self.

You will create a legacy for her and your Thai Family when 'you go up' (assuming that you predecease her).

There are also heaps of ways to engage yourself on the Farm with all types of physical disabilities.

Grow beds can be raised for easy access.

post-104736-0-18104200-1347744962_thumb.

Make a small pond for fishing.

Make your retirement years enjoyable ... biggrin.png

Kennedy........all good advice above, but I have to sway to David48 for his advice.

Mate it is Your life.....I know you wish to keep your wife and stepson happy, simple fact........you cannot make others happy unless you are already happy yourself.

Go for the hammock.....that's what I do. Life is too short.

Cheers.

• Like 1