Driving In Germany With A Thai Licence

JAS21

Guys

I'm off to Germany in a week or so and it would be useful to hire a CAR. Unfortunately I've not renewed the photo on my UK licence so I can't use it. I have a Thai licence.

Anyone know what I need and where to get it to be able to drive in Germany ............ thanks

Unfortunately I've not renewed the photo on my UK licence so I can't use it

Carry your passport together with your UK licence in case someone takes offence at your picture. Providing of course you have not changed your name.

I believe you can. I have used my Thai Driving License in Turkey, Greece and Italy with no problem. I think Germany should be OK too. But like the other posts said: Carry your international driving permit with you just in case. It's easy to obtain it as long as you have your 5 yrs driving license with you.

I still have my old German licence ("Lappen") that raised an eyebrow once in a police control but hey, it says life long validity.

If you live here for more than a year afaik, the Thai licence is valid but it will end you up in arguments.

sent from my Android phone

Hi

I’ve used my Thai license in the UK twice now and it’s not a Thai international one……..Just the bog standard one.

Each time I used it at Manchester Airport to hire a car…….They didn’t batter an eyelid.

But that’s the UK……Sorry don’t know about Germany.

I may be wrong but from my understanding, when I first wanted to use my Thai license in the UK, I had to show that I did not live in the UK…….And I was residing in the country of the license I was presenting.

Most countries in the world will accept foreign licenses if the license holder is visiting for a given period.

So do you have any utility bills, or bank statements with your name and Thai address? Take them along with your Thai license to prove you live in Thailand?

Like I said I had no problems. Fact is they are more concerned with how you will pay it, and what cards you will use!

Good luck